Duisburg to Calais do's and don'ts

BanneD_

Hi,

I've been playing on the multiplayer for quite a while now and i've driven from Duisburg to Calais and backwards way too many times to consider myself an expert to decision making on this route. So i'd like to share my thoughts on this. Let's begin:

• Check the map every 5-10 seconds. It provides valuable information about crashes ahead of you and people who want to overtake you ( assuming they are coming fast )
  • If there is someone behind you, always check your left mirror. He might be faster than you, and an overtake is likely to happen.
  • Someone tries to overtake you? Then go as much right as possible, slow down a bit. (10 km/h slower than you were going). This way he'll overtake faster, he won't block you when he enters your lane again (assuming he's not willing to harm you) and accidents are less likely to happen.
  • Someone overtakes and is heading towards you? Then go as much right as possible and slow down a bit. If you do nothing at a situation like this, you deserve to crash. Bad decisions are likely to happen and if you don't act, you are to blame as much as the overtaker.
  • If a car overtakes you, go full right and slow down. Actually whenever you see cars from any side just go full right and slow down especially on turns. Cars are unstable, don't trust them, even when the driver is not willing to hurt you. 
  • Before you overtake someone, CHECK the map for incoming trucks. 
  • Before you overtake someone, CHECK your left mirror. There might be someone else who overtakes aswell and you'll end up blocking him or crashing on him.
  • When you're head to head to an overtake, and there is a truck coming towards you, go all in and do it. Braking at this point is not an option and you're likely to cause more crashes by braking. 
  • When you're head to head to an overtake and there is a truck coming towards you don't go left for any reason at all. It's up to the other drivers to give you space and make it through. If they don't, to my point of view the crash wouldn't be entirely your fault.
  • Your overtake should be done in 10 seconds. This means that from the moment you'll be on the other lane you have 10 seconds to make it to your lane again. If you can't do it, then it means that you shouldn't overtake (So these rules mostly apply to trucks with no trailers or really fast trucks like Scania R730).
  • After you overtake someone, make sure there is enough space to merge so you won't block him.
  • If you overtake many trucks at once be carefull. Locate a safe spot (a large enough space between two trucks) for fast merging. This applies to a 3-truck overtake meaning you pass 1 or 2 of them and merge to the space between the 1st or 2nd and the 2nd or 3rd  truck. If you can't find a spot then you shouldn't go for the overtake. For every 3 trucks you overtake, locate a safe spot and always pay attention to the map. As long as you see incoming trucks, merge to your safe spot. If there is no spot to merge on the overtake, pray that the other trucks will provide space for you (Usually they don't).
  • Don't block for any reason an overtake (Not even in heavy traffic). There are admins to take care of these matters and a report system.
  • Don't overtake in heavy traffic. You're likely to cause even more traffic.
  • Don't complain about heavy traffic. Duisburg to Calais is a well-known heavy traffic route. 
  • If you can't drive safely in fast speeds then don't!!! Duisburg-Calais is a route that you can drive up to 130 km/h and be safe (as long as your braking intensity is full)

I apply these things for a while now and ever since i deliver my cargos with 0-10% damage. Always remember your safe space is full right on the street. Duisburg-Calais is a death trap but as long as you follow these things you'll be much safer.

Happy trucking all!

30 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

Nice guide however I have a point to make :)

First of all, DO NOT overtake at all, except when someone is driving a lot slower than the max speed, and then I recommend against it. Have patience.
If you overtake someone who is driving 80km/h, and someone comes on the other lane with 156km/h, you will not see that person on the radar. Till you are next to the truck and not able to go right. Hence my 2nd point:

Second, if you overtake and someone is coming towards you and you won't make it. If you have the space, go left into the side of the road and even crash against a object if you have to, you are overtaking. You are responsible for the crash. And if you crash into a other truck, you might get banned.
This way you might be able to prevent damage to the other and evade being banned.
(Done that, I chosen a nice light pole to crash into, prevented damage to others).

1 hour ago, Dubbeledraaideur [NL] said:

Nice guide however I have a point to make :)

First of all, DO NOT overtake at all, except when someone is driving a lot slower than the max speed, and then I recommend against it. Have patience.
If you overtake someone who is driving 80km/h, and someone comes on the other lane with 156km/h, you will not see that person on the radar. Till you are next to the truck and not able to go right. Hence my 2nd point:

Second, if you overtake and someone is coming towards you and you won't make it. If you have the space, go left into the side of the road and even crash against a object if you have to, you are overtaking. You are responsible for the crash. And if you crash into a other truck, you might get banned.
This way you might be able to prevent damage to the other and evade being banned.
(Done that, I chosen a nice light pole to crash into, prevented damage to others).

Well as it matters to the second the left side is really unstable (cliffs that might throw you into the air or putting you back to the road )and going there doesn't guarantee that you won't damage the other trucks. Plus the incoming trucks will also choose to go left (right to their point of view)  to avoid the overtaker so that's why i'm saying not to choose left. If you're head to head to an overtake your best chance is if they give you space

Too many things about the overtakings, you seem to be forgetting one of TruckersMP rules:

Inappropriate Overtaking
Overtaking in an area of extremely low FPS, in areas with large amounts of traffic such as in Europoort, overtaking resulting in an accident or anything similar. This also includes overtaking on any 1 lane in each direction road where there is excessive traffic.

When there's a lot of traffic on the C-D road, overtaking is strictly forbidden.

The things I liked from your post:

2 hours ago, BanneD_ said:

There are admins to take care of these matters and a report system.

Don't complain about heavy traffic. Duisburg to Calais is a well-known heavy traffic route. 

So no, I wouldn't be slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer to overtake my truck. I would never be the one to blame if some braindead decides to overtake on the grass and rams my truck sideways from the right. Of course, I would never overtake on that road. And yes, I'm using would, because the safest way to not get damage on that road is to avoid it, which is what I do. When I did use that road in the past, I'd drive normally and if someone damaged my truck, trailer or both, I'd simply use my recording software and reporting skills to get them banned.

People who go there like:

3 hours ago, BanneD_ said:

from Duisburg to Calais and backwards way too many times

Are the ones making that road to be so dangerous, specially those who think that overtaking is OK no matter the amount of traffic.

38 minutes ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Too many things about the overtakings, you seem to be forgetting one of TruckersMP rules:

Inappropriate Overtaking
Overtaking in an area of extremely low FPS, in areas with large amounts of traffic such as in Europoort, overtaking resulting in an accident or anything similar. This also includes overtaking on any 1 lane in each direction road where there is excessive traffic.

When there's a lot of traffic on the C-D road, overtaking is strictly forbidden.

The things I liked from your post:

So no, I wouldn't be slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer to overtake my truck. I would never be the one to blame if some braindead decides to overtake on the grass and rams my truck sideways from the right. Of course, I would never overtake on that road. And yes, I'm using would, because the safest way to not get damage on that road is to avoid it, which is what I do. When I did use that road in the past, I'd drive normally and if someone damaged my truck, trailer or both, I'd simply use my recording software and reporting skills to get them banned.

People who go there like:

Are the ones making that road to be so dangerous, specially those who think that overtaking is OK no matter the amount of traffic.

Well you miss the point of my post clearly.

First of all, the fact that overtaking is forbidden doesn't mean that every player won't do it. In fact, most of the players will do it if they get the chance. So i'm posting these in order to help the players avoid crashes. I myself have the fastest truck in game, so no i won't sit behind a heavy cargo truck that goes 60 km/h for the whole route.

Secondly, Duisburg to Calais is the road that gets most players every day. I like to pick jobs that get you through that route cause driving in an empty highway makes no sense to me. In that case, i would play the SP which offers at least some AI traffic.

And last but not least if you're not willing to slow down or go a little bit to the right when someone overtakes you, makes you a problem aswell.  Believe it or not a group of the most dangerous drivers on the road in real life are those who stop when they have the right of way (even if it's an act of kindness), those who go 40 km/h on highways, those who don't accelerate when entering the highway or when changing lanes, those who break on yellow light when they are 5 meters far from it etc. So being so pathetic in game makes you a danger to others aswell cause if you can't set your ego aside and help another trucker overtake you (I'm not talking about troll cars, just another fellow trucker with his cargo), then you're making the road dangerous too.

To summarize, since overtaking is happening it's good to follow some ground rules rather than playing god and blocking/reporting everyone who does it. As i said above, a bad situation will eventually happen to anyone at least you should be prepared for it. I only report players who ram/block/troll on purpose. Reporting someone cause he got a bad decision makes no sense to me and whine about it seems childish.

Good tips. Another one of mine is if you see stopped or slow traffic ahead, turn on your hazards as those behind you may not be able to see past you. Otherwise, I tend not to overtake on the CD road. Its almost guaranteed to cause an accident as there is oncoming traffic every 2 seconds.

6 hours ago, BanneD_ said:

i won't sit behind a heavy cargo truck that goes 60 km/h for the whole route.

So you're breaking the rules knowingly. You should be honored with some "your name" time.

And last but not least if you're not willing to slow down or go a little bit to the right when someone overtakes you, makes you a problem aswell

I have all the rights to drive as I want (like you) as long as I don't brake any rules (unlike you). People following the rules are never a problem, people not following them are.

a group of the most dangerous drivers on the road in real life are those who stop when they have the right of way (even if it's an act of kindness), those who go 40 km/h on highways, those who don't accelerate when entering the highway or when changing lanes, those who break on yellow light when they are 5 meters far from it etc. So being so pathetic in game makes you a danger to others aswell cause if you can't set your ego aside and help another trucker overtake you (I'm not talking about troll cars, just another fellow trucker with his cargo), then you're making the road dangerous too.

You have no idea how I drive in the game, so don't make assumptions. I stop sometimes when I have the right of way, sure, because I know that if I don't, some other players coming 130 Km/h like yourself won't yield and destroy my truck/trailer. I don't go 40 Km/h on highways, usually I drive by the speed limits, meaning 80-90-97 Km/h on highways. I don't enter a highway or switch lanes unless I'm sure no one is coming on that lane.

Last but not least, I don't need to set my ego aside, if other truckers need the help of the overtaken player, they should not try to overtake, period. I don't block anyone overtaking me, ever. I don't report people for overtaking me, ever. I'll report them if they damage my truck/trailer because of a reckless overtaking (like I said in my previous post, if you are so kind to read it again). Being so pathetic that you can't wait for some minutes until is safe to overtake makes you and a lot of other people a danger to others and a rule-breaker. I follow the rules, I did when I used to drive on that road, you ignore one of the most basic rules there, who plays god?

EDIT: Last minute idea: check my ban history and then check yours. Once done, tell me who between the both of us is a danger to others...

A foresighted and conservative way of driving is key.

Those who insist on their rights against their better knowledge, approve possible harm of other road users and themselves and bear part of the blame in case of an incident.

Drivers of heavy cargo should consider to drive on the very right side (UK: left side) when considerably falling below the speed limit.

That gives faster road users more space for evasion maneuvers.

Once again, here are my three precepts for safe overtaking:

1. Overtaking is only allowed if you can ensure that no other road user is jeopardized during the entire overtaking process.

2. Overtaking is not allowed if prohibited by traffic signs or in-game rules or if the traffic situation is not clear.

3. Do not overtake in crossroads, at pedestrian crossings or railway crossings.

I have to disagree with a handful of things here...

"When you're head to head to an overtake and there is a truck coming towards you don't go left for any reason at all. It's up to the other drivers to give you space and make it through. If they don't, to my point of view the crash wouldn't be entirely your fault."

-Other malarky about giving space to people-

I'm sorry but that's completely wrong. If you overtake and don't get it done, that's on you. YOU are in THEIR lane. They don't have to give you space to complete your poorly judged overtake, they give you space because they don't want to get wrecked by a bad driver. There's no reason for you to be on the wrong side of the road unless the truck in front of you is going painfully slow. Even then, if you are ever in a position where the guy on the other side of the road has to give you room for you to complete your overtake (excluding very extreme circumstances like slow moving traffic and some sort of obstruction), then you've overtaken poorly, and driven recklessly, which is bannable. If I was forced to the side of the road by your failed overtake attempt, you can bet your ass that I'd submit a report and you'd walk away with a warning or a ban...

-General rules regarding overtaking-

I completely disagree with these in this contex... C-D should be treated like EP. No overtaking at all, except for very specific scenarios (poorly parked truck, truck ahead is going very slow/lagging very bad)

When you're head to head to an overtake, and there is a truck coming towards you, go all in and do it. Braking at this point is not an option and you're likely to cause more crashes by braking

No, braking is an option. In fact, it's probably the option you should go for. If you go head on, you'd likely be looking at a combined speed of about 80-100MPH. That sort of force is going to lift both trucks off the ground, ass first, and you're going to end up with at least one jackknifed trailer blocking the road, causing another 3 or so people too crash into eachother. If you brake, you slow people down, but you don't block to road because you've crashed.

^^I concur, your explanations of how to overtake are so so wrong, but this sentence got me "go all in and do it." WHAT ? I hope to never meet you on the road. 

Players, DO NOT follow these instructions for overtaking. Overtaking is 100% the responsibility of the overtaker, yes the truck being overtaken could slow down but they do not have to, it is just common courtesy but many do not possess that. 

59 minutes ago, TheMcSame said:

they give you space because they don't want to get wrecked by a bad driver. 

Exactly. I didn't make this post to teach people how to overtake. I made it to give a few ideas on how to avoid getting damage.

They don't have to give you space to complete your poorly judged overtake

Totally agree. But people will take bad calls and will overtake in bad spots so it's better to be prepared.

-General rules regarding overtaking-

"You don't need running shoes to run, but i bet they help". My point is that since overtaking is a thing it's better to do it responsibly.

No, braking is an option. In fact, it's probably the option you should go for. If you go head on, you'd likely be looking at a combined speed of about 80-100MPH. That sort of force is going to lift both trucks off the ground, ass first, and you're going to end up with at least one jackknifed trailer blocking the road, causing another 3 or so people too crash into eachother. If you brake, you slow people down, but you don't block to road because you've crashed.

To be honest i don't disagree with you. But the only case where a crash won't happen in a poor overtake call is if the other drivers give you space.While Braking on the other hand will definitely cause jam and maybe some accidents.

Players, DO NOT follow these instructions for overtaking. Overtaking is 100% the responsibility of the overtaker, yes the truck being overtaken could slow down but they do not have to, it is just common courtesy but many do not possess that. 

Going to the right and slowing down is a truck-saving action not only for the other guy but for yourself aswell. I've encountered many bad overtake calls where players were heading to me. I just kept right and kept on going. Staying straight and going for a head to head crash is a pathetic thing to do. You did nothing wrong sure, but you didn't do anything to avoid it aswell. Reporting the overtaker is an option, but as i mentioned above i would never report a player for a bad call. 

20 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

Going to the right and slowing down is a truck-saving action not only for the other guy but for yourself aswell. I've encountered many bad overtake calls where players were heading to me. I just kept right and kept on going. Staying straight and going for a head to head crash is a pathetic thing to do. You did nothing wrong sure, but you didn't do anything to avoid it aswell. Reporting the overtaker is an option, but as i mentioned above i would never report a player for a bad call. 

If you have to avoid by going to the right like you mentioned, then the overtake shouldn't have even been tried in the first place. 

It was mentioned before. You should only overtake if there is a stopped vehicle or some obstruction, for the rest, follow, chill and enjoy the drive. WHY must everyone overtake all the time. I see overtakes, where both trucks are going full speed!!! Ridiculous !!!!!!!!!

I have all the rights to drive as I want (like you) as long as I don't brake any rules (unlike you). People following the rules are never a problem, people not following them are.

Sure that's why i mentioned your driving is pathetic. If someone crashes in a car that's going 40 km/h on the highway it's still his fault. That doesn't make the other driver right though.

Last but not least, I don't need to set my ego aside, if other truckers need the help of the overtaken player, they should not try to overtake, period

Once again, pathetic behavior. In real life you're expected to slightly break and give a little more room to a car that's overtaking you. But i guess that not in the rules so no you shouldn't do it.

Last minute idea: check my ban history and then check yours. Once done, tell me who between the both of us is a danger to others...

I would try to convince you that i'm not the only one playing from my account but there's no point at all. I only drive trucks not cars. Anyway the fact that you're not braking any rules doesn't mean you're not dangerous. I've already told you that 

if you're not willing to slow down or go a little bit to the right when someone overtakes you, makes you a problem aswell.

Bannable cause? No. 

But think of how many crashes could have been avoided if you had taken action.

1 minute ago, Sysgen said:

If you have to avoid by going to the right like you mentioned, then the overtake shouldn't have even been tried in the first place. 

It was mentioned before. You should only overtake if there is a stopped vehicle or some obstruction, for the rest, follow, chill and enjoy the drive. WHY must everyone overtake all the time. I see overtakes, where both trucks are going full speed!!! Ridiculous !!!!!!!!!

It's not necessary that another truck is coming from the other side. You should do it just to stay safe in any case.

Sure that's why i mentioned your driving is pathetic. If someone crashes in a car that's going 40 km/h on the highway it's still his fault. That doesn't make the other driver right though.

Your reading skills are pathetic. I never said that I drive 40 Km/h on a highway, in fact, I said the opposite. And another fact: I don't drive cars.

Once again, pathetic behavior. In real life you're expected to slightly break and give a little more room to a car that's overtaking you. But i guess that not in the rules so no you shouldn't do it.

Once again, pathetic reading skills. I never said that I don't slow down if that helps avoiding an accident (which in fact, I do). And no, in real live you're not expected to slightly break, you're expected to keep driving exactly the same way as you were before the other driver started overtaking, no accelerating, no braking, no swerving right nor left.

I would try to convince you that i'm not the only one playing from my account

Sure, it was the dog... Do you know how pathetic that excuse is? You say things like: "Duisburg-Calais is a route that you can drive up to 130 km/h and be safe" (a road with 60 Km/h limit stretches). "I myself have the fastest truck in game, so no i won't sit behind a heavy cargo truck that goes 60 km/h for the whole route" (meaning that you will overtake no matter what). Then, you (your account) have bans for reckless driving. But that wasn't you, of course. The oldest and most used "Ban appeal excuse".

But think of how many crashes could have been avoided if you had taken action.

I have avoided another players' crashes by taking actions. I have crashed myself for taking actions (swerving right) to let overtakers not crash heads-on into oncoming traffic. Now, think of how many crashes could be avoided if people wouldn't overspeed and/or overtake where/when they shouldn't. Again, you try to blame it on the players driving by the speed limits (or simply slower than you), when it's those who drive recklessly fast the ones who are to blame.

It's not necessary that another truck is coming from the other side. You should do it just to stay safe in any case.

WRONG! You have to do that when you see that the overtaking truck is going to hit yours, and once again, that's because the other driver is unable to perform a clean overtaking. I've been playing long enough and almost always by the speed limits, so I've been overtaken thousands of times. Most people can overtake without me having to do any evasive maneuvers. When I need to swerve right, slow down or hit the brakes, it's because the overtaking driver can't (or doesn't want to) complete the maneuver cleanly. Of course it's good to stick to the road's edge so the overtaking driver has more space, it gives him a better chance to do it cleanly and it gives you a better chance to not get damaged, but that's just courtesy. I do it most of the times, but if I see an ******* coming full speed, using all of the highway lanes because he can't control his vehicle to go within the overtaking lane, I'll keep driving as if I didn't see him, and YES, if he hits my truck, he'll be reported and most likely banned. "Reporting someone cause he got a bad decision makes no sense to me and whine about it seems childish" - Not reporting someone who made a bad decision ensures that he'll keep making bad decisions. Throughout my time in MP, I've come to believe that people only learn the hard way. I think it's childish to play a Truck Simulator as if it were a racing game, but we all are free to have our own opinions.

Anyway, please read all of the answers to your topic. You'll see that most people who replied don't agree with your "overtaking" advices. That must mean something.

Give cookies to FernandoCP and InvasiveSpark, I just couldnt agree more. Havent touched the road that road for 3 months now and i have no reason to use that road. I just drive in the east, west and south, minding my own business, following most of speed  limits or 10km/h above. I just don't like how whole MP must adapt because of that road and... people driving there. First thing to do rework on in this game is that intersection north of Brussel, if SCS will ever do rework on vanilla map.

21 hours ago, TheMcSame said:

I never said that I drive 40 Km/h on a highway, in fact, I said the opposite. And another fact: I don't drive cars.

I was referring to a real life accident.

Once again, pathetic reading skills. I never said that I don't slow down if that helps avoiding an accident (which in fact, I do)

Your words: "So no, I wouldn't be slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer to overtake my truck".

Sure, it was the dog... Do you know how pathetic that excuse is? You say things like: "Duisburg-Calais is a route that you can drive up to 130 km/h and be safe" (a road with 60 Km/h limit stretches). "I myself have the fastest truck in game, so no i won't sit behind a heavy cargo truck that goes 60 km/h for the whole route" (meaning that you will overtake no matter what). Then, you (your account) have bans for reckless driving. But that wasn't you, of course. The oldest and most used "Ban appeal excuse".

The only ban that was directly to myself is the "Useless traffic at EP" and that's because i was afk at EP parked on the right.

I never appealed for them, cause since the account is mine i wouldn't blame my friends or my little brother. I hold myself responsible.Anyway as i said i'm not trying to convince you. I know who i am and i know what i did and didn't. 

I have avoided another players' crashes by taking actions. I have crashed myself for taking actions (swerving right) to let overtakers not crash heads-on into oncoming traffic. Now, think of how many crashes could be avoided if people wouldn't overspeed and/or overtake where/when they shouldn't. 

Your words implied otherwise. You went from: ("So no, I wouldn't be slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer to overtake my truck") to your comment above. Please hold on your opinions.

Again, you try to blame it on the players driving by the speed limits (or simply slower than you), when it's those who drive recklessly fast the ones who are to blame. 

I'm not blaming anyone especially the slow drivers. And i wasn't even referring to the slow drivers, i was referring to pathetic ones. There's a huge gap between these two.

Anyway, please read all of the answers to your topic. You'll see that most people who replied don't agree with your "overtaking" advices. That must mean something.

So far, most of the people who commented here said that they don't even drive to this road (like yourself) plus this post has 255 views. Usually a post is made to argue with the thread, not praise it. So if 5(?) people disagree with it and they don't even drive to D-C, that means nothing really. I drive this route once a day (One job usually) and following the things i posted gets me through with less than 10% damage. I don't expect people who don't even drive there to appreciate these tips, but if that means that 100 more people will start being more careful, it's a win really. Someone who drives there daily can give me a much better perspective if something i said is better to be avoided.

49 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

Your words: "So no, I wouldn't be slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer to overtake my truck".

It's not the same slowing down or going out of the road to avoid an accident (which I do) and slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer overtake more easily. Someone is coming full speed, I keep driving the same. If he needs more space, it's because he can't control his truck, when most other people can (I know this from experience). And like someone else said before, if you are overtaking, side by side with the overtaken driver and see some other truck oncoming fast, you should swerve left and go out of the road. It's your fault being in that situation. Not expect the overtaken one to swerve right, out of the road, or crash into him because he didn't slow down or go out.

1 hour ago, BanneD_ said:

Your words implied otherwise. You went from: ("So no, I wouldn't be slowing down or going out of the road to allow some racer to overtake my truck") to your comment above. Please hold on your opinions.

Seeing how you distinguish between slow and "pathetic" drivers, I do the same thing. It's not the same an overtaker than a pathetic racer. An overtaker is someone going faster that knows how to overtake. A racer is that who needs to go full speed and will try to overtake no matter what, where or when. Those, I don't give them any easyness.

52 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

I'm not blaming anyone especially the slow drivers. And i wasn't even referring to the slow drivers, i was referring to pathetic ones. There's a huge gap between these two.

So define "pathetic drivers".

57 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

So far, most of the people who commented here said that they don't even drive to this road (like yourself)

That doesn't mean that we never drove on that road. I stopped doing it because no matter how careful I was, some speeders always hit my truck/cargo dealing lots of damage. So we know the way things go there. And I can tell that your tips can help a little, but my goal when doing jobs is deliver the cargo with no damage, 10% is too much for me. If people started to drive carefully on that road, there would be almost no overtakings at peak hours, but this is not going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived