Reaper42

18 speed or 13 speed?

The 18 speed has 5 additional lower gears (below ~30-40 MPH) and longer final ratio, if you play with a sequential manual a 13 speed is more practical vs an 18 for going through gears while an 18 has additional engine control at lower speeds, suitable for heavy cargo in hilly areas.  The 10 speed (non-allison,) although more useful for basic long range hauling, has a short final ratio, esp outside California.

All depends on the loads I like to haul, and or if I'm convoying with other players.  When convoying I usually run a 13 speed for the faster acceleration. For hauling weight I always use the Eaton 18.
The Eaton 18 is also really fun to shift when your running a simu-shifter.

I ran with both before. Personally, I prefer the 18 speed to haul loads with, especially when climbing hills with a heavy load. I’d use whichever you like more and recommend trying them both out by hauling some loads.

I use an H-shifter, so this works well for me. 

I tend to use 18-speed transmissions.  However, most of the time, I treat it like a 13-speed transmission.  I only actually split-shift the lower range when vehicle weight and road grades require it.

This strategy may not work as well for players that use sequential shifting, however...