Keep Distance!

RayRay5

Hello fellow truckers!

Today again I have noticed a lot of drivers not keeping distance when driving behind others. The result is either an accident or a ruined delivery.

But I keep distance. A total of (25/30/40) meters

(25/30/40) meters is not a appropriate distance! The usual length of a European Truck with trailer is between 18 and 19 meters. And the distance shown on your tab is the distance to the semi of the other trucker. So you have somwhat around (6/11/21) meters of distance. Totally inacceptable!

How much distance should I keep instead?

Driving with trucks you should keep a distance of at least [value of your speed in km/h] in meters.

Due to desync and ping a bigger distance is recommended.

Are there exceptions?

No. Always. Keep. Distance.

Overtaking is not driving behind others. When overtaking, you should maintain enough speed and create enough distance after overtaking and merging back in and be ready to expect the unexpected.

I feel like this had to be said.

Best Regards

Your IGA RayRay5

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

Yes i've noticed this as well, i've already had 1 load wiped out because someone is driving on top of me instead of overtaking if necessary. I've also noticed trucks in front of me sometimes freeze then jump forward so i've kept quite enough distance, I hate it when people freeze though. The worst part is when people are blocking the road when they are overturned or just decided to stop for no reason, i've told many of them to call services to move out of the way but some take no notice and it's impossible to report everyone, it would take up to much time there is that many people  :lol:

The three second rule is a pretty good rule. But considering ping and 20 ton trailers I'd say 3 seconds ain't enough. Maybe 4?

If you don't know what the 3 second rule is, it is when you shouldn't be in the same spot as the person in front of you until after 3 seconds of time has passed. So if someone is passing a road light you should be passing it only after 3 seconds. It gives you time to both react and brake your truck.

This is a common problem, and as Rick said, especially in Convoys. Just one lag spike from the player in front of you is all it takes to damage there load, and cause damage to you, or fellow truckers behind. I'm glad this issue was raised on the forums, as is it a more increasing problem.

High End Transport, Driver | WoTRDB, Support and Translator | Freelance Virtual Photographer                                          

KVVcvfk.jpg

Excellence In Motion

I totally agree with keeping distance but it also works both ways.

Quite a few times now when im overtaking someone, they will intentionally edge into my lane.You can tell the difference from someone who doesn't mean to do it as they will correct themselves fairly quickly.

I mean come on you can only squeeze so much untill your up against the crash barrier.

As im fairly new and not alot of money to spend on truck repair after truck repair i will normally ease off and slow down to avoid whats obviously going to happen but i wont always be strapped for cash.

Usually you should keep a distance depending on your speed. The minimum distance between each vehicle should depend on various things: condition of the road, condition of the vehicle, weather, how loaded the vehicle is and then the most important thing, the speed.

The minimum distance between each vehicle should be the same distance you travel in 1 second (average time of reaction).

So if you're going 85Km/h, there's an approximative calculation you can do to find the correct distance.

(speed/10)*3

So in my example it'd be (85/10)*3 = 25.5 meters

If it was 110, it would be (110/10)*3 = 33 meters

This is just how road rules are, talking realistically, but you have to consider the desync also.

Just yesterday, some moron who thought it was GTA5 was right up behind me for about 10 minutes. As it was near Rotterdam, I often had to slow down to avoid people, stop at lights etc. Due to being in cabin view and having sound off, it wasn't until I checked my damage I realised they had given me 43% trailer damage. A long run wasted. People really need to learn to stay back.

I thought this was NASCAR  :(

Seems like a lot of people do lol. In a convoy I was in, some guy decided to try and overtake 25 trucks in a row on a very narrow road. It really didn't end well...

Usually you should keep a distance depending on your speed. The minimum distance between each vehicle should depend on various things: condition of the road, condition of the vehicle, weather, how loaded the vehicle is and then the most important thing, the speed.

The minimum distance between each vehicle should be the same distance you travel in 1 second (average time of reaction).

So if you're going 85Km/h, there's an approximative calculation you can do to find the correct distance.

(speed/10)*3

This is just how road rules are, talking realistically, but you have to consider the desync also.

I learned when taking my bike license that one second ain't nearly enough. You'll have time to react but not much more. A few seconds on the other hand, three minimum, is always what my teacher said.

(speed/10)*3

This is only about the reaction time, so I explain more about this distance :

1 second is the average reaction time. It's depending on YOUR condition (tired, alcohol, drugs...) !

At 90km/h, the distance covered in 1 second is 25m !

90/3600=0.025

Explanation : [km/h] / [1h=3600s] = [km]

Change km to m : 0.025*1000=25

In the game, the "center" of the player is approximatively the center of the truck (the cabin), not the center of the entire articulated vehicle.

So you have to add to the reaction distance to the length of the other player's trailer, which is approximatively 14m

-> 25m + 14 m = 39m

For information, the French Traffic Laws say that you have to keep the distance of 2 articulated vehicles.

So, 39*2= 78

It's a minimum value, and it's without calculating the braking distance (depending to : the weather, the road, the vehicle, the weight...) !

You can see the distance between me and the "center point" of the player in front of me : 18m !

-> 25m + 18m = 43m

Distance *2 = 86m !

All these distances are the minimum !

post-5889-0-57802400-1452105263_thumb.jp

I hope this is understandable ! :D

Legend :

- km/h : Kilometers per Hour

- m : Meters

- h : Hour

In Italy it's one second. Because average reaction time for a normal person (not under drugs, alcool, stress, etc.) is in fact one second, I'm not talking about "special" situations, but everyday conditions.

@Kaytho

The calculus I talked about, is something that they teach us simply to know the approximative distance to keep depending on your speed.
Sometimes during theory tests there may be some questions related to what I wrote before, it's obvious that in an official test you can't use your calculator to convert km/h in m/s, so we can use this formula that gives an approximative result.
In Italy there aren't specific minimum distance between vehicles, so each driver must be able to evaluate correctly which distance to keep considering all the things I said before (and in my previous post). The only situations where there's a forced minimum distance is when there's this sign (100 meters between vehicles that weight more than 3.5t)

s60.gif

This:

0057.jpg

And when there's a snowplough at work, minimum 20 meters. Keep in mind that even if most European traffic laws are more or less the same, there may be some variations, keep this in mind.

Ive seen this and experienced this first hand a lot in the last week alone, guys who either get too close behind (under 100M) or pass and cut in front of me (even though I haven't signalled to them to move over and they are normally no more than 40M away from me when they cut in).

I generally try to keep at least 110M distance between me and the truck in front at speed especially, if were going slow I tend to get a little closer but I don't get close enough that I cant react if they stop or lag out, I wish people would learn to keep a safe margin between themselves and the other vehicle, sure as hell would reduce a lot of accidents and reports that's for sure.

It is unfortunately something that will never change, you will always have people driving within close proximity of each other, it is one of those things that you will never be able to change no matter how many times you tell people. 

I personally keep at least 100 - 150 meters from the person in front unless i plan to overtake which i will do so with awareness of my fellow drivers

Archived