Game Economy (ETS2/ATS)

Jeroen

• Business Analyst

Let's talk about the game economies of ETS2/ATS.

What do you think of the current game economies (e.g., the amount of money you earn from completing tasks, the height of penalties, banking system, etc.)? Do you feel they are scaled well? Do you use, or have you ever used, an economy mod? What, if anything, would you change to enhance your experience?

• Thanks 2

First of all, thank you for reaching us through the forum with a different subject.
I can only use it in single player. However, I do not prefer to use this mode because it is more fun to play on a multiplayer server. 
If there was a rank system with a system change in the game or a level-rank ranking according to the deliveries made, I would give a chance to use this mode more effectively.

3RapOpo.png  

I've save-edited my money and save-edited most of my trucks. Money isn't something I use often, and therefore, it bears little significance to me.

It is, however, a key aspect for those who play very realistically. From previous mentions of the subject, I know they wish for servers where the economy is global, and fines, etc., are forced on. A system like this would be beneficial for those who play the game for that experience but may have negative repercussions on those who only play to drive up and down one road (aka a rather large percentage of the player base). Therefore, an economy change would have to either strike a balance or be server specific. 

Say, there's one server that has a certain array of trucks that you can drive. You can only modify them with items that belong to that specific truck. Your profile economy is overwritten by a server economy; everybody earns the same for jobs, and everybody will be fined for speeding, etc. Perhaps you can even level up your truck by delivering more jobs, allowing you to get a better model or unlocking superior trucks. There'd be a starting amount that everyone is given to get them started, and then it's up to each player to work their way up the ladder.

Additionally, if people can only drive sensibly modified trucks, it'd put an end to some of the horrific save edits floating around.   

Combine a New Economy System with a "Supply Request" by Citys. The Mechanics, to realize such Back Ground Economy Simulation, are already there ( Actual WOT X-Mas Event as Example)! If Players are Busy to keep the Citys Alive, then they are maybe not focussed on only one Spot of the Map.

Also a Progressive Profile on TruckersMP, which can not be Edited by the Player, would make it more challenging!

Do this on a seperate Server and you have happy Sim Player. 

• Like 1

Tired of being Banned and Insulted for Reckless Driving/Overtaking?! Join the "6x4-300" Horsepower Gang! Experience Real Truck Driving and Chilled Acceleration!

@Jeronimο

I regard the "vanilla" economy of the simulator not much of a challenge.

Mainly because the job incomes are high, bank loan interests and the salary of employed drivers are low.

Once one owns a first truck, the challenge shifts from financial to geolocational, e.g. buy and/ or expand garages.

As a consequence, I've lowered the income factor in my profile. This delays the initial phase of owning a first own truck.

Trucks maintenance and fines are also no big deal, especially not if the money amount can be adjusted to astronomical high numbers in the profile.

I advocate in that matter none-tweakable user profiles, so experience, levels, money and achievements have to be earned through progress.

• Upvote 2

While I find the economy for the company, jobs and salaries fairly realistic, I don't find the economy for YOU the main employee very realistic. Here is why...

In the real world, drivers (even company owners) don't always use the company money to pay for their mistakes/damages, truck decorations/customisations, fines. And company owners have their own salary (they don't have the whole company budget as personal money.

That's why I would have 2 budgets: one for the company and one for you the main employee. Your budget (the main employee budget) would only be credited by its salary (maybe 1-2% of the company budget?!). And depending on the expense, it would be deducted from the company budget or from your personal budget. Here are some examples:

• Deducted from the company budget:
    • Employees salaries (including yours)
    • Employees fines/truck damages (excluding yours)
    • Tolls, Ferry/Train tickets
    • Petrol/gas purchase
    • Trucks/trailers purchase
    • Trucks/trailers natural wear/damages repair/renovation (basically maintenance)
    • Trucks/trailers structural upgrades: engine, gearbox, chassis, basic paint jobs
    • Garage purchase/upgrade

• Deducted from your personal budget:
    • Any fine due to bad driving
    • Any damage repair due to bad driving
    • Any unnecessary truck/trailer customisations: fancy paint jobs, fancy exhaust, additional/upgraded lights, upgraded alloys, aesthetic parts, interior upgrades, etc...

Finally in order to force people to drive correctly on TMP, I would MASSIVELY increase the fines and damage repair. That way people will have to be careful to not end up with 0 budget to pay for fines/upgrades.

• Upvote 2

• Business Analyst
On 12/30/2023 at 1:19 PM, Bеаn said:

I know they wish for servers where the economy is global, and fines, etc., are forced on. A system like this would be beneficial for those who play the game for that experience but may have negative repercussions on those who only play to drive up and down one road (aka a rather large percentage of the player base). Therefore, an economy change would have to either strike a balance or be server specific. 

On 1/1/2024 at 2:08 PM, blabberbeak said:

I regard the "vanilla" economy of the simulator not much of a challenge.

Mainly because the job incomes are high, bank loan interests and the salary of employed drivers are low.

Trucks maintenance and fines are also no big deal, especially not if the money amount can be adjusted to astronomical high numbers in the profile.

I advocate in that matter none-tweakable user profiles, so experience, levels, money and achievements have to be earned through progress.

On 1/3/2024 at 12:17 PM, Foobrother said:

While I find the economy for the company, jobs and salaries fairly realistic, I don't find the economy for YOU the main employee very realistic. Here is why...

In the real world, drivers (even company owners) don't always use the company money to pay for their mistakes/damages, truck decorations/customisations, fines. And company owners have their own salary (they don't have the whole company budget as personal money.

That's why I would have 2 budgets: one for the company and one for you the main employee. Your budget (the main employee budget) would only be credited by its salary (maybe 1-2% of the company budget?!). And depending on the expense, it would be deducted from the company budget or from your personal budget. 

Finally in order to force people to drive correctly on TMP, I would MASSIVELY increase the fines and damage repair. That way people will have to be careful to not end up with 0 budget to pay for fines/upgrades.

A little disclaimer before I go further: we, TMP, are not working on this, so please do not get your hopes up; I'm just trying to discuss this within the community and do this on a personal note. 

I agree that the default game economy, as well as the in-game progression system, is quite lackluster does not really satisfy MMO players (in my opinion). TruckersMP has allowed players from all over the world to connect and play together, e.g. in VTCs. Though, users still play in the game's economy on a personal level only, and most if not all content is essentially limited to just driving about. Over the years, some great third parties have been developed by the community: TrucksBookVTC.World, VTC Analytics, Trucky, to name a few; some VTCs have also built their own trackers, networks, and dashboards that serve a similar purpose. But it's all segregated, running on their own servers, and most do not actually simulate an online economy but rather simply track job details within said VTC or (sub-)community. Do any of you have experience with those or similar third parties, and if so, what is your opinion on what they added to your gameplay experience?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I think it would be great if we could bring things to life on the online servers. Like, fully simulated career and economy systems with realistic prices, fees, and fines, to induce the roleplaying potential within the community and bring things to life. Where indeed, you have your own personal budget, but you can also invest and build your own VTC and members contribute to the VTC's progression and financials - and compete against other VTCs. By leveling up your server profile, you'd unlock new types of jobs and higher rewards, and so on. There's a lot of details that would have to be balanced and playtested, but you get the overall idea. If there would be an accident between players, it would be cool if they could resolve it on their own or via an 'insurance agency', which would more or less transfer currency from one player to the other for the damages; rather than that it would immediately result in disciplinary action like kicks or bans from the game. Players that would not engage in genuine RP could be removed or blocked from the server, though, similar to how NoPixel manages their VIP server through so-called RP rules. It gives players something to do, provides a sense of progression (which in my opinion is an essential element of any MMO that takes itself serious), and provides the gameplay experience that (in my opinion) SCS has lacked to bring to the table.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Jeroen said:

Do any of you have experience with those or similar third parties, and if so, what is your opinion on what they added to your gameplay experience?

I've used all but one of the third parties mentioned. TrucksBook doesn't really add anything to the game experience - aside from real/race jobs. There isn't really a useable economy built within it. I've only briefly used VTC.World so can't really comment there. Trucky is fantastic if you're looking for all-in-one solution. When I was religiously logging jobs, Trucky was a very helpful tool & made numerous qol (quality of life) improvements to my experience. Namely, the fact that any damage, fuel charges and fines were reflected in the profit for a job. Because such things were reflected in how much I could make, I'd always try to ensure that I was driving as well as I could to make the most money. 

23 hours ago, Jeroen said:

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I think it would be great if we could bring things to life on the online servers. Like, fully simulated career and economy systems with realistic prices, fees, and fines, to induce the roleplaying potential within the community and bring things to life. Where indeed, you have your own personal budget, but you can also invest and build your own VTC and members contribute to the VTC's progression and financials - and compete against other VTCs. By leveling up your server profile, you'd unlock new types of jobs and higher rewards, and so on. There's a lot of details that would have to be balanced and playtested, but you get the overall idea. If there would be an accident between players, it would be cool if they could resolve it on their own or via an 'insurance agency', which would more or less transfer currency from one player to the other for the damages; rather than that it would immediately result in disciplinary action like kicks or bans from the game. Players that would not engage in genuine RP could be removed or blocked from the server, though, similar to how NoPixel manages their VIP server through so-called RP rules. It gives players something to do, provides a sense of progression (which in my opinion is an essential element of any MMO that takes itself serious), and provides the gameplay experience that (in my opinion) SCS has lacked to bring to the table.

This is exactly what the hardcore simulation fans are looking for, in my experience. Games like Alaskan Road Truckers do quite a good job of adding realism, in my opinion. However, the chances of such a thing coming to life here are slim. Recently, things have diverted away from "Simulation," and more towards how we can keep players – at least, that's how it seems from my point of view. If this, or some iteration of this, were to come to life, I feel it may restore some faith & allow those seeking a true simulation experience a way to do so in a troll-free environment.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 1:18 PM, Jeroen said:

A little disclaimer before I go further: we, TMP, are not working on this, so please do not get your hopes up; I'm just trying to discuss this within the community and do this on a personal note. 

I agree that the default game economy, as well as the in-game progression system, is quite lackluster does not really satisfy MMO players (in my opinion). TruckersMP has allowed players from all over the world to connect and play together, e.g. in VTCs. Though, users still play in the game's economy on a personal level only, and most if not all content is essentially limited to just driving about. Over the years, some great third parties have been developed by the community: TrucksBookVTC.World, VTC Analytics, Trucky, to name a few; some VTCs have also built their own trackers, networks, and dashboards that serve a similar purpose. But it's all segregated, running on their own servers, and most do not actually simulate an online economy but rather simply track job details within said VTC or (sub-)community. Do any of you have experience with those or similar third parties, and if so, what is your opinion on what they added to your gameplay experience?

I'm sure it has been discussed/proposed in the past, but yes indeed, having more statistics/tracking and linking them to TMP for career/ranking progression wouldn't be just a fancy feature, but also a very good way to naturally push people towards a more responsible/realistic attitude on the road with people driving a bit everywhere etc...

As soon as you collect driving stats you can imagine various rankings and awards depending on the type of achievements.

i.e.:

• Most distance driven in each countries per month/year/forever
  • Most distinct cities visited during jobs per month/year/forever
  • Longest average job per month/year/forever
  • The least fines per km, per month/year/forever
  • The least damage generated per km, per month/year/forever
  • The least collisions per km, per month/year/forever
  • The least offenses per km, per month/year/forever
  • Most cargo weight avg per month/year/forever
  • etc...

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:21 PM, Jeroen said:

Let's talk about the game economies of ETS2/ATS.

What do you think of the current game economies (e.g., the amount of money you earn from completing tasks, the height of penalties, banking system, etc.)? Do you feel they are scaled well? Do you use, or have you ever used, an economy mod? What, if anything, would you change to enhance your experience?

Personally, I have modded my money and EXP in single player and used that profile on TMP. However, I would end up finding out that what is the point of even playing the game if you have EVERYTHING at the tip of your fingers and you are just driving around for "the fun of it. Yes, it is fun to drive around but it is better to drive around and actually be earning something rather than having a few measly thousand dollars drop in your account of 100+ Million. The way it is currently set up I find it perfect and I will tell you why.

1. Starting from scratch acting as if this is the real world, you won't have enough money to buy a truck and you have no experience so you do some quick jobs and earn your first paycheck which is going to be small but it is getting you started, then you work and work and eventually you have your first truck, not a good one but enough to bring up your pay per KM/MI, and then as you keep doing loads you earn more and level up and you can select your "Hazmat Endorsements" which will bring up your pay.

2. Penalties are in my opinion perfect (I have mine turned off, as many people do) because the income you make is higher than you would receive IRL, so the fines are perfectly priced, I also say that because in the Commercial industry you are held to a higher standard which comes with higher fines. 

3. Banking system is perfect in my eyes, as you level up the banks trust you more and end up lending you more, on top of that you are paying back that loan whether you have the money or not. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
I use the economy mode because it is sometimes impossible to deliver my cargo undamaged on the way to calais duiaburg :))

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

On 1/5/2024 at 2:18 PM, Jeroen said:

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I think it would be great if we could bring things to life on the online servers. Like, fully simulated career and economy systems with realistic prices, fees, and fines, to induce the roleplaying potential within the community and bring things to life. Where indeed, you have your own personal budget, but you can also invest and build your own VTC and members contribute to the VTC's progression and financials - and compete against other VTCs. By leveling up your server profile, you'd unlock new types of jobs and higher rewards, and so on. There's a lot of details that would have to be balanced and playtested, but you get the overall idea. If there would be an accident between players, it would be cool if they could resolve it on their own or via an 'insurance agency', which would more or less transfer currency from one player to the other for the damages; rather than that it would immediately result in disciplinary action like kicks or bans from the game.

I wish TruckersMP would find a way to implement such an RP server.

The idea of an insurance company to provide financial compensation for damages caused by another party is certainly interesting.

But it bears the question how to determine who is at fault or to which amount the affected parties carry responsibility for an accident. In RL, it can take several years to answer such questions. I'd like to refrain from suggesting that the damage will only be settled after a game moderator has layed down the law, as it could lead to corruption within the TruckersMP team and undue enrichment by insurance fraud.

Disciplinary actions should not be excluded per se or replaced by an insurance system. In RL, it is often the case that a perpetrator will be fined or punished by police according to the law, and independent of the following insurance stuff.

Just thinking aloud.

• Upvote 1
  • True Story 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:33 PM, blabberbeak said:

I wish TruckersMP would find a way to implement such an RP server.

The idea of an insurance company to provide financial compensation for damages caused by another party is certainly interesting.

But it bears the question how to determine who is at fault or to which amount the affected parties carry responsibility for an accident. In RL, it can take several years to answer such questions. I'd like to refrain from suggesting that the damage will only be settled after a game moderator has layed down the law, as it could lead to corruption within the TruckersMP team and undue enrichment by insurance fraud.

Disciplinary actions should not be excluded per se or replaced by an insurance system. In RL, it is often the case that a perpetrator will be fined or punished by police according to the law, and independent of the following insurance stuff.

Just thinking aloud.

i would be interested on how it works actually, and who would decide on who will pay the other player for his/her damage based on which one was fault? will the player himself calculate the damage vs % ? so for example does damage of 50% trailer damage, then he will calculate 50%  x amount money (what is the amount) = the requested amount fair ? and who can check it ?  

9 hours ago, [S.PLH]Warrior said:

i would be interested on how it works actually, and who would decide on who will pay the other player for his/her damage based on which one was fault? will the player himself calculate the damage vs % ? so for example does damage of 50% trailer damage, then he will calculate 50%  x amount money (what is the amount) = the requested amount fair ? and who can check it ?  

The calculation of the compensation for caused damages must be executed by an independent surveyor to avoid the risk of fraud.

If the victim would be allowed to calculate it himself, he might tend to exaggerate the repair costs and get a financial advantage.

THe same is true if the counter party would calculate the damages of the victim's vehicle, which likely would be too less.

The surveyor inspects the vehicle and determines the repair costs (brand depending).

These costs will be compared against the average value market of the undamaged vehicle of the same type and configuration.

If the repair costs exceed a certain percentage of the vehicle's market value, it will be declared as an economical total loss. The victim will be paid only the remaining value of the vehicle (not the average market value).

If the repair costs don't lead to a economical total loss, the vehicle can be repaired at a workshop of choice or authorized repair shop (depending on the victim's insurance contract). The costs will be paid by the other party's insurance (given that he is insured and the insurance covers the case).

Phew!

Now, how could this be applied to Euro Truck Simulator 2 respectively American Truck Simulator?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wish you earned a little bit more money and stuff for the fuel and should have to wait just a little bit longer depending on however much fuel or stuff that you need, You should also have to pay for the parking in some places because in hotels, you can park up and then having to go and pay or you get fined a more than paying for a parking ticket. 

^^ That is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Moderation Manager

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 

We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kindest regards,
Stay safe!
_sneaht_0810 | TruckersMP Community Moderation Manager