ETS2: Automatic gears or manual?

Cloofter

What's your style of changing gears? Do you let the truck do it, or are you a manual person? Personally manual has the advantage, especially over those pesky hills.

team_team-veteran2.png.7addb7035d220bbdb3381dc051b65869.png.8ececf112fadf55c4a71f39a3a4eee78.png Since May 2015Discord: Shaun#4513

Community Member since May 17th, 2015. 

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND.

Cloofter/Shaun.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is set to Simple Automatic because I don't have a shifter yet, and I've never really liked using manual shifting on controllers.

Definitely manual. You can speak with the engine with manual. With automatic you can just hear the engine but not speak with it. ;)

With manual transmission you can interact with the engine way better. With automatic it's actually very boring to drive. In rally or racing games I would choose automatic because you are faster with it but in this type of game the better way to go is to play with manual gearbox.

Hi, for me it's manual with a shifter and a clutch pedal, it's so much fun to play with the engine rpm ^^ Even if it needs an investment in a good driving wheel.

BUT, in convoys I usually use Simple Automatic because the truck accelerates faster with that and the performance mode... did you noticed that as well ? Or am I doing something wrong ?

My preference is definitely going towards manual. Even though I'd like to have a proper shifter, I am still preferring the sequential gearbox - which I currently use - over an automatic one. Back in the days when I switched from automatic to sequential, the in-game automatic was terrible, especially with heavier loads, so you could drive way more efficiently with manual gear changes. I don't know how the situation looks like with the current automatic gearboxes, as SCS has changed quite a bit in the meantime, but I won't even bother changing back to automatic, as it's just funnier and more challenging to drive with a manual gearbox. I think it just adds a bit more depth into the gameplay and makes driving a bit more challenging than just pressing a few keys/buttons/pedals...

signature.png

Visit us on stvtc.co.uk or join our Discord-channel

I like both. Im usally driving with automatic but I also like it to drive with manual. Both have advantages, with automatic you can concentrate more on the traffic and with manual you have a way better control about your truck, something that annoys me is that my truck isnt shifting into 6th gear when driving 80kmh, but when I drive manual I can do that myself. Both have adventages and disadventages. 

Why

• 2 weeks later...

In SP, it depends of the truck, just to add more realism to the game. If I'm driving a new generation Scania, I would be using an automatic transmission (with some eco / power mode, so the behavior depends on how far do you press the gas pedal), and if I'm using an old Renault, or an old Scania (like a 114h), I would be using a manual, so you know the difference about driving experience between an old truck and a new one.
 In MP, I always use manual, no matter what truck would I be driving. The experience in MP is different (in SP I use physics and truck mods, where you can't go more than 80 km/h because you will have a rollover crash), and I need total control on my truck, just for emergency situations (example: emergency braking on a hill= with an automatic: 80% of possibilities to get stuck | With a manual: having skills with the clutch is the important thing for not getting stuck.

Archived