Wondering: If you had to pay a small amount of money to play TruckersMP, would you?

Jobawick

Hello all.

I was just wondering about your views on if TruckersMP did one day become something you had to pay for, a membership as such. For example, let's say you only had to pay $5 per year for the use of MP, would you happily pay for this membership? I am just wondering, that's all. Would you change your mind if it was more expensive?

What would your views be on something like this?

(I have no association with the MP team. As far as I'm aware (and I hope) there is no payment required to play MP coming ever. Don't think I am hinting at anything here!  :P  :P )

Holiday Player - Former Soarfly Logistics Staff Member - Event Supervisor of Haulage 64 2017

No I wouldn't pay. There are donations for this.

If we had paid servers every single people that would get banned would come in and moan about it talking about the fact that they paid for this. And I wouldn't pay anyway, I pay for a game, not for mods (even if they're awesome, like this one).

^^ Exactly. I'm back working after 4 months unemployed and just now I made a donation (to celebrate ATSMP, I guess  :) ). It's true that if the MP mod is made payment-based, there would be no way to deal with trolls: "I paid, you can't forbid me to play".

And the legal problems that would bring to the developers... No way. They can not profit from another company's game, SCS would sue them.

No one don't have a right to say "i paid, you can't ban me". For instance, i'm also playing Eve-Online for more than 10 years; but i know that the team has the right to ban/kick me out of the game if i don't follow the in-game rules. Rules are rules; everyone have to obey. Otherwise, all the rules should be removed in all of the pay&play games, do you think that you can play/enjoy the game when there's no rule? Players are paying for gaming, not to have "right of trolling" imo.

About the legal problems; yeah, this can be an issue. 

I don't think I would pay. Not because I don't think it's worth any money as it is now, but because I fear / expect that a huge percentage of the players in MP right now would choose not to pay. MP as it is now is totally depending on many active players to be interesting, as there is no other traffic. Even with 1700 - 1800 players on the relatively small ATS map one can often find oneself driving all alone for significant periods of time.

(on a side note, I am slightly concerned for the limit of 2000 players per server when the map gets bigger. ETS map is practically empty, even with 1000+ players online.)

Scandinavia DLC came out in MP and scs at the same time.. I believe SCS do support this mod somehow.. I don't know how..  Subscription wont work because , not everyone would pay and the servers will be empty and the paid players expects everything to be working perfect, which adds a huge responsibility over the MP team.. and also the ban issues.

Hello all.

I was just wondering about your views on if TruckersMP did one day become something you had to pay for, a membership as such. For example, let's say you only had to pay $5 per year for the use of MP, would you happily pay for this membership? I am just wondering, that's all. Would you change your mind if it was more expensive?

What would your views be on something like this?

(I have no association with the MP team. As far as I'm aware (and I hope) there is no payment required to play MP coming ever. Don't think I am hinting at anything here!  :P  :P )

No, I wouldn't pay. As mentioned already, donations are already in place and if someone wants to donate then they can, but I don't think it should be forced. And I am not aware of the rights regarding this, but there could possibly be problems if you are charging for usage of SCS Software's game.

I wouldn't mind if they added donation perks for donating. Of course, these perks wouldn't give an advantage over another player.

Thanks for all these replies guys. I can understand all of your ideas in what would happen if something like this did occur. Hopefully it won't though because I love this mod as it is and I know it is only going to get better!

-Jobawick

Holiday Player - Former Soarfly Logistics Staff Member - Event Supervisor of Haulage 64 2017

Archived