mods in ETSMP2!

User_406377

I have to say, it's a big bummer that the devs are so uninterested in mods for ets2/atsmp. It's such a big part of the trucking sim games, but for some reason it should never be done, discussed, or even thought about when it comes to multiplayer. 

I stopped playing ETS2MP, I found the original map boring and promods did a great job on making a much more interesting map. I'm not bothered they didn't add this mod to ETS2MP, seems like a big challenge. But right now I also refuse to play ATSMP, my main reason being the lack of even simple sound mods. I dislike the original engine sound, and having a simple sound mod for it greatly improves immersion for me. How come even such simple mods should not be spoken about????

How come there is so little done with modding, in an ETS2/ATS community that lives around modding? Even this multiplayer is a mod by the community, for the community..

I mean, nothing gets discussed out in the open about it, it's all rejected suggestion topics, and that's it, and the occasional saying that it's causing unstability. I don't think it would hurt if a proper topic would be written about it, giving an explanation as to how even the most simplest mods are not being considered of being added to the multiplayer.

Oh, and that supported mods topic^^ I don't like, I'm not Turkish, or whatever that language may be. This only once more proofs how little interest there is in mod support.

The problem with mods is that if a mod were to be deployed (eg. The winter mod) then it'd either have to be universal (People with/without said mod) or everyone would have to have it, and the pleasure of a modding community is that you can choose whether to have the mod, or not.

The current scenario is that you can use any allowed mod found here: https://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/6812-allowed-mods/or find a mod that doesn't affect the map, or anything that affects any other users gameplay or breaks the MP rules.

Just to let you know, disallowed mods can lead to punishment (As in the game rules):

Hacking/Speedhacking/Bug abusing - First time: 1 month ban / Second time: 3 month ban / Third time: Permanent ban Updated

Using artificial tools to change gameplay, using cheat engine in order to bypass the speeding limiter or anything similar.

Unsupported Mods - Permanent Ban

Using unsupported mods that cause game crashes.

External mods are not being supported due to various reasons, I'll explain 3 of them here.

Incompability

Not all mods are being upgraded to the latest versions and not all modders upgrade them shortly after releases of new versions which means we should wait for modders to upgrade their work before we can release our patches. It can be acceptable if we support 1 or 2 mods, but what if we are going to support 30+ mods? We can wait for ages for all of them being upgraded.

Distribution

Mods can be cool, but they have sizes. Everyone should have all the mods in order to work, otherwise some people's game would just crash due to not being able to find modfiles. Not all modders like to change their way of distribution, which is understandable. Are you willing to download 5gb+ just of mods in order to be able to play? I'm not.

Can you add my mod?

Where does it end? If we add mod x and mod y, people will spam us about adding their mod.

Scar | Retired Legend

You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.

Banned: HELP! - Report a player - Help - Rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

Ok, so the problem is that the only way to have mods in MP, is to add them to the installation file. And mods have to be updated each time a patch comes out, or a modders makes changes. Ok.

Just a thought I had, wouldn't it be possible to make certain types of mods supported? Like engine sound mods. Right now the only way of having game changing mods is to supply them with the installation file of MP. But I assume with engine sound mods, some certain files will be changed, files that will always be the same throughout one single patch. And by that I mean the sound files, for example the engine sound of the Peterbilt 579. I see two important folders, the "def" folder and the "sound" folder. The sound folder holds all the .ogg files, sound files, and the def folder holds the code for which sound files to play at certain moments. And I assume these two folder will always be used, whichever sound mod you are going to use.

So wouldn't it be possible to create some kind of application that you supply with a set of rules so only files in these two folders can be changed? So the user would input the .scs mod file into the application, and the application will then, if all files are correct, input the mod into the game as is done with the winter mod? And maybe add some rules so only certain file types with certain filenames are allowed, so only sound mods that otherwise leave gameplay unaffected can be used. And add to the rules all locations which gameplay un-affecting mods use, like texture mods and sound mods, to the rule list and let everyone input their own mods.

The only things I can imagine holding back the developers from implementing such an idea, is that modding sound/texture files affect the servers in some way. And ofcourse hacking. Hackers using the application to start using other types of mods that aren't allowed. 

I'm not experienced with modding, multiplayer stuff, and all that, so maybe it's a terrible idea, but I'm curious :D. It seems to me that if the wintermod is possible, then all mods should in theory be possible. But as I said, maybe having adjusted sound/texture files affects servers in some way.

And about people crashing their own games causing lots of complaints. I'd imagine a sub forum could be created that is dedicated to mods, a forum where all problems get discussed, and the unstable mods get separated from the stable ones. But all just a thought, though a very nice thought, mods in multiplayer :D

You people really need to understand that no means no. No amount of arguing is going to change the valid reasons for wich mods are not supported in MP.

Move on.

I wish you good luck giving a big finger to the modding community. I wish you all good luck with that. So it's either, accept ETS2MP, or accept SP with mods. Nice thing. A game that lives thanks to modding, but when multiplayer comes around the corner all mods are thrown out of the window, unless you don't play it.  :D  :D  :D

I suppose this topic can be binned now, mods is something that is not possible to be discussed. Simple answers are given as to why no mods, and any counterarguments are being conquered with: "there are good arguments as to why no mods, now accept it and move on. NO MEANS NO:excl::excl::excl:".

The reason mods aren't allowed is because everything has to either be universal (People with/without said mod) or everyone must have it. And the thing about mods is that you can stop using it whenever (eg. Don't want MP, switch to SP). So there's no point in even trying to ask.

By the way, you could use google translate to translate the mod website.

This is just dumb..one link isn't even in english (who knows what I'm downloading?) and the other really has no mods to see..wtf?

I thought the same thing. A bit odd they couldn't simply do a list of supported mods without links to non-English sites.

You people really need to understand that no means no. No amount of arguing is going to change the valid reasons for wich mods are not supported in MP.

Move on.

this is why you(the ones who make topics with mod requests) don't use search and see why mods won't be in mp(there are some mods for mp but you're to lazy to search)

on the front page of the forum should be a big banner 600x600 that says: don't request mods for mp, use search to see why.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived