Do you slow down, when you are being overtaken?

B&Č Transport ASIR [CZE]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't slow down or speed up, i just keep my velocity because other guy has to take the control and we dont wanna see something unexpectedly. So i just let him pass when i am on the same speed.

King Regards           

TruckersMP Translation Team

123.PNG

Ryotaink

When being overtaken, you should be staying at your current speed, so other road user whom are either beside you or behind you can clearly see your intention, to continue at that speed and hold your path.

Slowing down when being over taken is known as impeding traffic, because when you slow down, the driver beside you will not be able to judge your decision and end up shooting passed you, making the overtake a little more risky.

There could also be potential drivers behind you, braking will cause them to change speed (Brake also) which is classed as impeding traffic, which in the real world, in a driving test, is classed as a fault.

Best solution, hold your current speed and path, so other drivers can clearly see your intention.  

ETS2MP 2014-2017 Reunion

10 Years in TruckersMP

History

Previously known as Louie G 

Former Truckers.FM Station Manager & Presenter

For me it depends on who’s overtaking me, if it’s someone who chooses the right time to pass and is doing so in a safe manner, I’ll gentle trail brake to scrub some speed to let them pass easier, but if it’s one of those people who are already doing what seems like a billion miles an hour passed, I just keep at my cruise speed.

The only thing that I will always do when being passed is to move all the way over to the side of the road, as close as possible to the grass verge or guardrail so that in the event someone passing me encounters oncoming traffic, there is enough space for them to continue passing without making contact with me or the oncoming vehicle. 

To be fair though, it seems that some people misunderstand courteous driving for trolling or blocking, Ive had people yell at me in chat for either moving over to let someone pass me or just stopping when it’s safe and letting another truck out of either a fuel station or junction.

all depends, if its a straight road and no incoming traffic or any sort of danger for anyone on the road, then i keep the same speed(but i do not go faster at any point), but if he is reckless enough to go overtake me on a two way road with opposite traffic and all of the sudden a truck is incoming from opposite side, then i slow down. one other time when i always slow down is at turns when someone is overtaking me(no matter highway or small roads), reason behind it is, sometimes we are both going faster and need more space to make the turn, but other times and most common is when he doesnt have enough room to make the turn safely because of the speed he is going and at the same time is overtaking me, then he loses control and many times crashes into you(sadly happened many times), so those are the 2 times i always slow down.

@F U R Y Wrong. If someone is driving at a steady speed and another driver decides to overtake, it's the overtaker who needs to make sure that the overtaking can be done safely. The driver who is being overtaken simply should keep driving the same. If someone needs to slow down to avoid an accident because of oncoming traffic, it's always the overtaker's fault for not judging the situation (speed, acceleration, traffic, etc.)  correctly. Which sadly happens a lot in TMP, too many speed-fans who apparently can't stand behind and will try to overtake no matter what, forcing the slower driver to hit the brakes or swerve to a side to avoid being cut off or sidewiped.

When someone thinks to pass then they think they can pass within a reasonable amount of time considering the location and timing.  

You as the one being overtaken should not have to do anything but with desync issues from both parties, you may want to let off in case they don't give enough clearance.  I try to get at least 75-100m of room when I overtake just to ensure they don't have any issues.

If you speed up, then that's a wrong move on your part because then it can/will cause an accident with oncoming traffic.  I usually don't overtake if there are players approaching at the noticeably higher rate of speed with decreasing distance.

Some rules I follow:

Don't overtake on turns.

Don't overtake when players are oncoming.

Overtake only if I can pass within 10 seconds or if theres enough road and time as the exception.

If they speed up don't try and fight it and back down.

Give good clear indication of overtaking.

Hazards when you overtake as a gesture.

8DNR455.png.869e61a16669ab6e07db46102f6c9a56.png

8DNR455cali.png.0211d30eb8126a677c9256a883154e59.png

I literally move on as is, if you're trying to pass me then you should be faster than me already. I'm not gonna slow down for you, I might even put my foot on the gas just a tiny bit more if I don't like your truck or had a bad experience with a VTC you belong to in the past, but hey what can you do :).

only time i speed up is when another on-coming vehicle comes because lets be real, why would you slow down when the person trying to overtake you is in the wrong, see what i follow in the rules is the same to my country, if the line is broken then yeah sure free to overtake me with no hesitation but if its a double solid line then that's a red flag for me but sometimes i do slow down if there is no trucks behind me or if there are trucks behind me then of course i'm going to speed up because i'm not going to ruin their trucks for someone doing something they shouldn't be doing. 

-Ngahu Viva Trucking

I'm not driving faster than 90kmh... If I'm on a highway, I don't slow down. If I'm on a normal road, like C-D road, I don't drive faster than the speed limits says, so when I see that somebody's wanna overtake me, I just turn on the blinker and drive towards the right side of the road, to make some more space. If I'm carrying over 30 tons and my truck isn't speeding up fast enough, then I'm going to the right side of the road with a blinker on and slow down completely until everyone passed me. 

Sometimes yes, it really depends on the Situation.

Usually i don't drive faster than 90 km/h, but if i'm slower than that for any reason and someone wants to take over who can't get over 90 km/h either, i'll slow down a bit and let him past, instead of going 90 km/h too and blocking both lanes on the motorway for example.

But if someone wants to overtake while going a lot faster than i am, i won't slow down, just try to give him as much room as i can so we won't crash :thisisfine:

spacer.png

Archived