Calais Intersection Redesign

scipion34

Suggestion name: Calais South Intersection Redesign
Suggestion description: Since TruckersMP was released, Calais has borne the brunt of the traffic going along the Calais-Duisburg road along with Duisburg.
Calais has (currently) two partial cloverleafs which are frequently subject to traffic jams.

Why it should be added:
The intersection(s) are woefully inadequate, since traffic lights and hard turns are present in the said intersections.
As such, I have mostly copied an interchange based off of the real life Calais South Interchange that requires no traffic lights nor any hard turns (which are the cause of accidents that occur when people cut lanes), similar to the one in the reworked Duisburg introduced in September 2022.
The three images below have what they would look like in the map, with one being differently colored to make it easier to read. Below is also how it looks like in Google Maps.
If this is downvoted, I would like it if a new interchange leading from the Eurotunnel or somewhere around there to Calais was added, as the current one is too congested.
Example images:

calais interchange redesign standard.png

calais interchange redesign.png

image_2023-11-25_130150605-min-min.png

Edited by scipion34
Added: Suggestion; name, desc, (new) images and why.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scipion34 said:

If TruckersMP did it for Duisburg, why can't they do it for Calais? Not to mention the reworked gas stations on C-D road and of course, adding events like the recent Halloween or Real-Ops roads.

As well as the reworked interchanges along the C-D road and 'TruckersHQ' city added. 

I like the rework suggestion you posted above. 

Edit: TruckersMP -> TruckersHQ

• Upvote 1

I would just like to say, i suggested this a while back. It was my Red Light idea that made the intersection a bit more safer. No further revamps have happened since.

What you've shown is on the ProMods server. The revamp will have to be done by SCS. That being said, it's still going to be a clustertruck. As the reckless will do anything to not miss the required roads.

1 minute ago, Sunstrider said:

I would just like to say, i suggested this a while back. It was my Red Light idea that made the intersection a bit more safer. No further revamps have happened since.

What you've shown is on the ProMods server. The revamp will have to be done by SCS. That being said, it's still going to be a clustertruck. As the reckless will do anything to not miss the required roads.

I know, I even responded to it.
However, the Red Light isn't required to be followed by anybody, since anyone can turn off fines and the fact is that the hard turns will inevitably lead to lane-cutting, angry individuals and horn spam as a result of players that should be playing on Arcade instead of Sim 1.

Personally I do not agree with your statement that the revamp has to be done by SCS. As Mischievious Vixen and I pointed out, TruckersMP has already done revamps, let alone adding a whole city. They are very much capable of transforming the intersection into an interchange I have shown above. On your clustertruck point, Duisburg has a highway interchange too, and it is 10x better than the alternative that SCS had pre-September 2022.

9 hours ago, scipion34 said:

I know, I even responded to it.
However, the Red Light isn't required to be followed by anybody, since anyone can turn off fines and the fact is that the hard turns will inevitably lead to lane-cutting, angry individuals and horn spam as a result of players that should be playing on Arcade instead of Sim 1.

Personally I do not agree with your statement that the revamp has to be done by SCS. As Mischievious Vixen and I pointed out, TruckersMP has already done revamps, let alone adding a whole city. They are very much capable of transforming the intersection into an interchange I have shown above. On your clustertruck point, Duisburg has a highway interchange too, and it is 10x better than the alternative that SCS had pre-September 2022.

Which is why, the setting is bound to the server and overwrites your profile setting. I brought it up in one of my suggestions.

It wasn't a brand new city. Like when SCS added Wertle. It was a makeover because the old city wasn't working out. Problems throughout the city and taking the back road caused the city to be an NCZ. Which worked until it ended. And, it even got a new gas station asset at the time. The new revamp made it better, in some regard, while still keeping the same level of chaos. The add-on team is showing that they are doing things in small segments. Instead of big mega projects. Why would they add one gas station towards the Duisburg side, when Calais side was just as bad? Or worse, why haven't they done the same level of revamp to Calais that Duisburg has gotten? The light, getting in at the first exit, getting out, and the repair shop are all problem areas. April Fool's 2023. They revamped CD on the ProMods. No announcements or notice about the limited time event. April 2nd, they instantly undid all the changes. The intersection, as i said, is exactly how it is on ProMods Server. One of my suggestions was to use that intersection.

It's a clustertruck due to how many players will not follow the other lanes just to get onto CD Road. All 3 exits are the same level of merging madness.

As a result, SCS is the only remaining option to do the revamp. Not only is Netherlands & Belgium on the list of outdated countries they have left to revamp. But, the current intersection is using an old map asset. Which i hope they revamp Calais since they are revamping the rest of Germany's cities.

14 hours ago, Sunstrider said:

Which is why, the setting is bound to the server and overwrites your profile setting. I brought it up in one of my suggestions.

It wasn't a brand new city. Like when SCS added Wertle. It was a makeover because the old city wasn't working out. Problems throughout the city and taking the back road caused the city to be an NCZ. Which worked until it ended. And, it even got a new gas station asset at the time. The new revamp made it better, in some regard, while still keeping the same level of chaos. The add-on team is showing that they are doing things in small segments. Instead of big mega projects. Why would they add one gas station towards the Duisburg side, when Calais side was just as bad? Or worse, why haven't they done the same level of revamp to Calais that Duisburg has gotten? The light, getting in at the first exit, getting out, and the repair shop are all problem areas. April Fool's 2023. They revamped CD on the ProMods. No announcements or notice about the limited time event. April 2nd, they instantly undid all the changes. The intersection, as i said, is exactly how it is on ProMods Server. One of my suggestions was to use that intersection.

It's a clustertruck due to how many players will not follow the other lanes just to get onto CD Road. All 3 exits are the same level of merging madness.

As a result, SCS is the only remaining option to do the revamp. Not only is Netherlands & Belgium on the list of outdated countries they have left to revamp. But, the current intersection is using an old map asset. Which i hope they revamp Calais since they are revamping the rest of Germany's cities.

1. Northern France is not part of BeNeLux
2. How exactly? The two lanes which should be most popular are marked in red/pink. Players will use those lanes (obviously) just as they do in Duisburg, because the route advisor will guide them there. What's so different about Calais that SCS has to do the rework instead of TMP, despite the general Ruhr area also not having been reworked by SCS since pretty much the release. In fact, I am going to go on a limb here, and say the general south portion of Calais should be reworked to the same standard of Duisburg.

7 hours ago, blabberbeak said:

Painting road lanes in different colors will not solve any problems in traffic. 😉

On a serious note, I'd prefer SCS to revamp the BeNeLux. WIth a bit of luck, they will consider to implement a more detailed infrastructure which might include the shown intersection.

The reason they are in different colors are because I made them that way originally (I drew the intersection which is a dumb move since I could just copy from ProMods).
I don't think we can rely on SCS to rework anything for TruckersMP. They didn't rework the Ruhr, where Duisburg is, which tells me that an urgent change is needed here.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, scipion34 said:

1. Northern France is not part of BeNeLux
2. How exactly? The two lanes which should be most popular are marked in red/pink. Players will use those lanes (obviously) just as they do in Duisburg, because the route advisor will guide them there. What's so different about Calais that SCS has to do the rework instead of TMP, despite the general Ruhr area also not having been reworked by SCS since pretty much the release. In fact, I am going to go on a limb here, and say the general south portion of Calais should be reworked to the same standard of Duisburg.

1: It's not. But, it's apart of CD.

2: They will be. It's also the same suggestion i used about revamping the intersection to meet the irl map counterpart.

• Because, SCS is the only one any the realistic players can count on. If TMP really wanted to "Allocate Resources" to fixing up Calais, they would of done it by now. But, staff knows they will get backlash from "the majority" of the community that are Reckless Rats. Just look at April Fool's 2023 event. It was unannounced, removed the next day, and hated on by the majority. Calais is the only Germany city that's outdated. The current intersection is an old asset prefab.
  • The entire city of Duisburg was reworked into what we have now. Not just a portion of it. The old city still exists in the base game, if i'm not mistaken. SCS is revamping the old map piece by piece. The Add-on Team is hardly doing anything. While i'm happy for the new gas station, it hasn't solved the problems of the road itself.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:31 PM, Sunstrider said:

1: It's not. But, it's apart of CD.

2: They will be. It's also the same suggestion i used about revamping the intersection to meet the irl map counterpart.

• Because, SCS is the only one any the realistic players can count on. If TMP really wanted to "Allocate Resources" to fixing up Calais, they would of done it by now. But, staff knows they will get backlash from "the majority" of the community that are Reckless Rats. Just look at April Fool's 2023 event. It was unannounced, removed the next day, and hated on by the majority. Calais is the only Germany city that's outdated. The current intersection is an old asset prefab.
  • The entire city of Duisburg was reworked into what we have now. Not just a portion of it. The old city still exists in the base game, if i'm not mistaken. SCS is revamping the old map piece by piece. The Add-on Team is hardly doing anything. While i'm happy for the new gas station, it hasn't solved the problems of the road itself.

So we should make no suggestions at all because we know that it will be hated and TMP will do absolutely nothing about it...

3 hours ago, scipion34 said:

So we should make no suggestions at all because we know that it will be hated and TMP will do absolutely nothing about it...

You can still make suggestions. That's what this area of the forum is for. However, most of the ideas that have been posted about revamping CD and making it safer have failed to been implemented.

The reason TMP isn't doing anything as a whole is because they know that the "majority" will cause outrage and stop playing. Which is equal to very low population numbers. Something that TMP would have to undo to please the majority. Additionally, it would also lower the workload of reports to levels they haven't seen since ETS2MP (Former name of TMP).

image.png?ex=657b6815&is=6568f315&hm=e9f

This is Sim 1's Stat Tracker since day 1 showing data for every week. Around 2017 is when CD was born and grew into the popularity you see today. I don't remembered what happened in 2021 that caused the majority of the population to not play. That's basically the gist of CD Suggestions. You can make as many great ideas as you want to improve the traffic, decrease accidents, and try to make the drivers better. But the end result is that TMP staff are owned by the majority of the community.

23 hours ago, Sunstrider said:

You can still make suggestions. That's what this area of the forum is for. However, most of the ideas that have been posted about revamping CD and making it safer have failed to been implemented.

The reason TMP isn't doing anything as a whole is because they know that the "majority" will cause outrage and stop playing. Which is equal to very low population numbers. Something that TMP would have to undo to please the majority. Additionally, it would also lower the workload of reports to levels they haven't seen since ETS2MP (Former name of TMP).

image.png?ex=657b6815&is=6568f315&hm=e9f

This is Sim 1's Stat Tracker since day 1 showing data for every week. Around 2017 is when CD was born and grew into the popularity you see today. I don't remembered what happened in 2021 that caused the majority of the population to not play. That's basically the gist of CD Suggestions. You can make as many great ideas as you want to improve the traffic, decrease accidents, and try to make the drivers better. But the end result is that TMP staff are owned by the majority of the community.

You just essentially proved my point above.
I have one final counterpoint, which is to add a second interchange (I can elaborate on this). That should sit well with the community, as it doesn't infringe at all on the C-D road...

8 hours ago, scipion34 said:

You just essentially proved my point above.
I have one final counterpoint, which is to add a second interchange (I can elaborate on this). That should sit well with the community, as it doesn't infringe at all on the C-D road...

We both have similar suggestions. I submitted this June 2021. Which got rejected for being a "duplicate".

unknown.png

Another concept i came up with Sept 2022.

calais-revamp.png?ex=657bdcb1&is=656967b

And then i had this idea in Oct 2022.

unknown.png?ex=65775101&is=6564dc01&hm=4

Which was to make the port road a one way from the highway. Use the layout of the city to be the rework of the city. Have a revamped one way to and from the train. Using the western most exit as another way into the city. And a potential middle highway exit into the city. Where gas and repair are the focus.

14 hours ago, Sunstrider said:

We both have similar suggestions. I submitted this June 2021. Which got rejected for being a "duplicate".

unknown.png

Another concept i came up with Sept 2022.

calais-revamp.png?ex=657bdcb1&is=656967b

And then i had this idea in Oct 2022.

unknown.png?ex=65775101&is=6564dc01&hm=4

Which was to make the port road a one way from the highway. Use the layout of the city to be the rework of the city. Have a revamped one way to and from the train. Using the western most exit as another way into the city. And a potential middle highway exit into the city. Where gas and repair are the focus.

Last idea is nice, but it would require lots of effort, which TMP can't do after Duisburg...

• 2 weeks later...