Overtakes on continuous line on ATS MP

carlsagan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

feel free to pass but make sure you set your player render distance up high and if someones coming the other way its your job to move out of their way not the other way around

I`m the guys that is almost always on traffic limit, so I barely make overtakes in the game.

Just my 2 cents into the conversation. From experience (admittedly, I am Canadian, but travel frequently into the US where I assume it would be similar) the letter of the law here states that yellow lines are suggestions, whites are requirements. I assume this at least mostly rings true in our southern neighbor as well. What that means is someone from the Ministry/Department of Transportation has assessed the road and deemed it one of 3 basic things (in my own words):

1 - solid yellow / double yellow - Passing NOT recommended due to either hills, corners or intersections

2 - dotted line / double dotted - Passing allowed when safe to do so

3 - one solid, one dotted line together - Only the side with the DOTTED line may initiate a pass. Often used in situations like down hills where only the traffic passing down the slope can see clearly to pass. A vehicle travelling up will not know what is beyond the hill or if it is safe.

Unfortunately, the game seems to favour solid yellows in most places, but I think if someone does a correct and safe pass in an appropriate area, the lines should remain a suggestion and not a "rule."

hHG9121.png

Yes, this is the rule in every place in the world when we have two lines to separate diferente ways traffic.

But since Nevada have huge longe roads without the broken lines that allow overtakes, I was curious about how admins manage this situation.

I think it's very fair since looks like there's a mistake on SCS Map.

But like I say, i'm the only who is overtake, not who overtake people (really hard since almost everyone is in the same speed or others are faster than me), since I have fun on ATS just driving safely and respecting the traffic rules.

"Trucks don't hit trucks, Truckers hit trucks". By me

im not 100% sure, but i think ive heard you may go to jail for crossing the double yellow lines - even more if the cop stoping you is the angry/hard type.

i want to drive it as real as possible, so i dont like to be overtaken when it is not allowed in reallife.. its breaking my immersion. :)

also i many times was thinking about doing only 55 in nv too. its just saver on the 2 lane with the curves.

sysp-73354.png

im not 100% sure, but i think ive heard you may go to jail for crossing the double yellow lines - even more if the cop stoping you is the angry/hard type.

i want to drive it as real as possible, so i dont like to be overtaken when it is not allowed in reallife.. its breaking my immersion. :)

also i many times was thinking about doing only 55 in nv too. its just saver on the 2 lane with the curves.

Yeah lol, I really know that feeling. I almost have a cancer when someone overtakes me on these roads when I'm not that slow (55mph isn't slow I supposed). But I understand why is allowed on MP as well. The continuous line is too long. SCS should fix ASAP because probably this not reflect the real roads on USA.

But on cities should be not allowed by admins. There's no excuse for overtakes someone in city if the guy is not stopped. I have see a lot of crashes because of this and it's not safe at all. But I don't know if I could report this.

What we should have in mind that no ones need to be like us, maybe their fun it's make delivery as soon as possible. There's no problem even if I don't think like they. The problem is the lack of respect. Only this, not the different opinions or desires.

I've had to hit my brakes to let the player overtaking to merge and avoid an accident, several times. Some other times, even after I started slowing down, the player decided it was safer to go left, out of the road, just to crash or flip the trailer. And then there's the players that don't respect any speed limits, so I may be driving 40 mph, someone is coming from behind, faster. The speed limit changes to 70, so I start accelerating, the player behind keeps approaching... And starts the maneuver to overtake... Man, I'm going 60-65 mph, you don't have the speed to overtake... Can't you see that?

Of course, all of this was playing in EU#1, but I think that in EU#2 it will be even more difficult, as players there are those who like to drive full speed.

That's actually what you're supposed to do. In the US, you're supposed to slow down so the person passing can safely pass in a timely manner.

k05nwJ7.jpg

That's actually what you're supposed to do. In the US, you're supposed to slow down so the person passing can safely pass in a timely manner.

I don't think you're right. I don't live in USA, but have absolutely no sense have to brake to people overtakes you. Could be even more dangerous.

Yes, you should not accelerate, this is the recommendation, but brake? No, it really could even increase a accident probability.

I stopped slowing down or moving out of the way for these people and started reporting instead.

Here's an example of one that got banned.

You can report him, please, the community really need this. Let`s help admin to ban all stupid drivers on MP. You only need to find their trucker ID (just look for the name on truckersMP site) and remember the server and approximate hour that incident occurs.

When I see a stupid like this, I just make like you. Give him space to be stupid alone. But sadly in this case had another truck incoming... Report him, it`s important for community!

Yeah lol, I really know that feeling. I almost have a cancer when someone overtakes me on these roads when I'm not that slow (55mph isn't slow I supposed). But I understand why is allowed on MP as well. The continuous line is too long. SCS should fix ASAP because probably this not reflect the real roads on USA.

But on cities should be not allowed by admins. There's no excuse for overtakes someone in city if the guy is not stopped. I have see a lot of crashes because of this and it's not safe at all. But I don't know if I could report this.

What we should have in mind that no ones need to be like us, maybe their fun it's make delivery as soon as possible. There's no problem even if I don't think like they. The problem is the lack of respect. Only this, not the different opinions or desires.

ive seen pictures and looked on google maps.. scs did the double yellows 100% right.. thay are really that long ;)

sysp-73354.png

The correct procedure when being overtaken is this: 

Make it easy for the other person to overtake you, and leave space in front of you in case the overtaking vehicle needs to pull back into the line of traffic.

Make it easy might mean to leave space or even slow down a little if they have miscalculated their maneuver. 

Make it easy for the other person to overtake you, and leave space in front of you in case the overtaking vehicle needs to pull back into the line of traffic.

Make it easy might mean to leave space or even slow down a little if they have miscalculated their maneuver.

You slow down with someone behind you and they slam into you irl or in game you're at fault, if the overtaker wishes to risk a ban for a improper procedure (aka not judging traffic right esp knowing on coming is likely or is there) that's their choice.

I will never overtake unless absolutely have too.

I will never speed up unless under acceleration already to get up to speed

I will never slow down.

I will never care about a overtaker who does not care about nothing but themselves, which is usually the case for bad overtaking...

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

problem is, most guys see that youre trying to pass them so they either swerve to try and run you off the road or drop a gear and speed up leaving you in oncoming with no where to go except head of the dirt when someones coming at you, I don't personally overtake people unless theyre going super slow on a fast stretch of road, or if the road is straight and clear enough for me to see the full distance ahead of me, but I also hate people who pass you then immediately cut back over in front of you forcing you to slam the brakes on to avoid running into them, people just need to give space and time and remember that with lag etc you can be static in front of someone which can cause accidents left, right and centre if youre not careful.

Furthermore, new drivers don't seem to understand how off ramps work at all, we had a guy yesterday outside san Diego who was in the outside lane as if he was going straight on, the guy in front of me was going straight with me on the inside lane, the guy on the outside suddenly cut across in front of us and slammed on his breaks to make the exit forcing both of us to take to the hillside in order to avoid a massive wreck, people need to learn atm.

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, a bad judgement call while playing multiplayer is a bannable offense? That seems like a really great way to build a community in a video game.

"I see no trucks coming and I can definitely pass this guy"

"whoops, I really messed that up"

*BAN*

It's great that you all want to play the game as realistic as possble..but damn, I hope I never make a bad decision in this game. Cause as we all know, nobody ever makes a bad decision in real life, so why should they make one in a video game as well?

Who said your not allowed to a mistake, there is a difference between an honest mistake and a flagrant negligence or reckless move, not always easy to spot but it's possible. 

If you attempt an overtake and suddenly someone is coming in the opposite direction, you have some options, brake and try to renter your spot or move to avoid by going on the hard shoulder if there is one, so many people just decide to ram head on, this is when it's no longer a mistake.

If the overtake did not succeed but the reaction of the player was good, I'd never ban for that.

But please note that I'm talking about an overtake on a straight line, a guy overtaking in a completely blind curve, then that's a whole different thing, this is not an honest mistake, that's reckless driving.

I hope you don`t do this IRL, you could potentially put peoples life in danger. In game, meh! what ever floats your boat.

Actually I'm not the one putting others lives in danger now am I? If I'm accelerating the person planning on overtaking should give me a chance to get to my cruising speed. I'll do my part by moving into the curb if oncoming is there but that's mostly for survival reasons than being nice.

But yea bad judgment is ok as long as you avoid a accident (been involved in these a few times in both mp's), but don't expect me to help you too much beyond to ensure my safety.

Oh I do tend to let off the gas in-game a tad during said time not to assist, but you have better steering w/o power :D

Signature removed by a wondering ghost

SUS0M9O.gif

Actually I'm not the one putting others lives in danger now am I? If I'm accelerating the person planning on overtaking should give me a chance to get to my cruising speed. I'll do my part by moving into the curb if oncoming is there but that's mostly for survival reasons than being nice.

But yea bad judgment is ok as long as you avoid a accident (been involved in these a few times in both mp's), but don't expect me to help you too much beyond to ensure my safety.

Oh I do tend to let off the gas in-game a tad during said time not to assist, but you have better steering w/o power :D

I just hope my bad judgement never leads me to having an accident

problem is, most guys see that youre trying to pass them so they either swerve to try and run you off the road or drop a gear and speed up leaving you in oncoming with no where to go except head of the dirt when someones coming at you, I don't personally overtake people unless theyre going super slow on a fast stretch of road, or if the road is straight and clear enough for me to see the full distance ahead of me, but I also hate people who pass you then immediately cut back over in front of you forcing you to slam the brakes on to avoid running into them, people just need to give space and time and remember that with lag etc you can be static in front of someone which can cause accidents left, right and centre if youre not careful.

Furthermore, new drivers don't seem to understand how off ramps work at all, we had a guy yesterday outside san Diego who was in the outside lane as if he was going straight on, the guy in front of me was going straight with me on the inside lane, the guy on the outside suddenly cut across in front of us and slammed on his breaks to make the exit forcing both of us to take to the hillside in order to avoid a massive wreck, people need to learn atm.

Well, if the guy have this type of behavior, accelerating instead make easy, act like it was real go back to behind of him. There's no reason to drive unsafely because peolple drive like idiots. You should always do the right thing.

Ok so let's mess up everyones logic here.

Keyboard users: It is a million times easier to drive with a keyboard on this game compared to 18 WoS Haulin (if anyone ever played that era of SCS games here) where you would hit the A or D key and your truck would try and roll over cause your steering angle tries to go full left/right ect. Now its smooth and gradual, you can even steer with your mouse if you want to. You have driving aids like the gearbox retarder where it will brake for you and slow you down if you go X mph faster than what your cruise control is set to. So theres not really an excuse for 'bad' driving and going flat out everywhere just by saying "I'm using a keyboard, I can't help it."

Steering wheels: If any steering wheel user has bought the W900 (what a silly question) you may have noticed that there isn't a display for what gear you have selected. Now if you're going full tryhard like myself you will have an Eaton Fuller gear pattern with advanced gearing you will know the struggle. When you come up to a junction and everyone is driving like idiots, you gotta accomodate for other idiots going up and down the road at 68 in a 55 (if you play EU1 that is) so if you want to turn onto a single track road going into Nevada for example. You gotta wait for all the impatient people who speed up to close the gap on you pulling onto the road, wait for a few people to turn coming the other way. Then when you finally get going and a truck is right up your ringpiece giving the horn what for (I muted that straight away) and flashing cause you cant remember what gear you're in, what split your in, or worst case scenario what range your box is in then it can get pretty annoying when you have people who want to be Ricky Bobby in a semi-truck.

here here buddy, driving with full realism mode with a G27 can be stressful with the new W900, having to remember how many times you press the range button and the high/low button (although with a 625 engine in the W900 theres hardly need for low anymore) so its difficult enough with a wheel and as Hammy said, if you ever played the older SCS creations with a keyboard or even a wheel for that matter, ATS is absolutely a piece of cake in comparison.

Also to the guys who don't know this, if you drive H shift manual and are whining about having to keep using the clutch, you can float gears in ATS (as long as you can revmatch well that is) I do it in the W900 and it saves my left foot after a while having to keep hitting the clutch the entire time.

ive seen pictures and looked on google maps.. scs did the double yellows 100% right.. thay are really that long ;)

Actually their not coming from someone that actually lives in California and drives all over the state and Nevada as well. The double yellow solid lines are only in specific areas, when you get out into the country side you see mainly single yellow dotted lines with at times turning to solid double yellow.  

I myself believe these solid lines should be single dotted lines. I rarely pass people myself. I usually just slow down, because there is always that unlucky chance you get that moron who doesn't care and will do anything he can to pass both of you.

The only time I report is when you can see the person clearly doesn't care about road rules, and is super impatient. Or if done in a city

Which brings up something that happened yesterday, and I'm curious if I handled the situation properly. I was on one of these long Nevada roads going the speed limit which was 70 when I saw in my rear view the guy behind me jump out into the next lane and attempted to overtake me. So I was trying to be nice especially since a T intersection was coming up, and the road I was on had to either go left or right, so I slowed down to let him get in front quickly. Then all of a sudden right after he passed me another guy behind me jumped out. So already slower then usual and knowing it would take a while to regain speed, plus the intersection coming up, I slowed even more for this 2nd guy. By this time we're almost at the intersection so I'm braking hard, and I see this second guy (still on the wrong side of the road) completely disregard the spot I made for him behind the 1st guy who passed me, plus the intersection, and tried overtaking the first guy who was already making a turn. I wasn't really mad at this point just "smhing". He ended up having to completely stop with half off and half on the opposite side of the road. I then typed the message " Patience is a virtue". Which this 2nd guy replies "I have no patience". I then reply "Then don't play this game. He then insulted me with language I don't use myself so I won't write it. I end up writing one more message, then decide to report for insulting and "other" for not following rules of road. I wasn't able to do this until about 5 minutes later when I caught up to him in a town. I also ended up crashing while reporting and had to F7 enter to the town I had to deliver to. Where this guy also ended up having to deliver to exact same depot, and while I was waiting my turn ran full speed into the back of my trailer.  

Was it too late for me to report him for doing this. By the way I was using in game report system. Thanks for reading this long story, and replying if I reported too long after incident.  

Not sure how the ingame reports function, dont think they are for "late" reports. The admins jump over to the reported scene and will check for themself(thats what i think). You should report such reckless people here: http://truckersmp.com/en_US/reports. You should have some evidence like a video or screens(video is better tho).

Better let something run in the background which saves the last seconds/minutes if you press a button. There are several tools which can do that. Shadowplay(nVidia), the Raptr client and MSI Afterburner have this function. Not sure about others, OBS maybe?

XFire client could do that too but i think they killed it? Not sure.

Archived