Graphics card upgrade help

Darth Wazawai

So... Ive been debaiting about this for a while...

I like Nvidia but... with the newest GPU's out and GTX is still absurdly expensive im going to go give ATI a shot...

My question is should i go with the R9 270 or the R9 270x?

Company will be Club3D No questions... i saw a 260x but the price and performance would push me to buy the 750 ti...

Both cards are 175-200 CAD both are in stock in local stores 

http://www.hwcompare.com/16552/radeon-r9-270-vs-radeon-r9-270x/

My question is, is it worth the extra $25 for laziness and no need to OC it?

I currently own a 640 a 210 and used to have a 6400 or something around that age... all great cards and the 210 works even tho the fan is dead :D

I'll permit fanboyism in this topic because i want to see some goodies ;)

Just to make my self clear, i dont like ATI AMD im just buying them because they have the performance of the GTX 760 for the price of the 750... Oh that link to shadowplays look alike for ATI would be great :P

Edit: while a war breaks out i'll be watching this:

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

You can safe your money and buy R9 270. After overclocking you will have performance of 270X.

Personally I recommend NVIDIA. :D

I like Nvidia but... with the newest GPU's out and GTX is still absurdly expensive

You're right. Last time new GPU called "GTX 970" is shit and unprofitable - I can't understand people, who bought this GPU. It has inflated VRAM and many problems with drivers.

NVIDIA was expensive since... unknown times. In point of fact - ever.

R5 5600X + AiO ML240L // Asus ROG Strix B450-F // G.SKILL Trident Z 2x16GB 3733 Mhz CL16 // MSI GTX 1080 Armor @2000/5200 Mhz  // Corsair RM650x

this way you wouldnt need to upgrade the next 5-10 years i guess.

Bullshit.

If you wan't to be on the top with GPUs, you would have to changes your PC every 2-3 years. 

For example my GTX 770 will have problem with ultra settings in Witcher 3, where this GPU was relased in 2013. 

R5 5600X + AiO ML240L // Asus ROG Strix B450-F // G.SKILL Trident Z 2x16GB 3733 Mhz CL16 // MSI GTX 1080 Armor @2000/5200 Mhz  // Corsair RM650x

why not a r9 280 or so? get the best of the best.. this way you wouldnt need to upgrade the next 5-10 years i guess.

With that logic buying the 280 would be useless as the 290's out :P My 640 is about 2 years old and i paid $100 for it at the time on sale. It struggles to keep ets2mp at 30fps at times recording...

My budget is $200 so even if i wanted a power wasting gpu for little increase i couldnt :P

The one huge thing Nvidia seems to have over ATI is power requirements... ATI seems to be doubling Nvidia is something like 20-40% each major introduction...

I'm not worried about power requirements i built this PC to last till 2018-2020 (5-7 years) next to GPU and HDD's. It harbors a 600W OCZ PSU in it :)

SUS0M9O.gif

just to be a pain in the ass - a gf gtx 660 outdo the ati 260x, aswell as the gf gtx 750 ti.. so why the 750 ti as comparison? :P

And why I permitted fanboyism

You brought up a good point. The 660 gives the 980 a rub for it's money unless you're going to play on a jumbotron XD

Nvidia loves calling powerful outdated cards "new"...

Sadly the 660 is actually more expensive than the 270 but one and it's out...

Edit: if I could I'd buy the 7950 because the power for price beats all lol

SUS0M9O.gif

just to be a pain in the ass - a gf gtx 660 outdo the ati 260x, aswell as the gf gtx 750 ti.. so why the 750 ti as comparison? :P

Oh, but it's about the 270 here. :)  The 270 marginally beats out the GTX660.

So does AMD! :D The R9 270 is basically a 7870 on steroids!  The 280/280X are 7950/7970 on steroids.  To be fair, my GTX770 is a 680 on steroids.  To be even more fair, Nvidia has taken the very unusual step of basing the 960 on the new architecture, instead of rehasing a 780 non-ti.  Let's hope AMD brings out something good for the R9 3xx.

And why I permitted fanboyism

You brought up a good point. The 660 gives the 980 a rub for it's money unless you're going to play on a jumbotron XD

Sadly the 660 is actually more expensive than the 270 but one and it's out...

Edit: if I could I'd buy the 7950 because the power for price beats all lol

yeah, fair enough :P gave'em some looks, and spec/price-wise, the 260x and 750 ti is pretty much on par :)

Oh, but it's about the 270 here. :)  The 270 marginally beats out the GTX660.

So does AMD! :D The R9 270 is basically a 7870 on steroids!  The 280/280X are 7950/7970 on steroids.  To be fair, my GTX770 is a 680 on steroids.  To be even more fair, Nvidia has taken the very unusual step of basing the 960 on the new architecture, instead of rehasing a 780 non-ti.  Let's hope AMD brings out something good for the R9 3xx.

i think it should be pretty obvious already, that i was on about the 260x, and the comparison to the 750 ti, aswell as why to buy it - which are still part of the original post  :rolleyes:

76561198006173090.png

Simulator games non-stop!

lol got the 270, it works but my fps still drop like a rock O.o wtf

Any ideas and how the hell do i work catalyst? Esp game optimization...

I checked ebay and wow maybe next time ill buy from them :D

Well if i have any hopes on using my 640 as a slave gpu of any sort i should not update my graphics drivers :D (they are 320 so they are old XD)

http://www.vrworld.com/2014/07/31/nvidia-disables-gpu-physx-2nd-non-nv-gpu-installed/

SUS0M9O.gif

i'd only recommend sli or crossfire within the same gpu's, and only when they are highend

getting drivers sorted out would be quite recommendable :)

oh yeah, a last thing - what does your motherboard say?

pci slots drops from x16 to x8 with 2 gpus right? that's just a performance disaster waiting to happen :P

and i suppose i could go on and on about how 1.15 equals 32bit systems supported only, still - and how that affect max physical memory being limited..

that, and the synch with other players in mp, but that goes beyond the boundaries of only gfx performance  :rolleyes:

76561198006173090.png

Simulator games non-stop!

• 3 weeks later...

Yea i have to say the 270 is actually a great card, tho it can get noisy with the Jazzycat traffic mod when they decide to f-up and cause a huge traffic jam :D

Most GPUs today don't require the full speed of the PCIe bus anyways

Here's a video by Linus on how much 8x vs. 16x impacts performance in SLI:

2 things i would like to make mention.

1 is Watch Dogs :D the FPS dropped with quad SLI which brings me to the second

2 multi GPU's actually make you waste more money than the performance you gain. I thought they would of fixed that but obviously not... IMO if anyone has the urge i only suggest dual regardless of CPU (That i did not know about actually)

Oh i have been having a issue with GPU drivers.... I believe it is atikmdag.sys 

I'll try this guide next weekend or something because im too lazy/tired to do it now

http://windows7themes.net/en-us/fix-atikmpag-sys-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-errors-bsod/

I have my 640 installed and want to see if i can use it for physx but the person who was making the ability to do so dropped off the earth... if i can do it with the updated ati drivers than i'll proceed. if not i'll take it out to save power.

SUS0M9O.gif

• 3 months later...

Archived