Rule Suggestion: Driving whilst "Connecting"

DanBennett

6 hours ago, Darth Wazawai said:

I don't think this needs to actually be a rule as spawning on the roads is not permitted already and if one causes issues doing so is a banable offence.

That's the thing I'm on about though. That's something that keeps happening to me which is why I raised it. No one can be banned for doing it currently as there is no rule against it.

^the thing is, although it can happen, there's no real way of stopping it from happening, I mean, the only real way to know that its happening is when people report it in like with everything else, even though a rule is in place, it doesn't necessarily stop it from happening. Trolls will always use it, oblivious people will always do it, the only thing that changes is that admins get more reports per week to deal with than now, but I will say, if someone does spawn in and cause you or anyone else to wreck out, if you capture it happening, im sure you can always report it as dangerous driving/causing a collision.

A rule will not really stop anyone from doing it. And even if there would be one, how to proof that he was driving while connecting?

I rather would suggest that spawning players have no collisions for a few seconds so people have time to react to it.

• Upvote 1

This would be impossible to monitor because it is a once off thing. Once he/she has spawned in, they would just drive off and nothing could be done. Even if you submitted a website report, the evidence of him/her spawning in on you would be very remote and would not result in a kick/ban.

I've done that before (Right at the entrance of the Rotterdam Service Station, didnt know i'd spawn there)

Got kicked immediately. (It's the right decision because people may crash into me)

There should be ways to improve this like:

1) Spawning players will not have collisions for a few seconds (credit to Akuba)

2) Give a 5 second time to move out of the way before connecting to the servers

image.png.701b87940b373cd99b50f1c9c3c76cb6.png

Are you serious??? Still 350ms ping in-game???

^the thing is, if you have collisions disabled on spawn in, its easily abused by trolls, really the only thing that can be done is to get people to use their common sense for once, to only start driving once they are connected to the server and if they have issues, they are to park off the road, simple, no need for kick/ban rules or radical codes that can be abused in seconds, getting people to use their brain is what is required more than anything.

I have taken several hits from players connecting right in front of me. People should really make an effort to connect in NCZs or at least not in the middle of the road. If you get disconnected you can still park up somewhere before restarting the game. For most of ETS2 you can use the web map to be really sure if you aren't in an NCZ. Only a game crash (how rare is that?) makes it more difficult, but that only makes starting SP to move somewhere safe more natural.

In all, it happens too often when it should be easy to avoid. I think it should be part of the rules, along with other ways of just appearing somewhere such as loading saves. It's certainly part of my rulebook. If you must do it at all, take the necessary precautions.

Disabling collisions for a few seconds should be fine. It shouldn't affect any normal play. It would be difficult to abuse any more than you can now. Abuse would almost certainly decrease overall.

^the only time I personally have respawned in the middle of the road has been when the game has crashed to desktop and ive had no way of getting on the side of the road before it happens.

Also, Temporary NC can be easily abused, you think, a troll that co ordinates with a friend, has his friend follow a victim, the other guy goes offline ahead a certain distance, respawns, the victim drives through them, they move as the NC disables, the victim goes siling through the air or under the map, the trolls drive away without issue.

Also, you WANT to stop people from spawning on the roads as much as possible, if you add a NC system, chances are more people will be lazy and spawn on the roads causing more incidents and anger than what is current.

14 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

Also, Temporary NC can be easily abused

You can abuse most things in this game at the end. If you go with this argument, most thing never should have been added.

14 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

Also, you WANT to stop people from spawning on the roads as much as possible, if you add a NC system, chances are more people will be lazy and spawn on the roads causing more incidents and anger than what is current.

Isn't this exactly what most players already do? I stopped counting how often someone spawned in front of me. Especially on high traffic places like Rotterdam or Europort I got more hits from connecting players than from trolls.

^firstly, yeah EVERYTHING can be abused if you let it, but if you THINK about how it can be abused and drum up a solution for that, that's how you clear up an idea.

Also, that's exactly what I was saying, hence what I said, if you add a NC system, people get more lazy and spawn on the roads more and more causing double the issue we have now, that is what I was saying, please read the quote you took from my post carefully as what you have done is misinterpreted what I was saying.

What about a suggestion: After hitting the "drive" button, the server gives you 10 seconds before it connects to park/go to a safe place. e.g road shoulder

Admins if you think this is a feasible suggestion, tell me to create a seperate suggestions thread using the format.

^Everyone gets the "10 second no connection" rule, no matter which location they are in.And if they still spawn in undesirable areas, therewill be a reason for admins to ban them because they did not move out of the way.

And it also allows people enough time to correct their mistakes like in this thread: https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/31571-incompetent-admins-just-watch-this/#comment-290232

^the thing is, 10 seconds isn't a long enough time if you drive manual or are carrying a heavy load, by the time you are able to get moving from that point, you are already spawned or are in the process of moving out of the way, same result as the current system.

No, NCZ is a better option, but it has its drawbacks too ,personally, I would rather like to see a system that only connects you to the server when you are out of the flow of traffic and stationary. So say you join and you are sat in the middle of a single carriageway, you wont be connected to the server till your vehicle is puled off of the road completely and has come to a stop. that way, trolls cant just go on the side of the road, connect and just pull back on potentially into traffic, you will have to be at a complete stop before connection is established to the server. But, if you spawn in while parked in a NCZ, you get automatic connection as normal. This way, it forces people to be completely off the road before spawning in and gives the incentive to park up in NCZs where the likelihood of something happening is next to 0%.

What about drivers who stop to rest at highway rest stops? There ain't any NCZs there.

And It would take A LOT of work from the devs to figure out "this place is the rest stop, you can spawn in" because all trucks, when spawned in, will be stopped.

^the thing is, if SCS implement their new system for map creating, then it will be easier to set which part of the road is a no parking area and which isn't. Also, I said you would be connected in areas where you are OFF the Road and out of the flow of traffic, since Rest areas are off the road and out of the flow of traffic, logic dictates that they will be included. All im saying is that it will kill 2 birds with one stone, it would stop people parking/spawning on the road and blocking traffic and by making people stop before they get connected, theres no issue with trolls just jumping off and on the road again and wrecking people. Also it would make people want to park in places off the road and in NCZs more than on the side of the road etc.

Also its not that difficult to do, because the game works off of prebabs and such, you just designate the given prefab as a place to stop/spawn or not, same as how NCZs work right now, they are based off of the prefab systems.

I supportted this suggestion.

I think there is no need to spend time on all sorts of technical tricks (10 sec & etc). Enough to make a point in game rules, prohibiting players to loading in the game on the road. After receiving the report - issuing a ban with a tangible time period. This will quickly wean players away from this bad habit and disrespectful to other players.

10.jpg?_1693113983

9 hours ago, PinKPanther1020 said:

Eventually, check if a player is in a NCZ zone when connecting, and if he isn't, TP him to the nearest one.

But that would require turning parking zones and fuel stations (or atleast, the parking part of the fuel station) into a NCZ.

I like that idea about teleporting the player. But i dont see why adding extra NCZs would be required. 

76561198045612226.png

On 24/05/2016 at 9:44 PM, AlexKERNEL said:

I supportted this suggestion.

I think there is no need to spend time on all sorts of technical tricks (10 sec & etc). Enough to make a point in game rules, prohibiting players to loading in the game on the road. After receiving the report - issuing a ban with a tangible time period. This will quickly wean players away from this bad habit and disrespectful to other players.

Good idea to make it into the game rules.

I normally only close the game when I'm at the road shoulders or a parking place.

However, what about the players who have game crash issues? The game autosaves the location, regardless of crash or not. Then these people will spawn into the game, unknowingly in the middle of the road. Or they will have to go to SP to move their truck (troublesome)

Although if the devs can turn all road shoulders into spawn points (probably impossible), teleporting can be a good idea so that the trips will not be messed up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.