CD Road: Gas Station Rework

Suggestion Name: CD Road: Gas Station Rework

Suggestion Description: A concept i made for CD Road that should deal with the gas stations.

Example Images: 

image.png

Why It Should Be Added: The gas station along this road is causing bumper to bumper traffic. Those turning left into it have just as much trouble as those getting out. The resulting cluster causes bottlenecks in both directions.

The idea is simple

1. Gas & Resting are now 2 different areas.
  2. CD Road has a divider. Leaving and Joining are around the same point.
  3. The path in has a left-right split. One path goes to Gas. The other to Resting.
  4. Upon entering the designed area, it splits off into what it needs. Then, the path out will start once done with what you came for.
    For example, entering Gas will show a row of pumps. Each line represents a pump of each side of it. Entering Resting will show a row of spaces to pull into. After which, you'll follow the path out.
  5. There is no looping paths or connections to both services. This is to keep traffic flowing and not circulate it in the same area. You'll have to decide what you need more. Personally, i recommend getting gas at one end of CD. At the second one, rest up.
  6. Finally, the exit path will approach CD with a split in each respective direction of travel.
  7. The concept should be long enough to handle any queues.

Why is this needed?

• It was designed by SCS for Single Player. The small scale can handle you getting gas, resting up, and leaving to be on your way.
  • Using the same gas station on a high population server always leads to:
    > Queues going out into the road as both pumps are in use and has a line of a couple of trucks/cars behind them.
    > Those turning left, into it, not only has to wait for oncoming traffic to stop for a gap, or clear for a moment.
    > Those leaving left has to wait for someone turning in to block the lane, someone being nice enough to leave a gap, or has to endure waiting as the exit and entrance knots itself.
  • The aforementioned issues cause traffic to pile up on both sides. I sure love going <10 KMH.
  • Using this idea will keep traffic flowing. I suspect, rejoining CD will be a bottleneck. Only other idea i have is to use the construction zone temporary lights to alternate the traffic.

Are there other solutions? Nope. Stops Signs, Stop Lights, adding a Roundabout won't fix the traffic issues. Some, will make it worse. Bigger gas station and rest area? Still going to be the same problem as it is currently.

• Upvote 2

nice concept mate. I can't understand why it has not been reworked yet, it's been an issue for years tbh. Im sure the dev's are conscious of it. Shouldn't it just take some time and a little effort or is it much complicated? Asking out of curiosity, sorry if I sound ignorant I don't mean it 🙂

@Granite attitude is one thing but that area is just too much populated during peak time, it's a problem in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

But the people who usually are in that chaos do it willingly, they go there precisely because of it, the chaos, the crowd, the jams, the "funny moments". It was even mentioned in the "Back to basics" blog that it's one of the things that the majority of the players want. Why change it? If all of the "problems" in the C-D area were solved, it would most likely get deserted pretty soon and those players who currently are most of the time there would simply move and find another spot to turn into the "new chaos area". That's my opinion, at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

If all of the "problems" in the C-D area were solved, it would most likely get deserted pretty soon and those players who currently are most of the time there would simply move and find another spot to turn into the "new chaos area".

I don't think there is actually that organized or coherent community anymore to be spontaneously capable of that. It would just cause an uproar, demanding to revert changes, like with April 1st changes, which I think actually was partially a joke and little test on part of TMP at the same time.

• Upvote 1

I applaud your work you put into this suggestion.

But, as mentioned by @Granite and @FernandoCR [ESP], players experience and behavior will dictate its success or failure.

Your suggestion contains some areas that could turn into potential problem-creators. in particular areas where players have to either enter a lane or change lanes.

In my draft below, I've marked the potential risk areas with a red circle.

88q9sbB.png

• Upvote 4

On 4/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, blabberbeak said:

I applaud your work you put into this suggestion.

But, as mentioned by @Granite and @FernandoCR [ESP], players experience and behavior will dictate its success or failure.

Your suggestion contains some areas that could turn into potential problem-creators. in particular areas where players have to either enter a lane or change lanes.

88q9sbB.png

You're right, but it's better than the current CD Gas Station. I think they or the player that mentioned this suggestion himself can remake it a little bit so it'll be more safe.

I still think it's a great idea and it'll add more varietry into the CD road.

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:31 AM, Granite said:

Oh, another one that revolves around the idea "I can't slow down, give way or, god forbid, stop!"

No matter what you come up with, it will not change much without people changing their attitude. 

Nice bobsled track and MSpaint skills by the way.

At least i have a concept that is trying to improve the situation for the area. Are you more talented and can make satellite maps without creating the area in game? No? Then appreciate the quality.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:56 AM, blabberbeak said:

88q9sbB.png

There's always going to be problem areas. Even if the whole zone was an NCZ, it would just make the exit a problem spot. Also, the areas at the bottom don't have roads going around it. It goes through them.

• 6 months later...

Hello @Sunstrider,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Updating the gas stations on Calais - Duisburg route is already on our to-do list. However, the updated versions won't be as complicated as described in your example.

Nevertheless, I am going to go ahead and still accept this suggestion.

Sincerely,

Leon Baker

Community Manager

// Accepted