Honking (as Greeting), Appropriate or Not?

Denos

If one player honks their horn over two times, I recognize this as a hostile action,

but if another player honks exacly two times, I recognizes this thing as a friendly action,

so I honk than back exacly two times!

P.S In real life, I saw bus drivers salute at each other, but you can't do this thing in ETS2MP...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to, but now I only respond back. 
Its pretty cool at first, seeing other players in a game that you have been playing single player for so long, but after a while the novelty dies down, and when I play for ages I usulaly kick back and just play with 1 hand (Keyboard player) so I cba to reach over and press the H key every time I see a truck

?q=76561198010396994&theme=Default

i flash my high beams (once and sometimes real short) to greet but only oncoming traffic and not allways.. i also flash (faster and more often) my highbeams to warn oncoming traffic about dangers thay may have ahead.

i use my highbeams and horn like in reallife. i drive after german/eu traffic rules :)

sysp-73354.png

i only honk my horn when someone honk at me i also honk horn when i overtake someone or when on motorway/dual carriageway and someone is joining via slip road

I sometimes do that, I try to only use the normal honk for this and only use the big one to signal something is wrong to warn other drivers that they will encounter some danger zones, done it twice and was angrily replied with thankfully a language I didn't understand but it was in capslock so I guess someone yelled at me for warning them of some potential problems.

76561198104067447.png

I do neither, if someone is infront of me and they're driving like a complete moron and i beep my horn to tell them im behind them can they atleast move to the right or left and let me overtake, they could take it as a greeting and keep going. I ignore everyone who beeps their horn at me, unless i know im doing something wrong, which isnt likely, i can drive in real life so i can drive on a game just as well.

Its illegal to drive with high beams on on a motorway, so i tend not to do it, I flash to give way, but most of the time people don't see it and still wait for me

"A river starts out as a puddle, wanting to grow to something much bigger. As it grows, it begins to flow, making its presence known. After persistence, the river carves its path through the rock towards the sea. You are that river, start moving!

z_siteimages%5Cimg_2074_1395921187_826_2

4601768346.png

I always drive with my high beams at night or when the weather is bad, except in city or when lights aren't required because its bright enough, perhaps I need a better screen but even with maximum brightness, I don't see far enough at night and when it rains heavy.

same here

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

If we stuck into real life laws, obviously honking should be considered illegal, just imagine all the trucks around honking themselves just for greetings. LOL, it could be crazy. The lights can also be distracting, but are still used by lots of truckers in real life (at least, for what Ive seen here) and will never be annoying in MP.

In my opinion horn should be used for warning drivers, so much of them doing wrong things on the road receive honks for their bad or anything going wrong up ahead and will think "Oh, hi there too!". This makes honking useless.

About drivers using high beans all the time, sorry but if you are not able to drive safe with regular beans then it means you may consider going a bit slower for a while. This is a simulator, try to learn something from it instead of doing tricks that couldnt be done in real life.

lkRjRkb.png

About drivers using high beans all the time, sorry but if you are not able to drive safe with low beans then it means you may consider going a bit slower for a while. This is a simulator, try to learn something from it instead of doing tricks that couldnt be done in real life.

I have my low beams on 24/7 high beams of i am on a country road and I no there are hazards ahead (tight bends etc) although I do wish the addon lights was a little brighter on the low setting (not for adding light to the road just a better look on a truck)

Personally I beep, just a quick beep beep. I only beep oncoming traffic though. I will beep when I'm about to overtake someone also just to let them know I'm there though not as a greeting. 

I'll only flash my lights when at a junction and I'm letting someone through.

If someone lets me through a junction I'll also give a friendly thank you beep

this is the current law regarding the use of lights and horn in uk:     

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

• while stationary on the road
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger.
Law CUR reg 99

•  

and this is current uk law regarding your lights:

4. Lighting requirements (113 to 116) 113

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched 8))

You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUSTswitch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

You should also

• use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
  • keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users
  • slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
Law RVLR reg 27

•  

all taken from gov.uk

wow the uk law is quite different to the german one as far as i can see with being a lawyer.

in germany truckers all the time use ther highbeams to: greet if from same company, signal other truckers if the overtaking is finish, protest if blinded by others.. so there are is pattern for anything. afaik is something like:

greeting 1 short flash

ok after overtake: 2 short flashs

protest: 1 long flash

i think this may be used not only in germany that way.

i dont think honking for greetings is a good idea!

sysp-73354.png

Archived