Jump to content

Rework Calais Intersection


Sunstrider

Recommended Posts

image.pngSuggestion Name: Rework Calais Intersection

Suggestion Description: The way it's designed causes traffic jams into and out of Calais. The light (my suggestion) kinda helps the situation. But, a better change is needed.

Any example images: Yes. I'll be using the IRL intersection of US 78 & GA 124, a heavily traveled area.

Why should it be added?:The intersection needs a better flow.

 

image.png

This is what it looks like. West is left. 78 can be the Calais Road. 124 can be the highway.

  • (West) City of Calais.
  • (East To Paris.
  • (North) A16 to Lille.
  • (South) A16 to Train & France Tolls.

image.png

 

image.png

image.png

image.png

As you leave Calais, 2 left turning lanes go through a light and veer to the left of the road. There is also a turn lane to go South. Those going to Paris must go Straight.

 

image.png

Those coming from Paris also have 2 left lanes that veer off past the road and a turning lane to go North.

 

image.png

Those going South have turning lanes on each side. They have to wait for the green and must yield on flashing yellow.

image.png

 

image.png

Those going North can't turn. Instead, they have to use a different road.

image.png

image.png

Because it acts as an alternative.

 

Doing something similar can make this place flow with better ease.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @Somehow Lucky,

 

I would even celebrate it, but I would celebrate it even more if Calais city were to be enlarged again or like Duisburg would be awesome.

 

King regards,

Julian German RSL Human Resources/ Patron Master Trucker

  • Like 1

Kind regards,
[RSL] Julian [GER]
RSL Human Resources

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, lIIlIlllIlIlIIlIlIlIlIIl said:

i think a good idea would also be this: 

COLORS MEANING:

Blue: For the arrows, just to point out the suggested changes

Red: Road that should be added

Green: ROUNDABOUT(intersection with the circle in the road instead of traffic lights)

this should make the traffic NOT non-existent but significantly lower

Screenshot_1.png

A roundabout is a bad idea. Especially if the road has 2 exits to the same area. Most traffic will just loop it or go back to Calais/CD Road instead of proceeding onwards. Plus, i ran out of time to be able to do any editing. Plus, it's not that hard to see the top-down view i added, see the lanes, and get the general picture.

 

7 hours ago, User_4038549 said:

The city of Calais should be transformed into a collision free area, just like in Duisburg before,

Many people in the city of Calais are blocked at the entrance of the repair shop, making it difficult to get in and out

 

 

That hardly worked with old Duisburg. Sure, it made the city flow. But, the NCZ boundaries is where the chaos happened. From those being launched by someone exiting to traffic queues right before the NCZ ends.

 

7 hours ago, [S.PLH]Warrior said:

Sorry it does not make sense to put a American layout on a European road, it does not need to be so complicated.

It should be easy to understand how to go from A to B without minimum problems to get there.

 

It also doesn't make sense to put European Layouts in America. Yet, roundabouts keep expanding on our land.

Everyone knows how to go from A to B. Problem is, the traffic builds up at 2 points.

My suggestion is based off an IRL Location that has helped traffic flow better.

I can suggest Diverging Diamonds next. If you have a better idea how to improve the area and make traffic flow much better, please suggest it.

 

7 hours ago, Granite said:

Just look at Promods, very likely, SCS will change it to something similar or even better, though, who knows when.

Just be patient and eventually the whole C-D road will be thing of the past.

Patience takes time. SCS is currently busy with Switzerland & West Balkans.

image.png

While CD is dead, it won't be killed off for good. The community will find a new road to call CD.

I feel like SCS is about to do Poland soon. If not Poland, then UK as they prepare Ireland for their next paid expansion. Regardless, either place will probably go through the same stages as Germany has.

As long as no changes come, CD will stay the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

I feel like SCS is about to do Poland soon. If not Poland, then UK as they prepare Ireland for their next paid expansion. Regardless, either place will probably go through the same stages as Germany has.

A bit off topic, but I doubt it will be Poland, as larger part of it is DLC, and SCS confirmed they will first rework base map before touching any expansions. So there you still have BeNeLux, a group of relatively small countries which will be replaced one by one in major updates like Austria or upcoming Switzerkand, there's also base map parts of France and Italy, which has received only retextures and minor reskins and very few complete reworks of cities (Paris, Milano, Lyon). UK, while being part of the base map is a different story altogether, and it has to be scrapped completely, because it is made in different scale than rest of the map (ported from earlier SCS game, and some visual trick si used to make it appear smaller on the map than it actually is), so rebuilding it in stages is impossible, if they want to bring it in line with everything else. Poland and Czech republic may come in two parts, a base map and DLC part.

That said, I think BeNeLux is high candidate for being next, and that is bad news for C-D road, and while still probably a couple of years away, enjoy it while it lasts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Granite said:

A bit off topic, but I doubt it will be Poland, as larger part of it is DLC, and SCS confirmed they will first rework base map before touching any expansions. So there you still have BeNeLux, a group of relatively small countries which will be replaced one by one in major updates like Austria or upcoming Switzerkand, there's also base map parts of France and Italy, which has received only retextures and minor reskins and very few complete reworks of cities (Paris, Milano, Lyon). UK, while being part of the base map is a different story altogether, and it has to be scrapped completely, because it is made in different scale than rest of the map (ported from earlier SCS game, and some visual trick si used to make it appear smaller on the map than it actually is), so rebuilding it in stages is impossible, if they want to bring it in line with everything else. Poland and Czech republic may come in two parts, a base map and DLC part.

That said, I think BeNeLux is high candidate for being next, and that is bad news for C-D road, and while still probably a couple of years away, enjoy it while it lasts.

They only did Austria first because it's on the border of a new map expansion. I already know about the different scale in the UK. Why do you think i don't go there in its current state? Regardless, SCS is still going to do it in a couple parts. The main bit will be the highways and probably using assets from Germany for placeholder cities until they can come back to them to give them the detail that they need. I think you mean that's "good" news for CD XD. Idk if i will be enjoying it. I'm already planning to spend the entirety of October on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Escubi said:

I think that the intersection of calais need a rework, but i am not agree 100% with put american stly in a french city

Agree with whats been said here.

If the intersection needs a rework, which i think it does, then use a French / European style, for example.
(yes I am a huge fan of cities skylines and building intersections)

Partial Cloverleaf Interchange 
I know this is the style that's already in place HOWEVER, add in slip roads and remove the traffic lights.
Pros:

  • No traffic lights or roundabouts required, reducing the traffic build-up.
  • French design and fits with the surroundings.

Cons:

  • Giveway signs required for the lanes in the middle when crossing over, this could cause traffic buildup. 
    However if built in the correct orientation there will be reduced traffic in these areas as less vehicles will need to use these for the less popular route

vae2uirfolq91.jpg

 

 

Diverging Diamond Interchange

 

Pros:

  • French design but was adopted by the Americans.

Cons:

  • Really bad design
  • Requires the use of traffic lights, and will cause MORE traffic buildup
  • Just overall confusing, as traffic swaps side of the road twice!!

5e4697359c7e4.image.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, N3ON_uk said:

Agree with whats been said here.

If the intersection needs a rework, which i think it does, then use a French / European style, for example.
(yes I am a huge fan of cities skylines and building intersections)

Partial Cloverleaf Interchange 
I know this is the style that's already in place HOWEVER, add in slip roads and remove the traffic lights.
Pros:

  • No traffic lights or roundabouts required, reducing the traffic build-up.
  • French design and fits with the surroundings.

Cons:

  • Giveway signs required for the lanes in the middle when crossing over, this could cause traffic buildup. 
    However if built in the correct orientation there will be reduced traffic in these areas as less vehicles will need to use these for the less popular route

vae2uirfolq91.jpg

 

 

Diverging Diamond Interchange

 

Pros:

  • French design but was adopted by the Americans.

Cons:

  • Really bad design
  • Requires the use of traffic lights, and will cause MORE traffic buildup
  • Just overall confusing, as traffic swaps side of the road twice!!

5e4697359c7e4.image.jpg

Curious question, how many French roads have the diverging diamond?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Somehow Lucky said:

Curious question, how many French roads have the diverging diamond?


AFAIK there are 3 in France built around the 1970's, so they are a French design but then adopted by America in 2005.
Hope that helps 😄

But as I said in the post I personally wouldn't like the
diverging diamond as it will cause more hassle than its worth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, N3ON_uk said:


AFAIK there are 3 in France built around the 1970's, so they are a French design but then adopted by America in 2005.
Hope that helps 😄

But as I said in the post I personally wouldn't like the
diverging diamond as it will cause more hassle than its worth. 

It does. Until i forget it next year XD.

 

Well, nobody wants the original design i suggested. Anything is better then what it is currently.

  • HaulieLove 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Somehow Lucky said:

It does. Until i forget it next year XD.

 

Well, nobody wants the original design i suggested. Anything is better then what it is currently.

ahah, its ok xD

I just think with what's currently there, the problem is the traffic lights, so if replacing the intersection with more traffic lights will cause the same problems.
Just a thought 😄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, N3ON_uk said:

ahah, its ok xD

I just think with what's currently there, the problem is the traffic lights, so if replacing the intersection with more traffic lights will cause the same problems.
Just a thought 😄

 

It was even worse without the lights. I suggested the lights and it got added. If i'd known it would of been added, i would of upped the suggestion to something better XD.

 

Honestly, CD should be a toll road with multiple toll booths XD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My idea for the Calais Intersection would be a "normal" 4 way highway cross like the ones which got redesigned by SCS in the latest game updates. The remodeling of Duisburg went very good. The traffic thers is now much better than it was before. So it would be cool (if TMP staff isn't alreday working on it) to remodel the city of Calais aswell like Duisburg with one way entry and exit and bigger roads in the city itself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2023 at 8:28 PM, N3ON_uk said:

Agree with whats been said here.

If the intersection needs a rework, which i think it does, then use a French / European style, for example.
(yes I am a huge fan of cities skylines and building intersections)

Partial Cloverleaf Interchange 
I know this is the style that's already in place HOWEVER, add in slip roads and remove the traffic lights.
Pros:

  • No traffic lights or roundabouts required, reducing the traffic build-up.
  • French design and fits with the surroundings.

Cons:

  • Giveway signs required for the lanes in the middle when crossing over, this could cause traffic buildup. 
    However if built in the correct orientation there will be reduced traffic in these areas as less vehicles will need to use these for the less popular route

vae2uirfolq91.jpg

 

 

Diverging Diamond Interchange

 

Pros:

  • French design but was adopted by the Americans.

Cons:

  • Really bad design
  • Requires the use of traffic lights, and will cause MORE traffic buildup
  • Just overall confusing, as traffic swaps side of the road twice!!

5e4697359c7e4.image.jpg

I love that the first intersection is do it in cities skylines 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Why not just use the interchange that's used in real life for Calais? There's plenty of space around it and for anyone getting in, and no traffic lights are needed. Highway interchanges are also used in Duisburg, which from my experience improved the experience drastically back when I was playing in 2019.
 

image_2023-11-25_130150605-min.png

Probably no one will take this response seriously, but oh well...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2023 at 7:14 PM, Sunstrider said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

As you leave Calais, 2 left turning lanes go through a light and veer to the left of the road. There is also a turn lane to go South. Those going to Paris must go Straight.

 

image.png

Those coming from Paris also have 2 left lanes that veer off past the road and a turning lane to go North.

 

image.png

Those going South have turning lanes on each side. They have to wait for the green and must yield on flashing yellow.

image.png

 

image.png

Those going North can't turn. Instead, they have to use a different road.

image.png

 

 

How do these photos of American road traffic relate to Europe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.