new TAB: Change ping to distance

S2020

Scoreboard, which options to have?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Scoreboard, which options to have?

• Just Ping is enough
    • Just Distance is enough
    • Best to have both again in its glory

Suggestion Name: Scoreboard Tab, Distance is important, Ping not so much...

Suggestion Description: Change scoreboard tab column to distance if there is not much space to add distance

Any example images: Nope.

Why should it be added?: Distance are used more to calculate everything between players to check after overtake or to check your friends. Either add this back or change ping to distance

Thank you

• Upvote 1

"Trucking is like love... Only newbies go fast and end up early

"

Sorry but I really care about ping, as it´s one of the main reason some truck can lag and get from 90km/h into 0 on instance or even go backwards ( :wacko:) at any moment. I usually watch it to take care (more at least) about distances or leave a bit more of these.

I hope we can get that distance valor back anyway in somewhere.

Good trucking!

lkRjRkb.png

I disagree with you OP, Ping is important as it allows you to judge if a person is going to be lagging or not. You see those people who have their trucks pinging up and down on the roads, with the ping counter it shows you that they could do that if their ping is high.

Sorry, it seems you really cared about ping for catching speedhackers, I thought of it more about sane driving limits itself and convoy distances.

Also not to mention hard to see names when names are like [TUR][AVENGERS OF THE DEATH] Name etc. which is cut down due to space and even you enlarge that screen, the main window is not getting bigger to see names.  (Name completely made up) 

"

I prefer ping. If you care that much about distance, download the ets2map radar from ets2map.com/radar then go to ets2map.com and click on your ID and it will auto follow when it goes green (this is a little buggy and the developer of ets2map knows about it and is working on fixing it) personally the only reason I would want distance is reports but I don't do videology reports often.

Overall, ping is more important to me so I know if someone is lagging bad or not.

sig_crazyforiphone.jpg

Maybe add distance and keep the ping? I use the ping to see if anybody potentially dangerous comes racing round the corner so that I can take  "evasive maneuvers".  :D The distance one I would have little use for..

Timmy.png

I think the "Ping" is much better to have on the scoreboard. The ping is helping players then they want to overtake on the highway and can see if the person is lagging. But the developers can maybe make the scoreboard a little bit bigger so they can add the Distance to the scoreboard. 

I'm thinking the distance calculation added to the lag...   think about it..   around europort it has to calculate a never ending supply of trucks near you and your just 1 truck.. now picture it calculating for 70-80 trucks also...

but that's just my 2 cents 

P.S
I havent been through EP during since the distance thing has been removed but is it any better lag wise? but it's seems logical to me...

Why not do something like this, replace the pings value with the distance and use a graph bar for the pings, don't need an exact value, we just need an estimate. 

ev6x74.jpg

Picture courtesy of USTA :)

I imagine a ping between 100-200 = Green, 200-400 = Yellow and 400 and over = RED [stay away :) ]

I really like this

Why not do something like this, replace the pings value with the distance and use a graph bar for the pings, don't need an exact value, we just need an estimate.

ev6x74.jpg

Picture courtesy of USTA :)

I imagine a ping between 0-200 = Green, 200-400 = Yellow and 400 and over = RED [stay away :) ]

I like but I think it should be how far you are from someone.

sig_crazyforiphone.jpg

To be honest I rather see just the ping and not the distance. Distance is also kinda cheating, because at turns you can tell beforehand whether you have to stop or not. Now you actually need to slow down or even stop to see if someone is coming, which is better. But that's just my opinion. And I also don't get why it would make overtaking easier/harder. Just look if the person in front of you (and behind you) is far enough, and then you can just start to overtake. It's really not that hard.

(And @AI Bundy you might be right, I did notice a FPS increase mostly around Rotterdam since this version). 

• Upvote 1

Overtaking by "ping" is brang up by others not me...

Overtaking by distance on the other hand by me, because I care about "safety distance" than a distance a simple jump could hit you. Please tell that to other 2000+ playing how to overtake again...

"

but why do you need distance?if you overtake you need to judge yourself if your past it or not i think.

afterall its a simulator like everyone claims.if you want a simulator then there is no room for aids that arent in real trucks in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I use my mirrors when overtakeing, but because there is constant dsync going on you need extra distance to counter the dsync which has been specified in the rules. To do that you need the distance to be shown in the scoreboard.

Overtaking

(Author: VavelOnline)

This is a very simple howto guide on how to overtake (and be overtaken) properly.

The first thing you should be aware of is DESYNC. Basically, what you see on your screen is not always what the other players are seeing. This might cause (unintentional) ramming in many situations. To counter that effect, here's some practical information that you should always follow.

When overtaking

- Start your overtaking maneuver when you are at least 60m from the truck in front of you (you can always check the distances using the <TAB> key).
- Stay in line
- When you checked that the other driver is 100m behind you, you can start foldind back.
- Alternatively, if you see the other driver turn its lights on, or hear him honk 2 short times, it means that you can fold back safely from his point of view, even if you're not 100m ahead. In that case, it's nice to thank him using the left-right-left-right blinker signal. Note that high beams would normally be used IRL, but cannot be seen for now in the MP game.

When being overtaken

- Stay in line
- If you're riding at 90 km/h, it is nice to speed down a little so the other driver has a chance to overtake you.
- When there's enough distance between you and the overtaker (60m should be enough), turn your lights on (or honk 2 short times if it's night time and your lights are already turned on) to signal that he can fold back safely.

Source: http://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/15-in-game-rules-updated-09-01-2015/

Regards
Prime
Service & Data Analyst

I'm saying have the average ping number and the distance as a graph not am exact number.

Ping does not need to be a precise number, it is an average anyway, the distance has to be very close though. 

For pings you only need to know if it's green, yellow or red. When you see you are getting closer in meters to another truck and you see yellow or red, that tells you to be more careful, especially if it's red. You don't need a number. 

If distance was an issue with lag why not update it less frequently, instead of real time, how about every .2 or .5 millisecond or maybe even every second, should be enough.