Honking (as Greeting), Appropriate or Not?

Denos

So I wanted to hear your opinion. Do you think it is appropriate to honk at other drivers as greeting? I used to do that as I saw nothing wrong with it. I have heard both sides.

-Some say they like the honks as a friendly greeting.

-Some say the honking could distract them and make them think they did something wrong. (especially when the honk lasts more than 3 sec)

-Some say to flash lights (imo that could be more distracting)

What I do now is not honk but gladly honk back when someone honks at me. I think it is a great way just to say hi.

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll very randomly honk at someone first, most of the time it's in response to someone honking towards me. But when someone honks in what seems to an angrily fashion and holds their horn or anything like that I end up checking all my mirrors as a reflex action as I think I've done something wrong, despite being a clean driver.

In regards to flashing lights I would normally do that over the horn, but the catch with that is depending on the colour of a truck if it's pure white I don't really notice the lights during the day. Why people don't flash their lights when there's still a fair distance between another person but yet do it when they're literally in front of you I don't understand because by the time most people flash their lights they've already passed the front of my cab before I flash my own lights in response.

nz3d07.jpg

I'll very randomly honk at someone first, most of the time it's in response to someone honking towards me. But when someone honks in what seems to an angrily fashion and holds their horn or anything like that I end up checking all my mirrors as a reflex action as I think I've done something wrong, despite being a clean driver.

In regards to flashing lights I would normally do that over the horn, but the catch with that is depending on the colour of a truck if it's pure white I don't really notice the lights during the day. Why people don't flash their lights when there's still a fair distance between another person but yet do it when they're literally in front of you I don't understand because by the time most people flash their lights they've already passed the front of my cab before I flash my own lights in response.

I can see why flashing lights is preferable, I guess either way is appropriate as long as you don't over due it 

Anything longer than 3 seconds is just overkill..

Yea, mine usually lasts 1-2 secs

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

Anything longer than 3 seconds is just overkill..

I can't remember the name for which air horn it is but it's either thunder or tone, it sounds like 2 short blasts. Whatever the name of it is, it's probably the best one as it's the shortest air horn that I've came across in ETS2, plus it actually sounds like a greeting.

nz3d07.jpg

I use 2 short for a greeting reply or for a a polite hello i am here please dont run into me 

and I hit both horn and airhorn for a few secs meaning "what are you doing you muppet"

I have the air horn, I can't remember the name of it, that I mentioned in my previous post. I'd use the air horn for when I'm pissed off with someone but none of them can be held in long enough for my tastes, so for that I use the regular horn and use the air horn for greeting.

nz3d07.jpg

As of now im going to stop my honking addiction as a greeting for others because of the distraction it might cause, If and when i do so and an accident is happening because of the honk, i will personally drive my truck straight into a wall. 

i usualy horn back unless im multitasking or something.basicly if i can i will honk back with airhorn but sometimes i just have too focus on the road and dont right away find my button :P

Thanks for all the replies. My conclusion is really it is personal choice. Whether you honk, flash lights, or nothing. As long as you do them appropriately (not spamming horn or lights for long duration) I see both methods as acceptable. I probably will stick to just honking back.

kvt_truckdriver_bar.png

I used to honk, but not so much anymore. Personally I find it distracting sometimes like Bl4cK mentioned, I find it distracting especially on night drives (they have a big toll on me, I actually feel tired doing them especially when raining and the wipers are on (so soothing)) so when I hear it I literally jump and grab the controls, not a good thing on country roads :P

Kalido.jpg

I shouldn't allow myself to get to that state anyway you wouldn't drive when feeling tired in real life so why do it in-game, same with distractions although really they are hard to avoid.

It's illegal to drive a truck tired, unless I'm mistaking it for something else.

This is why I tend to use the light horn but because I use the high beams, I've actually mapped the high beams on my wheel instead of the actual light horn which I used to have mapped on the same button. So when I see someone I just tap the high beams on and off then back on until they've past. Usually if I see someone coming down a country road I turn the high beams off until they pass then I put them back on. The majority respond with a horn so I tend to use the horn more when greeting, there are some who actually use the lights though thankfully.

nz3d07.jpg

Archived