Proposed traffic lights for Calais service station

Suggestion Name: Improve current traffic light phase

Suggestion Description: Custom traffic lights that may help truckers entering and exiting the Calais service station more safely

Any example images: No images, but I have uploaded the video to show the current Calais in TruckersMP and how it looks with my custom traffic lights

Why should it be added?: At the moment, Calais has traffic lights at the intersection but no traffic light for the service station, make it challenging for many players to enter or exit the station

I have read the blog post titled "Project Update: Back to Basics" by our Project Manager, Jeronimo. He mentioned that "we had implemented map changes to improve traffic flow, but users were never asked for input, and after the fact signals reached me of players indicating that their 'fun factor' had been taken away and that we had made things more 'boring'. Through the survey, we learned that 65% of the respondents preferred driving in highly populated areas, and that 81% did not mind traffic jams. In fact, many pointed out that dense traffic (or, as others coined it, 'chaos') is what makes our multiplayer environment so enjoyable for them. One of the key reasons players mention why they play on our servers is because they like the interaction with other users, and that highly populated areas make it challenging and interactive. This thus raised the question whether traffic flow improvements is something we should have strived for; efficiency at the cost of fun!?"

My idea aims to resolve a specific issue where some players will report "blocking" when someone exits the service station and gets stuck at the intersection due to a red traffic light. Based on my specialized knowledge in traffic light signal timing and phase planning, I believe that my custom traffic light design can improve traffic flow without sacrificing the fun factor. I have consulted with players on the TruckersMP Discord channel, and some players expressed concern about whether my custom traffic light design would still keep Calais highly populated. In my design, the red light lasts up to 54 seconds (currently it is 23 seconds), which will line up more players in Calais and create enjoyable "traffic jams".

For TruckersMP, I believe with this traffic lights can help enhance the gameplay experience for all truckers by designing a traffic lights phase that balances efficiency and fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hey !

the idea is good but unfortunately like a lot of signage, a lot of players will ignore it and super fast out of the garage 😐

• True Story 2

1797472539_TMP.webp.542b008508f3e29324b9b29eabffd2f6.webp.30dac118f31a8f248f33bc747a0d48d2.webp

36 minutes ago, Juliia said:

Hey !

the idea is good but unfortunately like a lot of signage, a lot of players will ignore it and super fast out of the garage 😐

Too be honest, that's what game moderators are for,

to punish rule breakers. But I'm still torn if this possible solution would fix anything.

In my opinion Calais needs a remake just like Duisburg did.

Have a nice day!

Can be a good but players never want to learn how to enter and exit from service or company.

Most players don't have any idea how enter and exit from service or company right lane and learn to one by one leaving there is no need to traffic light or any sign but mostly players age's under 15 you can't expect anything from that age groups.

1 hour ago, Zysto said:

Too be honest, that's what game moderators are for,

to punish rule breakers. But I'm still torn if this possible solution would fix anything.

In my opinion Calais needs a remake just like Duisburg did.

They cannot be there all the time and everywhere at the same time. On the other hand the remake of Calais would be a very very good idea !

1797472539_TMP.webp.542b008508f3e29324b9b29eabffd2f6.webp.30dac118f31a8f248f33bc747a0d48d2.webp

Hello. I think that this will increase the traffic in that area, causing Calais to be congested.

Also, if players leaving service does not follow the traffic light, it will be worse as more accidents will be caused.

Another issue, when the light turns green for the service area, many people inside the service will try to exit at the same time. This will cause no collision zone accidents or bugs and will be congested more and more.

It is a nice idea, however it would have many negative impacts. These are just some of the cons I’ve thought of.

I’m pretty sure that if players would yield each other to exit the service and wait patiently, it’ll be much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The cycle length of this proposed signal timing is 83 seconds, taking into consideration that the truck headway is about 5 seconds. The green time for minor roads is 30 seconds, while the major green time is 45 seconds. The signal at the service station is half cycle, which means it is 41.5 seconds to accommodate the 83 seconds cycle length. The critical movement volume is 240 vehicles per hour, which means that in 15 minutes, there will be 60 vehicles passing through. I estimate that at least 5 truckers can pass through the intersection with 30 seconds of green light. This proposed signal timing can reduce congestion and keep the intersection in under-saturated conditions. I hope you will love this signal timing proposal.

The area needs an update. A light will only make it worse since those leaving the shop will have NCZ active until they are clear of other players. Plus, it makes zero sense to put a light where about 3 trucks will be waiting on each side. The line already extends to the highway exit ramp (right) and from both roads (left).

image.png

I'm sorry, but i don't want the city to be this

image.png

On 4/12/2023 at 11:58 PM, 'Matheja said:

In order to do this, the traffic lights need to be very well synchronized so that there is no congestion, but I am sure that the players will not comply with this light, it will be a waste of effort.

The proposed traffic lights are synchronized via the semaphore profile, with a cycle length of 83 seconds and a leading 12 seconds green light for the station. I think the players will comply with this light because some players have already complied with the existing light.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:59 PM, Kaan . said:

Hello. I think that this will increase the traffic in that area, causing Calais to be congested.

Also, if players leaving service does not follow the traffic light, it will be worse as more accidents will be caused.

Another issue, when the light turns green for the service area, many people inside the service will try to exit at the same time. This will cause no collision zone accidents or bugs and will be congested more and more.

It is a nice idea, however it would have many negative impacts. These are just some of the cons I’ve thought of.

I’m pretty sure that if players would yield each other to exit the service and wait patiently, it’ll be much better.

Hello Kaan. The traffic light for the major junction will stay green, so the players will have a chance to keep their distance and create a gap after exiting the station.

2 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

The area needs an update. A light will only make it worse since those leaving the shop will have NCZ active until they are clear of other players. Plus, it makes zero sense to put a light where about 3 trucks will be waiting on each side. The line already extends to the highway exit ramp (right) and from both roads (left).

image.png

I'm sorry, but i don't want the city to be this

image.png

I believe that congestion will reduce with this signal timing because the current traffic light in TruckersMP is using the default green time (15 seconds). Increasing the green time to 45 seconds for the major junction will reduce congestion. With a leading signal for the station, it can avoid conflict points from each side. If there is a traffic light at the station, I believe many players will form a queue and move smoothly one by one.

As my reply to Kaan, the NCZ issue can be resolved with a leading green time and by keeping distance from each other.

In the second image you uploaded, I think we should investigate whether the issue is caused by too much traffic flow or if there is an accident ahead that caused some players blocked the road. If the flow rate is too high, configuring the traffic light to provide a longer red time from upstream is one method to manage the flow rate. I hope the TruckersMP team may use Smart Signs for this motorway in the future.

• Player948792551 changed the title to Proposed traffic lights for Calais service station

Not sure if semaphore lights would help, especially when traffic is congested. 

Another solution would be to add lane delimiters in front of the service station. Also mandatory turn right when exit the service station. In addition, the intersection could have an autokick area with a countdown of around 15 seconds (at least when traffic is high), something like the autokick for lights.  

{   c0de   }

1531540532_role_5Patron(4).png.063edcf85 

status.png

20 hours ago, Player948792551 said:

I believe that congestion will reduce with this signal timing because the current traffic light in TruckersMP is using the default green time (15 seconds). Increasing the green time to 45 seconds for the major junction will reduce congestion. With a leading signal for the station, it can avoid conflict points from each side. If there is a traffic light at the station, I believe many players will form a queue and move smoothly one by one.

As my reply to Kaan, the NCZ issue can be resolved with a leading green time and by keeping distance from each other.

In the second image you uploaded, I think we should investigate whether the issue is caused by too much traffic flow or if there is an accident ahead that caused some players blocked the road. If the flow rate is too high, configuring the traffic light to provide a longer red time from upstream is one method to manage the flow rate. I hope the TruckersMP team may use Smart Signs for this motorway in the future.

You can put multiple quotes in your reply. Saves you time or you can ping their name to notify them when you posted. Want to see the light in action? Go to the highway light leaving the city. Most behave, but you still have the handful that will just run it.