What is your favorite transmission in ATS?

What is your favorite transmission?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite transmission?

• Eaton Fuller 10 Speed
    • Eaton Fuller 13 Speed
    • Eaton Fuller 18 Speed
    • Allison 6 Speed

Interesting results so far. I was expecting the 13 speed to get a lot more votes.

From what I have gathered from various sources, IRL the 13 speed is considered to be the "sweet spot" for the avarage OTR truck and I was more or less expecting this would be reflected in the transmission choice of the avarage ATS player.

I use 6, its easier in manual because as @MashedPotato8r said, I dont want to mash the gear stick 10 times to get up to a decent gear. Plus I love the sound of the engine when its on a high gear, BRRRR shhhhh BRRRRRR shhhhhh BRRR, rather than brr h brr h brr h brr, yawn

"A river starts out as a puddle, wanting to grow to something much bigger. As it grows, it begins to flow, making its presence known. After persistence, the river carves its path through the rock towards the sea. You are that river, start moving!

z_siteimages%5Cimg_2074_1395921187_826_2

4601768346.png

Something I've noticed is that with the Allison 4500 6 speed automatic, is that you get good acceleration from a stop, but not that great pulling power, and it takes longer to stop than a tranny with the retarder.  Oddly, it gets better fuel mileage than the Eaton Fuller 18 speed, even though the 18 speed has better hill climbing (with a powerful enough engine) and you stop faster with a retarder.

signature.png

At work, the trucks we have (city street department), they all have the Allison 3500 and 4500 automatics.  Older ones are 5 speed, and 6 speed only if you press the mode button, and newest are full 6 speed auto.  We have Business Class M Freightliners for crew trucks and 5 yard dump trucks.  For our 10-14 yard trucks, we have Macks.

signature.png

I find the 13 speed to be my favorite. I have recently acquired a Logitech G29 and I first started using it with the E-F 13spd. I've also used the 18spd but I don't find it necessary to press the splitter button a million times in low range. That's just my opinion of course. After using the H-Shifter and clutch, I just can't go back to sequential! :D

Archived