Should Truck Speed Limits be Enforced on EU#1?

Inthernet

Should Truck Speed Limits be enforced on EU#1?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Truck Speed Limits be enforced on EU#1?

• Yes
    • No

One of my other topics has put an interesting player demographic into the spotlight.  The ultimate simulation drivers who scorn upon anyone driving above the speed limit so let's get their voices heard.  Should truck speed limits be enforced on EU#1?  Should people be allowed to record a video of others going above the limit, and should bans be handed out as a result?  This would further enhance RootKiller's original vision of a simulation as the police in real life would do the same thing.

E.g. People can go on the Calais to Osnabruck rural road, doing exactly the speed limit which is 60km/h most of the way.  They can record everyone that overtakes and put them into a compilation video.  Afterwards, they will mass-report, much in the same style as the 22 user report.

I can't really give a direct answer, beacuse if you actually play the game for a bit you will soon learn that the problem isn't with the actual speeding, but with the sudden loss of momentum when you crash. Basically,a strict speed limit keeps the trolls and people who can't drive very well at bay for the most, preventing them from causing significant damage to the gameplay. Removing the limiter though, you are likely to see more crashes, people breaking traffic laws, or blatant trolling. Is that part of the game? Arguably, yes. But the reason why ETS2 MP is so civilized is mostly because you simply cannot not be civilized in such large, slow moving vehicles. However, removing the speed limiter allows for a very interesting dynamic, which is -- well, some people are in more hurry than others, correct? This would make the long, monotoneous highway segments somewhat more interesting, for example. 

I think meeting halfway is the ideal solution. 90 km/h is definitely borderline too slow, because the truck physics undergo such a significant change above 100-110 km/h that it's a shame that it's something that can't be experienced in MP. Also interesting to note, that even carrying a heavy load, most trucks can easily go up to 90km/h without much trouble, but if they were unlimited, the variation between top speeds would be much larger, which would again, add a cool dynamic. But allowing going too fast would likely cause more trouble than worth. 

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible idea.

Some roads are enforced at 37mph for a truck in Europe, and if I have to do 37mph around Euro Truck Simulator 2, I'll go make a traffic simulator to keep me at a damn slow speed.

Yes, there is realism, but trying to enforce people to go 37mph along a road just isn't ever going to happen....

275116735_role_GameModerationManager(2).

Reporting a Player    |    Appeal your Ban    |    Visit our Support System    |    Our Rules

Good post by Datlinus and interesting thread topic.

I've seen very few drivers who keep to all the speed limits everywhere - the game doesn't make it particularly easy either with a lack of warnings of approaching reductions and the visibility of speed signs being less than in real life. I tried a few times but it was tough, and using a game controller or even worse a keyboard makes it incredibly difficult to stick to the lower speeds without having to use cruise control all the time.

Possibly the advocates for the 90 limit are not using the best argument by saying that they want speed realism, as speed realism would involve obeying the other limits too as in real life. I think really they are saying that a top limit ought to be imposed as in real life but other lower speeds are not so important.

Compromise being a game is that players want to be able to make good progress but without getting disrupted all the time in doing that by certain minority who want to cause problems.

Anywway I voted 'No'. :)

God no. Being forced to use the SL is bad enough, I can see why it's in but it's an annoyance on the highways which are completely dull. I'm already limited to 56MPH on the highways, I don't need it to be limited to 50 because a small minority want it to be more realistic. For other roads and cities it isn't so bad because you usually end up at the SL when you get to the corners anyway.

Maybe if it was enforced in cities and only in cities then I'd agree, but everywhere? Nope.

If you want to go the speed limit then be my guest, there's nothing stopping you, but I don't believe everyone should be forced to.

Good post by Datlinus and interesting thread topic.

I've seen very few drivers who keep to all the speed limits everywhere - the game doesn't make it particularly easy either with a lack of warnings of approaching reductions and the visibility of speed signs being less than in real life. I tried a few times but it was tough, and using a game controller or even worse a keyboard makes it incredibly difficult to stick to the lower speeds without having to use cruise control all the time.

Possibly the advocates for the 90 limit are not using the best argument by saying that they want speed realism, as speed realism would involve obeying the other limits too as in real life. I think really they are saying that a top limit ought to be imposed as in real life but other lower speeds are not so important.

Compromise being a game is that players want to be able to make good progress but without getting disrupted all the time in doing that by certain minority who want to cause problems.

Anywway I voted 'No'. :)

Only talking about me: I DO follow the truck speed limits I see on my trip advisor's GPS. It's the way I enjoy the game, tried going top speed (SL server) wherever I saw it safe, but to me, it felt more boring. By sticking to the limits, I have to pay more attention to the signals, slow down, throttle... Just my opinion and my way of playing the game. It also helps the so many times requested "interaction", as by going slower than most, I see a lot of people overtaking me  :)

However, I don't support this idea. It'd make the game unplayable for a lot of people. Unless it was implemented in some "Ultra-realistic-server"

Drive however you please. If you want to be the one that thinks the whole map is Silverstone or the Nürburgring, then go ahead. But once you crash into me, I'll have my recording software set to record the last couple of minutes of gameplay, and you'll find your name under the reporting section of this forum. Hopefully the rest of the community can say the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Matt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived