Deactivate chat when vehicle is in motion

Interstate Nomad

Suggestion Name:

Deactivate chat when vehicle is in motion

Suggestion Description:

Chat can not be used when the user's vehicle is in motion.

Any example images:

N/A

Why it should be added:

Texting and driving is dangerous because it diverts your attention away from the road and increases the risk of accidents. 

It impairs your ability to react in a timely manner to unexpected situations on the road. Furthermore, it takes your hand(s) off the wheel and reduces control over your vehicle.

• Upvote 5

Not only it is dangerous, it's also forbidden in lots of countries. In Spain, you are not allowed to use the GPS or any other devices while driving, you are not even allowed to pick a bottle of water to take a sip. You are thirsty, you have to stop, you want to cahge your route in the navigation system, you have to stop, the cell phone rings, either you use a hands-free system or you have to stop (or ignore the call). And so on.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Not only it is dangerous, it's also forbidden in lots of countries. In Spain, you are not allowed to use the GPS or any other devices while driving, you are not even allowed to pick a bottle of water to take a sip. You are thirsty, you have to stop, you want to cahge your route in the navigation system, you have to stop, the cell phone rings, either you use a hands-free system or you have to stop (or ignore the call). And so on.

You're right and I agree. In many countries any sort of distraction from the road is forbidden by law.

But as "the majority" of users don't care about traffic regulations and laws (which they are required to follow by TruckersMP rules), I thought it would be more clever to explain and justify my suggestion with valid safety concerns. 

• Like 1

In my American State, it's illegal for the driver to be touching a cell phone while behind the wheel. The only exceptions is in a parked spaced, in a driveway while in park, and while not driving.

I fully support this. Only those with wheels can chat and drive. For others, it's impossible to steer for a turn. And, it makes it easier to "lock" the accelerator by holding chat and W.

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting suggestion however, I have a couple of concerns
1. I believe you would get more people randomly stopping in the road to then send a message
2. How would convoys/events work if you were unable to send or read convoy instructions? 
3. I feel like you would get more plonkers on the CB and although you can turn this feature off what would then be the point of multiplayer if you didn’t have a way of communicating? 

Your suggestion wasn’t clear if you would still be able to read other peoples messages while driving or Weather you would only not be able to chat, unless you were stopped. In my opinion, I personally wish they would bring back the key command to turn chat off (but keep tab open) which they changed recently. 

so, although I do like your suggestion, I’m unsure whether it would work or not. I am somebody who typically does not type when driving. Mainly because I can’t multitask. But I do understand your point about losing concentration when you are having to look at the chat or even look at the keyboard to type a message whilst driving. 

• Upvote 1

AFAIK, all trucks in both ETS2 and ATS are equipped with a CB radio. When driving with keyboard, the push-to-talk is just pushing a different key and most people have at least 8 fingers (and 2 thumbs). When driving with controller or wheel, the push-to-talk can be set to a button, using the device's software or some external apps, so no need to go for the keyboard when you want to use it. CB chaos can be avoided in convoys by switching to any channels other than 19. This is the way to communicate when one is driving, so you don't need to let go of the steering wheel or stop looking at what's ahead of your vehicle. Just my opinion, of course.

• Upvote 2

Hello @blabberbeak,

Thanks for your idea. 

I don't agree with this idea you proposed. 

The reason is because chat is a means of communication and that's not the only danger, but a person never knows what they're doing in real life at the same time they're playing the video game.

Some users may eat, drink, or look on the smartphone and you can't know it. The reasons for carelessness isn't just about when you're texting in a chat, and I think chat can also be useful when someone can't use their microphone to talk to their friends while driving. Using chat only while the vehicle is not moving is useless.

It's a good idea to use chat safely for yourself and other players, but removing the ability to write while driving is excessive and I don't agree with it. 

What's the point of chat if I only have to write when I'm standing still? 

Regards, 

ROMANISTA [ITA] 

TruckersMP Veteran Player 

• Upvote 2

1329247034_role_ReportModerator(1).png.9

I think most people know to write without looking at the keyboard which it has almost 0 impact on the player's road view.Also if you don't type but watch other's chat texts is the same thing as typing a message yourself.I agree with @djoh,I played scs's convoy mode a few times and I can say that the chat is terrible made.Having to stop to type a message is simply a bad move and will probably increase the accidents as well.

• True Story 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:40 PM, Kerwin Sweet said:

Also if you don't type but watch other's chat texts is the same thing as typing a message yourself.

I beg to differ.

Typing a message requires manual and visual attention, which can lead to distracted driving and an increased risk of accidents.

Watching other player's text messages may also distract you from the road,  but it's not the same as actively typing and interacting in the chat.

• True Story 1

1 hour ago, Big Week said:

I won't agree with your suggestion because when someone greets you, you can't respond and have to stop, which is almost more dangerous

No one would be able to greet you if they are moving. And if they are stopped, they should understand that you can't text back if you're moving. You can always flash your lights or give a short honk to greet back, no need to type anything.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

如果搬家的话没人能跟你打招呼。如果他们被阻止了,他们应该明白,如果你在移动,你不能回短信。你可以随时闪灯或发出简短的鸣笛以示问候,而不需要输入任何东西。

Fortunately, it is now possible to chat on the move and input text. I will not agree to prohibit chatting on the move

People wont stop chatting just because you disable it while they're in motion. I fear that people just slam the breakes instead and cause issues because of that. I would rather have them drive with their chat open than have them slam on the brakes on CD road just to type a 3 letter word.

• Upvote 1

- I'm not saying I'm Wonder Woman; I'm just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman in the same room together.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2023 at 7:18 PM, Cαρταιn Μιx said:

People wont stop chatting just because you disable it while they're in motion. I fear that people just slam the breakes instead and cause issues because of that. I would rather have them drive with their chat open than have them slam on the brakes on CD road just to type a 3 letter word.

The idea of this suggestion is not to stop people from chatting. It is to improve road safety by disabling the chat while the vehicle is in motion.

However, another idea is to disable the chat when the vehicle exceeds a defined speed, for example, 30 km/h.

• Like 1