How do you make the simulator feel more realistic? What are your specific settings?

Dear fellow truckers who strive for maximum realism in gaming,

this topic is about sharing your game settings, i.e., profile settings, to adapt the game to a more realistic experience.

An example could be specific values for truck and trailer stability settings, a changed income factor, or even adjusted mirror visibility settings.

What's your experience? What works best for you?

And what do you think should or shouldn't be changed at all?

I'm curious to learn more about your answers, ideas, and experiences! 🙂

• Like 3

Hello!

I don’t really have that much specific settings, however I play pretty realistic. It’s not about my settings as ETS2 does not have that much thing you can change, instead of stability settings etc. It’s all about my gameplay. Even in C-D road, I try to follow the speed limit/keep under 90 km/h. Also, I don’t drive without a load. I always get a job using the dispatcher in TAB. Thankfully with the dispatcher, I can set loads between Calais and Duisburg as I usually drive in C-D road. Also, using realistic trucks or realistic modifications improves the realistic experience, it has a huge impact.

So for me, it’s more about the gameplay and driving. 

Cheers,

Kaan.

• Thanks 1

Hello @blabberbeak,

First of all, thank you very much for this beautiful topic. We are in constant communication with each other in the community by talking about such topics.

I don't have any special settings that I used to make it more realistic while playing the game. I like to go faster. Of course, going fast doesn't mean I hurt other players. I go quickly and carefully where necessary. In terms of realism, I try not to crash and use things like signals and selectors a lot. I'm not looking for realism much. A game is a game, even if it is a simulation game. I'm looking to enjoy.

Regards,

'Nhympex.

• Thanks 1

Since I now only use single player, I reverted my settings to that (some of them weren't at all the best choice for TMP).

Stability, suspensions and braking, all at 0.0

Income factor, 0.1

Also, not having any eye/head tracking options, I have adjusted the left side mirror for highest visibility and use the F2 right side mirror, so I don't need to use the mouse to see the "real" mirror.

Other than these, always follow the posted limits, unless the trailer I'm hauling at the moment has a lower one. Like, a highway in Spain allows up to 90 Km/h, but if my trailer has the 80 sticker, that will be my speed.

Stopping at red lights, STOP signs, yielding when needed, etc.

I've always tried to drive in the game the same as I would drive IRL, not going to change now 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi, in the game settings, I set the parameters of the truck to a minimum so that it would be more realistic (except for the braking intensity of the tc, this can lead to a ban), I also have a realistic hitch with a trailer, a manual transmission, I don't have any F2 mirrors.

When I'm driving and I run out of fuel, I try to refuel at a gas station with cheap fuel, for example in Russia. although I have no problems with money in the game, I try to take this moment of realism into account. 

I drive with loads from WOT, so my speed is max90. I follow the rules of the road. But if there is no one around, I can ignore the forbidding traffic light signal. 

• Thanks 1

I think the most important thing is to

have a steering wheel. Keyboard just feels weird especially one you've used a wheel.

I also don't like putting the brake intensity to it's maximum as that feels very

unrealistic and unsatisfying. One thing i have activated 

is realistic fuel consumption as well as the realistic attachment of your trailer

Besides that my settings are very basic.

Have a nice day!

Hello,

Thank you so much for making this an interesting topic!

Personally, I think you need a good controller to enjoy the game more realistically. This is because driving by turning the steering wheel more than 900 degrees using a racing wheel like the G29 is more realistic than using a keyboard. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Woah! 1

Languages: EN / KRNJAP |  Discord: werzey

TruckersMP Support System  | Knowledge Base | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback System

Report System | Appeal Ban 

spacer.png  

Hello,

Thanks for bringing up a good topic. I also play the game realistically, so I will tell you how I play realistically.

- First, the truck and trailer balance i use it in the middle.
- I use 12 gears in my vehicle with the sequential gear option.
- I'm going 90km/h.
- I usually take long haul loads. (min: 800km)
- I get a one-time job from time to time.
- I try to use my own trailer as much as possible.

- If I want to change my truck, I take a load to the garage where my truck is and take it there and change my truck there.
- Because I play with keyboard+mouse, the steering sensitivity in the game is like this and I use the sensitivity of my mouse as 200dpi.

spacer.png
- I'm picking up a new load from where I delivered the shipment.

Kind regards,

Sammy.

Definitely get a steering wheel and pedals if you don't have them already and just do everything in game like your driving IRL. There is settings to do with air pressures and trailer stability etc that you can always turn on to make the game even more realistic and interesting. But I'd definitely do research on these options if you have no idea what they actually do or mean. 

Thank you all for your valuable contributions so far.

I'd like to go a bit more into detail.

@Kaan ., @FernandoCR [ESP], @Yarkoon, @Sαммч., @Sir Jack Junior,

you mentioned that you adjust your brake intensity, truck and trailer stability settings as well as turn on air pressure.

Do you do this in the UI of the game only or rather edit your game file?

Why do adjust these settings to that particular value? Is it driven by experience on how physics in reality work or is it just something that feels right or better for you?

Have you ever considered or enable fatigue settings, fines, income factor of jobs, and resting periods, for that extra little bit of realism?
Could you imagine a point of realism where you'd maybe draw a line and say "that's too much of realism for me"?

My settings are changed from the game menus or using the in-game console if I want very accurate and specific values, and I changed them because even when I've never driven a truck, it feels wrong to go on the road, 80 Km/h and be able to take any turns as if you were in a TGV, no bobbling of the cabin, no risk of tilting...

About all those other settings you mention, I did enable them too. Wouldn't use fatigue simulation in TruckersMP because it's too risky, if you fail to rest when required for whatever reasons, you could end up banned.

In single player, though, I have all of those you mention enabled and I plan on starting a new profile (does this ring a bell 😄) with lowered income factor at 0.1. It's still high probably, but I read somewhere (from Granite, I believe) that this parameter doesn't change the repairs or fuel costs, so a too low income factor could cause me to go in debt only for filling the tank... No, tank you (pun intended).

The resting periods, I used to respect (even harder than IRL) in TruckersMP, only instead of game/server time, I used real time (WoTr jobs influence, I guess). I'd never drive for more than 1.5 hours without stopping and going out of the game for a while, to grab a drink, check forum/Discord, simply stretch my muscles a bit or... To submit a web report! 🤣

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, blabberbeak said:

Спасибо вам всем за ваш ценный вклад на данный момент.

Я хотел бы остановиться немного подробнее.

@Kaan ., @ФернандоКР [ОСОБЕННО], @Яркун, @Sαммч., @Сэр Джек Джуниор,

вы упомянули, что вы настраиваете интенсивность торможения, настройки устойчивости грузовика и прицепа, а также включаете давление воздуха.

Вы делаете это только в пользовательском интерфейсе игры или скорее редактируете свой игровой файл?

Зачем настраивать эти настройки на это конкретное значение? Это обусловлено опытом того, как работает физика в реальности, или это просто то, что кажется правильным или лучше для вас?

Вы когда-нибудь рассматривали или включали настройки усталости, штрафы, коэффициент дохода на рабочих местах и периоды отдыха, чтобы придать ему дополнительную реалистичность?
Можете ли вы представить точку реализма, где вы, возможно, подвели бы черту и сказали: "для меня это слишком реалистично"?

Hi, I'm setting up in the user interface. All these values were not chosen by chance, since I have experience driving a truck, I make settings based on this experience.

Fatigue and penalties were enabled in my game settings, but later I turned it off. I did not change the income coefficient and the rest period, since for me this is not the most important thing in the game.

It will become too realistic for me when I feel with my whole body how my truck is working and driving, as well as when I start to smell diesel.😆

• Haha 1

I try to have it as realistic as possible:

• stability for truck & trailer very low but not at zero as I find it doesn't give any chance to not crash if you arrive a little too fast in a sharp turn you didn't see coming.
  • Even if in reality 99% of trucks use automatic transmissions I always use manual transmission because it's more challenging to make sure you are always in the right rpm range (especially when starting a climb with heavy cargo)
  • low power engines. Because in real life only few heavy cargo transports require 600+ bhp engines. And 90% of the trucks you see on the roads have less than 600 bhp (most are between 450 and 500 bhp).
  • In terms of brakes I'm setting them quite progressive and try to anticipate and use the retarder as much as possible (like people do in real life). I also have air brakes activated which is super interesting and challenging when you need to brake a lot like on the quarry road in Promods. You might end up with no pressure and your truck completely stuck in the middle of the road because there is not enough pressure to release the brakes. Because truck brakes are automatically blocked, and only the air pressure allows to unlock them. If you have a problem of air pressure (i.e. pipe with a puncture) you can't move or will have some wheel blocked.
  • and as mentioned by others, I also respect the speed limits and traffic signals (traffic lights, stops, give way, etc...)

3 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Thank you all for your valuable contributions so far.

I'd like to go a bit more into detail.

@Kaan ., @FernandoCR [ESP], @Yarkoon, @Sαммч., @Sir Jack Junior,

you mentioned that you adjust your brake intensity, truck and trailer stability settings as well as turn on air pressure.

Do you do this in the UI of the game only or rather edit your game file?

Why do adjust these settings to that particular value? Is it driven by experience on how physics in reality work or is it just something that feels right or better for you?

Have you ever considered or enable fatigue settings, fines, income factor of jobs, and resting periods, for that extra little bit of realism?
Could you imagine a point of realism where you'd maybe draw a line and say "that's too much of realism for me"?

+ I do it from game settings.

+ So that's what I did before, and now I'm using it like that, and I don't make any changes.

+ Yes fatigue adjustment, penalties etc. open, forgot to mention. 

My goal is to have a simulator experience that is as close as possible to the real world.

I therefore follow all real-world national road traffic regulations and laws, including all speed limits and resting periods.

Furthermore, I have penalties, fatigue simulation, air brake simulation, and realistic fuel consumption enabled.

Additionally, I configure my truck in a way that matches mostly what I see on the road in real life, which means not overpowered and certainly no abuse of accessories.

Besides that, I lower the income factor and the break intensity and stability settings of the truck and trailer as well.

It would be nice if we had a real-world trucker who could share some of his or her preferred settings. 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 
We apply these procedures in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards

Nody,

TruckersMP Forum Moderator.