Improve communication and release window for the community

freddiebox

"it will be ready when it is ready" is better than no communication at all.

I've played many games. and alot of them don't have any communication at all apart from when they need something from the community or their telling them whats in the update that just came out.

Key difference here is indie and multi million developers are getting paid to do their job where as this is a hobby done in spare time. Even then most companies cant create the type of bond this community creates towards players and staff.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is an announcement of a nonbinding timeframe good for?

In the first place, it should provide a rough estimation of a release date (that can be pre- or postponed any time).
Similar to a weather forecast.

That in turn will raise expectations.

As soon as it becomes apparent that the given (nonbinding, mind you) timeframe fails to meet the deadline, expectations will be dashed.

Dashed expectations lead to disappointment, sadness, anger and hate.
But moreover, it eventually will bring up the questions of a (nonbinding) timeframe again.

And so the circle is complete.

So - what is an announcement of a nonbinding timeframe good for?

~ Joao

Alright, so this is why the ambiguity is necessary. In the past, modders, as well as developers, would give a release date. However, due to problems in the development they would extend the release date. The problem is, that the community ALWAYS raged. And, it wasn't in just minor spits here and there, the developers would be absolutely bombarded with people trash talking the game, the developers, and everything else in-between. And if this was the third for fourth date extension, every forum, e-mail, bug reports, and so on would be absolutely nuked. This problem only slows development further as attention is taken away from the game while ultimately causes a huge PR problem for something that is only a convenience for those who are now causing the problem.

So, if you're looking to angrily blame someone for the removal of release dates, you only need to look in the mirror.

4 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

What is an announcement of a nonbinding timeframe good for?

In the first place, it should provide a rough estimation of a release date (that can be pre- or postponed any time).
Similar to a weather forecast.

That in turn will raise expectations.

As soon as it becomes apparent that the given (nonbinding, mind you) timeframe fails to meet the deadline, expectations will be dashed.

Dashed expectations lead to disappointment, sadness, anger and hate.
But moreover, it eventually will bring up the questions of a (nonbinding) timeframe again.

And so the circle is complete.

So - what is an announcement of a nonbinding timeframe good for?

~ Joao

The key thing is, giving the community a simple update on progress isn't that hard to do at all, it's a win win, it stops,people making useless threads about if and when the next update would be ready and gives the community an insight into how far along the next update is from release, estimated or not. It's better to have some information than none at all, even if it's just something saying that there has been no advancement due to personal reasons, at least then we all would know what's going on. 

As as a indie developer myself, I know that keeping people informed about how far progress for either release or update is a large plus for a developer, people respect being given information, not slated with "it'll be ready when it's ready" that annoys people more because so many models and devs use that terminology as a cop out phrase for not making any progress in weeks, that's all. 

The closest you will ever come to getting a mod that is autoupdated is if TMP team up with SCS, but SCS are not intrested in multiplayer.

MWL has said this will take longer than normal as there are changes in the games engine core or something.

But yeah i agree that it would be good if there was a timeframe put out there.

Come on guys, why hound the OP? He has a legitimate concern - the update is taking longer than usual, and all he wants is a vague time line (within a month, 6 weeks, etc.). I mean, it really isn't that hard. NOTHING set in stone because the intelligent community knows that things change. Just keep us in the loop a bit more is all I'm saying. I'm fine if I have to wait 2 months, I'm patient, but I liken this situation to the deal with the Chevrolet SS in the States. All sales have been stopped and vehicles in delivery have been impounded due to a major seat/airbag problem for over three months now with no timetable for getting their car back. Is that how you treat supporters? I know this is a free, hobby project, I am patient, I will wait, but it wouldn't be too hard to just give a very vague timetable.

I agree. Being kept informed (not of a release date but just kept up to date) of progress would be nice rather than just being told it's ready when it's ready. We know it's ready when it's ready ipso facto IT'S READY -_- However by the looks of this post your better off not having an opinion that differs from the rest of the community because you will just get attacked for doing so. 

Its not like we still cant enjoy the game and mp ,I tend to say Ill enjoy it til the update comes out then have some fun with the new update,were not paying for this so really have nothing to complain about,thanks to all involved in the work going on in the back ground so we can enjoy this great hobby  they would have more time to dedicate to working on the update if they wernt always trying to defend themselves

Again, it is a free mod. The devs don't owe us anything but are kind enough to provide this MP for us to enjoy. Be grateful and be appreciative. Most of all, be patient. The short attention span and a need for instant gratification need to be suppressed. Experience has shown me that even if you do announce progress or a deadline, you will still be subject to a bombardment of "When will...." posts. You can't win.

Nobody is saying they're not grateful for the mod but a little more professionalism wouldn't go a miss especially now they're after peoples money in the form of merchandise and donations. It seems they spend very little of their own time defending themselves because they have so many sheep ready to jump any time a topic creates any form of debate or difference of opinion. 

"So many sheep" hahaha i only started hearing this from the ARK forums and still think its stupid. Its not that people are ready to jump as you put it. Its just that we have some understanding that this is done in spare time. If it was their job then yes i would expect more professionalism but its not.

Are they shoving merchandise and donations down your throat? No. This is a mod not a game. They don't have to do anything.

So please toodle off somewhere else. We don't need name calling and all that stuff here thanks.

So anything that is not your profession doesn't require professionalism? Is that what your saying? They don't owe us anything? We don't owe them anything either. There was life before the mod and i'm sure there will be life after it as well. It would be a shame but life will go on. You think I don't have a job and a family? Though it's hard to believe I don't spend all day on these forums waiting for an opportunity to cut people down and argue with them. I'm sure we all have the mods and communities best interests at heart but I see it from a different perspective.

Now best get back on topic before they who must not be named warn us for straying too far. 

It's logical the community wants to know about the current status of the new update. The truth is that it is very hard to give you a proper answer...

Unlike other games, this mod has only 1 main developer. We are all depending on that one guy, he is very important. As expected, he has a life and career out there in the real world which reduces the amount of possible time he could invest in the development of this mod. On top of that, SCS released some "small" updates after the official release which result in the developer being required to start over. All this doesn't make it possible to have a fixed development schedule, which makes it very hard to give our community a release window/date.

Don't worry, the update will come. We only ask our community to have some more patience while our only dev is doing his best to release a version which is stable enough and contains as less bugs as possible.

Scar | Retired Legend

You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.

Banned: HELP! - Report a player - Help - Rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

I would prefer the developer to be working on the update instead of posting progress reports but that's my opinion.

I feel they have a professional chain of command which can make it look like they have a bigger team then what is most properly the case which in turn can make players feel frustrated about not having certain information at hand.

I understand that people would like more information but Its not critical information as you can still play the mod. Its not like its vital to bring the update out in order to be able to play.

On 22.9.2016 at 3:25 PM, Aragon0450 said:

For now it's just "when it's ready" because if we tell users a specific time then SCS releases an update and the mod has to be ported all over again, and not being released when it was said to be, people will get angry. 

That's not right in my opinion. You can tell a date and if SCS releases an update, you can update your time of release and tell the users that it takes longer, because of another SCS update...

14 minutes ago, valroy said:

Downgrade the goddamn game and stop crying, or play another game meanwhile or talk to your family or even go outside and know new ppl. It's not that hard.

*preparing for the sandstorm*

Thanks for that. We never thought about downgrading before. Your masterful wisdom knows no bounds. 

4 hours ago, gary87pearson said:

ts just that we have some understanding that this is done in spare time. If it was their job then yes i would expect more professionalism but its not.

Just my opinion but I completely disagree with what you say here here if you work as a volunteer in a Charity shop you are not going to not show up why is this any different lots of people do other stuff besides there jobs yes but if you agree to do something no matter what it is you should do it professionally and with professionalism unless if you don't give a toss, I also think that it takes soooooooo much time to post on a facebook page or forum to say that the mod is coming soon so the matter of seconds between its release time in my mind would not make a difference. 

Just so we are clear, I do have a life outside of been a keyboard warrior and I do this outdoors thing called mountain biking which I am very passionate about just because people are replying it doesn't mean we don't have lives. just saying

Archived