Should i use automatic or manual?

FxrFearless

So im wodnering if using maunal would make my acceleration faster, I have scania with 650hp engine, 12+2 retarder transmission, and 6x4 chassis, and i feel like im falling behind when it comes from a complete stop. if i should do manual, how should i shift gears so that its most optimal for acceleration, or should i change my truck build? i usually haul something around 20 tons. thanks

Guest Rebeloutlaw22
13 minutes ago, FxrFearless said:

So im wodnering if using maunal would make my acceleration faster, I have scania with 650hp engine, 12+2 retarder transmission, and 6x4 chassis, and i feel like im falling behind when it comes from a complete stop. if i should do manual, how should i shift gears so that its most optimal for acceleration, or should i change my truck build? i usually haul something around 20 tons. thanks

I cannot speak for anyone else except myself. I have been driving for quite a while in both automatic transmission as well as manual transmission and when I do operate in manual transmission I use the paddles that were on my Logitech G29 wheel. when I was playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 I learned that operating in manual was a very good benefit to me because it benefited the way I drive and it helped me slow down quicker and then it also helped me take off quicker. this also applies when I play American Truck simulator. now recently my wheel broke so I had to purchase a new one and I have recently got the Logitech g923 and I have a shifter that is coming as well and this is going to be a new experience for me because I have never actually had a shifter I've only used paddle shifting. the one consideration that I would tell you no matter what game that you play is manual transmission will always be better than automatic transmission when going down steep hills or inclines or going up hills or steep inclines. what I mean by that is when you're in automatic the truck will automatically shift determining what gear it needs to be in by the Revolutions of the engine. if you are operating in manual transmission you have full control of the engine therefore you can put the truck in whatever gear you feel is best to keep the momentum. so when it comes to automatic or manual you have to determine how they operate by using both of them for a period of time and then you can get the positive and the negative for both. I would save for me I prefer manual transmission because it is something that I have got used to and I enjoy. when I first started playing both of these games I stayed in automatic and that's what I liked and I tried manual and I hated it at first but once I got used to it I won't go back to automatic so it's honestly it comes down to what do you feel comfortable with and is the choice of manual or automatic driving beneficial to your operation of your vehicle

A lot of the players you see driving fast are using 730/750hp engines and 6 speed allison gearboxes and light (10t or less)/no cargo (the least realistic setup possible), but honestly you won't have too much of a major difference between manual and automatic shifting.

In theory yes it may be a little bit faster to shift manually, but probably not be worth the extra effort to you UNLESS you enjoy the act of manually shifting.

Generally speaking I wouldn't worry too much about not being as fast as other people anyways, its not a racing game at the end of the day and I guarantee you will catch up to them in stopped traffic anyways if you are driving in busy areas.

24H4oa0.jpg

2 hours ago, FxrFearless said:

Hello there @FxrFearless

Not really difference between Auto and Manual Gear system when you using 12 gear system mostly people use that system with Heavy Haul like over 50 Ton. 

and If you try the use Volvo 750HP FH16 4x2 6 gear or Scania S series 4x2 6 gear with less than 10 Ton Load you will quickly speed up.

After my G27 broke down, I bought the Driving Force GT, in which I'm using the automatic gearbox. I honestly don't see much difference, I might even switch to the manual, but I won't get used to it, so I prefer the automatic. 

Previous classification.: imagem%5D

Idiomas: Português e Inglês | Discórdia: _amexz_

Bem-vindo e boa condução! 🚚🚧

You can experiment with them in desolate areas. Take the same route and similar loads. Do one with Automatic. Then, do the same route (in opposite direction if you wish) in Manual.

Personally, i use Manual. As i can switch a couple of gears without waiting for Automatic to cycle through them.

If you use Real Automatic, uninstall the game.

This is not Need for Speed, highest price does not equal to highest speed or acceleration.

You have picked pretty much the worst option for your expectations.

I don't give you any more tips, sorry.:LUL:

3 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Personally, i use Manual. As i can switch a couple of gears without waiting for Automatic to cycle through them.

3 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

If you use Real Automatic, uninstall the game.

What? Automatic chooses gears as needed and skips gears!

All of the transmissions in ETS2 as well as ATS are AMT or true automatic, yes, those 6 or 7  speed transmissons can't even be manually operated in reality.

Your suggestion is so lame it thinks reporting people in TMP is not a waste of time.

• Upvote 1

Hello @FxrFearless,

First of all thank you for taking the time to ask this question. 

Personally, I often drive the Scania truck and use automatic gear. I am literally better off driving with the automatic transmission in general. I don't know if it was really due to the automatic to manual gear for the speed factor. 

Regards, 

ROMANISTA [ITA] 

TruckersMP Veteran Player 

1329247034_role_ReportModerator(1).png.9

2 hours ago, Granite said:

What? Automatic chooses gears as needed and skips gears!

All of the transmissions in ETS2 as well as ATS are AMT or true automatic, yes, those 6 or 7  speed transmissons can't even be manually operated in reality.

Your suggestion is so lame it thinks reporting people in TMP is not a waste of time.

That's the point of Automatic. It cycles through the gears so you don't have to. However, to me. That seems slower as it cycles through 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th (12 speed).

Real Automatic is the most horrible transmission i've ever experienced. Like extra weight was applied as it struggles to get up to speed. Course, this was the start of my ETS 2 career.

Once i discovered Manual, i never went back. I can shift 2, maybe 3 gears (12 speed) as the vehicle gets going. Just have to listen for when the gear is about to reach the max speed it can go (For example, 6th being 45).

If you use Real Automatic, you aren't getting the most of your vehicle. Like your stacking 40 trailers of heavy cargo onto it.

I'm still going to use the in game report function when i can. Now that i'm aware that GMM's have a 2 minute replay feature, i don't need to waste time with web reports. Where a declined report removes a reporting slot.

Next time you want to throw out an insult, actually finish it. Just a bunch of nothing, that a diamond lost its gleam.

13 hours ago, FxrFearless said:

What's your intention here?! Seems like you're a "fearless" person. Good for you. But ETS2 and TMP aren't places where you try to do the fastest 0 to 60.

To answer your question, it's not about being able to reach a certain speed quickly. But to be able to drive on any road with the load you're carrying. One configuration will be very fast on flat but just poor on mountain roads or non-tarmac surface.

If you were asking about pulling power and traction I would have been able to help but if it's for "faster acceleration" I'll leave it here.

30 minutes ago, Somehow Lucky said:

That's the point of Automatic. It cycles through the gears so you don't have to. However, to me. That seems slower as it cycles through 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th (12 speed).

Real Automatic is the most horrible transmission i've ever experienced. Like extra weight was applied as it struggles to get up to speed. Course, this was the start of my ETS 2 career.

Once i discovered Manual, i never went back. I can shift 2, maybe 3 gears (12 speed) as the vehicle gets going. Just have to listen for when the gear is about to reach the max speed it can go (For example, 6th being 45).

If you use Real Automatic, you aren't getting the most of your vehicle. Like your stacking 40 trailers of heavy cargo onto it.

Maybe you should try it again then  before saying something that simply isn't true, real automaticst works very well, it mimics real thing afterall, the game evolved a lot. With empty trailer, it will go 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, without trailer even like 5, 8, 10, 11 12. Depends on load and incline too, you absolutely need those low gears when you are heavy. There is also eco/normal/power setting you can choose from. Sequantial can also skip gears if smart setting is enabled, and switching between automatic and sequential can be done with a button, like in real trucks.

Simple automatic is just wrong, that's GTA driving, also keyboard throttle is no good for automatic transmissions, becasue you are always giving 100% and it has a tendency to late shifting and downshifting as if you need more power, so maybe that's part of your problem, analog control is highly preferable.

30 minutes ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Next time you want to throw out an insult, actually finish it. Just a bunch of nothing, that a diamond lost its gleam.

Sorry, was meant more like sarcasm, but I just don't consider your advice useful or wise, thank you very much.

22 hours ago, FxrFearless said:

I have scania with 650hp engine, 12+2 retarder transmission

If you want faster acceleration, change it to the 6 retarder transmission, it picks up the speed faster. My friend told me this and when I made the switch, I instantly felt that its acceleration changed to a tesla model 3 from a honda civic lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

You can't convince me Real Automatic is an investment. Start up your Real Automatic now. You might be able to get through a flat surface green light by Christmas.

Sorry, can't help, I'm playing completely different game.

It was a mistake to even reply to this thread, disregard everything I've said as it's only applicable if your goal is efficiency and ease of use, nothing else.

Goodbye.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Granite said:

Sorry, can't help, I'm playing completely different game.

It was a mistake to even reply to this thread, disregard everything I've said as it's only applicable if your goal is efficiency and ease of use, nothing else.

Goodbye.

Your the one with the problem. If nobody else listens to your playstyle, you can't handle having the wrong cards dealt.

Since you want to be like this, don't follow my links or watch me on the map.

Don't bother replying. Welcome to the ignored list.

• Awesome! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 

We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards,

OmSaL

TruckersMP Community Moderator