The price....

gopensgo291[youtube]

Over price   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Overpriced

• Yes
    • No

Well worth the money.

Plus, you have to remember, the money earned from this DLC will go into producing the next one. No money = no DLC's, so the price is well worth the amount of time and dedication SCS have put into it, and that reflects in the pricing.

Aestrial | Former Game and Community Manager

Are you banned?Report a player - Help - Global rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

No existe gran talento sin gran voluntad.

Not only the number of cities, DLC France has 20.000km and Scandinavia 9.000km.

76561198158535149.png                                                                                                                              ➡  My WoTr.                       

Renault Premium: 500.000km 

Renault Magnum: 257.500km   ▶

The content that we got with this dlc is just huge, the map is huge, i was playing 4 hours yesterday and i discovered only 5% of the map, its 1/5 of the map so, it is worth the money. I will probaly need around week or week and a half to get back to 94% of discovered map and around 3 months to remember all the nice roads, cities and so on, i like to have the knowledge of the map so i can have feeling like im driving in my backyard, without gps :)

Of course it is overpriced but we still end up buying it. I mean they charge over the top on DLC and in 10 years or so when the whole Europe is complete you will find out you've spent a huge amount of money on it although I would like to think something better will be out within 10 years and I'd happily ditch the game because they take far to long on new parts of the map. What they should have done is got the whole of the map complete from release and upgrade it as it goes along not add parts of it and restrict people from where they go.

14 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Of course it is overpriced but we still end up buying it. I mean they charge over the top on DLC and in 10 years or so when the whole Europe is complete you will find out you've spent a huge amount of money on it although I would like to think something better will be out within 10 years and I'd happily ditch the game because they take far to long on new parts of the map. What they should have done is got the whole of the map complete from release and upgrade it as it goes along not add parts of it and restrict people from where they go.

Danny, if you hate the game, don't play it, its that simple, no one is forcing you to play, no one is forcing you to buy the DLC, its people like you who don't understand the concept of Indie game Developers that strangle the games industry and put indie developers out of business. The reason SCS never released the whole of Europe and done it the way YOU wanted it to is simple, cost. It would have cost SCS far too much to make the whole of the map and released it all in one go. Also you wouldn't have any sort of detail to it, it would be just a couple of roads going from city to city and that would be it, plus there would be less than a quarter of the cities in the game as there is now because there wouldn't be enough funding or time to do all. Another reason is time, to have done the whole of Europe for release would have meant we wouldn't have seen ETS2 till near enough 2020 if not later than that, not because the developers are "slow" or "lazy" as a lot of you naive kids think, but because back when ETS2 was launched, SCS wasn't even half the size they are now, with less than half the developers, which means it would take double the time it does now to work on areas of the map, plus with technology changing so rapidly, by the time they had go tt it done, it would have to be completely rebuilt to meet modern standards anyway!

So before you start spouting that SCS overprice and should have done this that and the other and all this BS, perhaps put yourself in their shoes for a while and try and make a game yourself at the same level to please the same amount of people as SCS have managed. I can safely put a £1,000,000 bet on that you wouldn't even get anywhere near the same level in the same time frame.

So @DannyUK, as I said before, if you hate the game, hate SCS and want things done differently, why don't you stop complaining, stop playing and create your own Truck Driving Simulator, I would LOVE to see what you can create in 6 months!

Anyway, What I don't get is why people say "oh the DLC is Overpriced"? It seems to be that you guys don't know how much work goes into making a DLC and what a Indie Developer even is!

think for a second, since SCS announced they were working on VLF DLC earlier this year, they've most likely spent truck loads of money on it, from licensing (yes in this modern age if something looks like something in the real world, chances are its licensed which requires a fat sum of money to pay for the license) plus they've had several thousand man hours put into the DLC and the game itself. now, think, say they spent... £1,000,000 in total and they sold the DLC to 150,000 people at the prices you guys expect (either free or close to free, They will lose massive amounts of money on the game and as we have all said before, SCS funds its games off of the profits from the previous title and DLC, so if they make a lose on VLF, chances of more DLC being produced are cut by 80% easily.

Plus think about this, would you rather spend £14 (that's the price it is here on steam in the UK) on a very detailed, pretty much bug free and user friendly DLC that you can simply jump straight into and play off the bat without issue, or pay £5 for a PoS DLC that is full of bugs, looks like the back end of a dog and is practically unplayable? Of course not.

Look at it this way, OMSI 2 has new DLC map packs releasing quite often, yet they use the same textures from the base game or tweaked versions/mod pack textures for their maps where you need to have a dual 1080 setup with 32GB ram installed to run bug and glitch free, yet on average the map packs cost anywhere between £10.99 all the way up to £29.99! and you guys complain that SCS "Overprice"? grow up please.

If SCS charged £30 for VLF which only adds a smallish area of the map to the game with not so much detail, then yeah I would agree that it would be overpriced, but for £14 at the same level of detail as Scandinavia? no way.

Want to see something overprized? Check this out: Train Simulator 2017

The standard edition of the game is 29,99 €, but the downloadable content... Up to 306 add-ons, ranging from 3,99€ to 29,99€. Add all of them and you'll have a complete game for just a little over 4500€...

This is the same. You can buy the game and stick to that, you don't need to buy every single DLC in order to play. Then, there are people like me that enjoyed the game so much, we buy most of the DLC just to support SCS. I've bought lots of paintjobs that never used (and don't intend to).

23 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

Danny, if you hate the game, don't play it, its that simple, no one is forcing you to play, no one is forcing you to buy the DLC, its people like you who don't understand the concept of Indie game Developers that strangle the games industry and put indie developers out of business. The reason SCS never released the whole of Europe and done it the way YOU wanted it to is simple, cost. It would have cost SCS far too much to make the whole of the map and released it all in one go. Also you wouldn't have any sort of detail to it, it would be just a couple of roads going from city to city and that would be it, plus there would be less than a quarter of the cities in the game as there is now because there wouldn't be enough funding or time to do all. Another reason is time, to have done the whole of Europe for release would have meant we wouldn't have seen ETS2 till near enough 2020 if not later than that, not because the developers are "slow" or "lazy" as a lot of you naive kids think, but because back when ETS2 was launched, SCS wasn't even half the size they are now, with less than half the developers, which means it would take double the time it does now to work on areas of the map, plus with technology changing so rapidly, by the time they had go tt it done, it would have to be completely rebuilt to meet modern standards anyway!

So before you start spouting that SCS overprice and should have done this that and the other and all this BS, perhaps put yourself in their shoes for a while and try and make a game yourself at the same level to please the same amount of people as SCS have managed. I can safely put a £1,000,000 bet on that you wouldn't even get anywhere near the same level in the same time frame.

So @DannyUK, as I said before, if you hate the game, hate SCS and want things done differently, why don't you stop complaining, stop playing and create your own Truck Driving Simulator, I would LOVE to see what you can create in 6 months!

Anyway, What I don't get is why people say "oh the DLC is Overpriced"? It seems to be that you guys don't know how much work goes into making a DLC and what a Indie Developer even is!

think for a second, since SCS announced they were working on VLF DLC earlier this year, they've most likely spent truck loads of money on it, from licensing (yes in this modern age if something looks like something in the real world, chances are its licensed which requires a fat sum of money to pay for the license) plus they've had several thousand man hours put into the DLC and the game itself. now, think, say they spent... £1,000,000 in total and they sold the DLC to 150,000 people at the prices you guys expect (either free or close to free, They will lose massive amounts of money on the game and as we have all said before, SCS funds its games off of the profits from the previous title and DLC, so if they make a lose on VLF, chances of more DLC being produced are cut by 80% easily.

Plus think about this, would you rather spend £14 (that's the price it is here on steam in the UK) on a very detailed, pretty much bug free and user friendly DLC that you can simply jump straight into and play off the bat without issue, or pay £5 for a PoS DLC that is full of bugs, looks like the back end of a dog and is practically unplayable? Of course not.

Look at it this way, OMSI 2 has new DLC map packs releasing quite often, yet they use the same textures from the base game or tweaked versions/mod pack textures for their maps where you need to have a dual 1080 setup with 32GB ram installed to run bug and glitch free, yet on average the map packs cost anywhere between £10.99 all the way up to £29.99! and you guys complain that SCS "Overprice"? grow up please.

If SCS charged £30 for VLF which only adds a smallish area of the map to the game with not so much detail, then yeah I would agree that it would be overpriced, but for £14 at the same level of detail as Scandinavia? no way.

Have you finished your rant now? If not please continue. I like the game which is why I buy it but doesn't mean to say it can't get any better or someone else do a better job at it. As for you wanting me to try and make the game, I have never said anywhere that I can so I don't know where you get that from but there will be others that can. On your money issue, there is many platforms to raise funds these days and many developers have done this. I hear what you say but that is your opinion which your entitled to which I don't have to share that view I hope you understand.

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

Have you finished your rant now? If not please continue. I like the game which is why I buy it but doesn't mean to say it can't get any better or someone else do a better job at it. As for you wanting me to try and make the game, I have never said anywhere that I can so I don't know where you get that from but there will be others that can. On your money issue, there is many platforms to raise funds these days and many developers have done this. I hear what you say but that is your opinion which your entitled to which I don't have to share that view I hope you understand.

Im not ranting, im pointing out to you just how wrong, naïve and cynical you are about how SCS operates. not ranting at all buddy, get your facts in order please. You yourself contradicted yourself here by saying in one sentence that if someone did things differently, you would "happily Ditch the game because the take too long", yet now youre saying "oh I like the game", get your story straight for once please. Sure, anything can be done better by anyone, hell, people can probably do what you do 1000x better than you ever could, that doesn't make it a fact to base a cynical opinion off of.

Also, if you had bothered to read what I had wrote, I did not infer that you said anything about making a game, I )AS IN PERSONALLY) put it towards you because you were/are slating SCS for "taking too long" so I was challenging you to make the exact same game as them with all the financial, legal and team issues that they have dealt with before you start slating the devs, that's all. (Although I would absolutely wet myself laughing if you made a game, just saying). The important thing to think about is this, Simulator games are a dying breed, partially driving simulators like ETS2, ATS, OMSI, FERNBUS and such. People expect too much from indie developers (Indie meaning a small team, with a small amount of funding trying to create a game, in-case you were unaware, So the market numbers are statistically much much lower than FPS, Open World and Creation games.

Also, if youd bothered to read up on funding, its got extremely complicated in the last year or so, it used to be that you could get funding through operations like steam EA/Greenlight or Crowd funding, but now, if you have more than certain requirements, youre not entitled to funding or as much funding as before, PLUS SCS didn't have the opportunity because when ETS2 released, it was on THEIR own private webpage, it was only in late 2013/2014 did the game get greenlit for steam So back in the start, their player base wasn't even a quarter of what it is now because no one knew about the game, hence why they didn't have much of a map to start with.

}Another point is this, would you have rather waited till this year or late for ETS2 to have released with *a larger map* or have had the game from the start and watch it evolve and support the game? At least when you look at ETS2 and ATS you can see that the money you spend on DLCs is literally at work as the game evolves and gets bigger, instead of games like GTA or CoD that don't really change during their lifespan, CoD in particular is a good example of money grabbing Developers because the Graphics engine hasn't really changed since the early 2000s, yet poor suckers still buy their games that are branded as *completely brand new" when a lot of us know its not true, the gameplay mechanics might be different and so is the story, but the basics have never changed since CoD 3!

Also, people who complain that SCS "Overprice" their DLCs, think about this, Train Sim costs around £30 to buy on steam, each DLC which may only contain either a train or a map and scenarios or a mix of the two, they cost anywhere from £5 all the way up to £40-50 EACH and there are hundreds of DLCs for the game, roughly adding up it would cost you near enough £4000 to have the entire game from base through all the DLCs for the game, yet for ETS2, the MAX at this time that you can spend is about £130 (give or take) a massive difference in price, yet in ETS2, you get so much more to do than in Train Sim. PLUS, compare the prices of DLCs on Steam, to the costs on Consoles and theres a huge difference again.

Also, SCS, unlike 99% of Developers, put a lot of the money made from the game and the DLCs BACK into the game itself to improve whats there, if no one buys the DLCs, the game basically dies completely. Also, as Steam have held their hands up to, rheir pricing is totally dependant upon the exchange rates for each country, so something that costs £14 here in the UK may go up by £4 in say Germany because of the exchange rates, its not SCSs fault, its just down to the marketing etc, that's why everyone has such different prices. if you do the conversions to native currency.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forraz locked this topic

Archived