ETS2: Automatic gears or manual?

Cloofter

Thanks for the responses! Personally after getting my G29 i've changed back to using Auto gears I use the steel shifters on the G29 to change gears if I need to get up a steep incline. 

team_team-veteran2.png.7addb7035d220bbdb3381dc051b65869.png.8ececf112fadf55c4a71f39a3a4eee78.png Since May 2015Discord: Shaun#4513

Community Member since May 17th, 2015. 

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND.

Cloofter/Shaun.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am playing with a Logitech G27 steering wheel + Shifter. So obviously I like using the H-Shifting with this setup. But sometimes I'm not entirely happy with it, because I like driving realistic.... so when I'm driving my 500 PS Dual-Clutch Volvo FH I sometimes use the automatic.

On US-Trucks the decisison was easier... 18 gears H-shift, what else? ;)

And yes, it is still my first shifter.... didn't had to replace it and it's still in excellent condition. :)

I played for a long time in automatic transmission after a while I am much preferring manual

Kind Regards,
Folatti

339458068_role_Translator(1).png.1c7213d 904932591_role_CommunityModerator(2).png

Languages: English 🇺🇸 | Portuguese 🇧🇷

Report System | Ban Appeal | Feedback System | Rules | Knowledge Base | Server Status

Need help with something, or can't find a solution to your issue? Submit a ticket with the support team here!

I really like manual H-Shifter. Automatic can be problem on hills. Also in real life I drive car with manual transmission. Unfortunately, today trusck usually have automatic, just as most of more expensive cars(Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche...). Currently I drive Porsche Panamera with 6 speed manual in real life. It's really good car.

G27 H Shifter (range-split) with a real Scania shifter complete with range and split switches so I shift all 10-12-14-16 (depending on truck and gearbox) gears manual.

I find automatics way to boring to drive, and I love a challange. Tho it can be a pain in the behind to shift the 16 speed box in a populated area on the map, and ppl often get frustrated because I'm not as fast in accelerating as they do in their 6 speed auto 750 hp truck with 0t trailer, obviously.

I use the third option, sequential, because I get the best control I can get with just a keyboard .

Personally, I find this style works very well with the 16spd Iveco box. It's just a lot more enjoyable and a lot more in control than auto. And, if you're struggling up a hill and the guy behind with 750hp and zero weight in his trailer is impatient and honking, you can only blame yourself, rather than getting annoyed at your box for changing gears badly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah manual seems like the winner, I get it's more realistic and easier to climb. I might switch back at this point.

team_team-veteran2.png.7addb7035d220bbdb3381dc051b65869.png.8ececf112fadf55c4a71f39a3a4eee78.png Since May 2015Discord: Shaun#4513

Community Member since May 17th, 2015. 

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND.

Cloofter/Shaun.

I always run manual gears, I have a wheel with 7+1  H Shifter. Typically most of my trucks are on the more "realistic" end of the spectrum without a lot of fancy bells and whistles so I usually run the 6 speed with retarder transmission for ease of use. But for heavy hauls and such I like to use the 12 speed with retarder.

On a side note the paddle shifters makes a nice easy way to switch ranges on the transmissions with more gears.

I drive wagons irl and I'm not following the whole realism thing. It could be the region difference but here in the UK, it's rare that we see a manual truck anymore, they're pretty much all automatic. Technically semi-automatic as you can typically use the stalk to shift but you get what I'm saying.

Also and correct me if I'm wrong, when using automatic in-game there is no block shifting, which is odd, given that all automatic trucks do this? I've noticed when I use automatic that it simply climbs from 1 through 12.

spacer.png

Archived