Money4Customization = Free2Play Philosophy

Gorkal1ty

You CAN NOT gain money over a commercial product that does not belong you ... 

MP can only gain money by donating and can not give extra privilages in game for donating...

That's how legal it gets...

1. Lots of mods for competition simulators like rFactor, Assetto Corsa, etc. are paid mods, and legal.

2. Why not give priviledges for donating? I mean, WITHOUT giving any gameplay advance (more speed, strenght, better trucks, etc.)

lkRjRkb.png

Useless and stupid idea. If you want better servers etc. just donate to developers. I don't want things to pay in a free mod and things that I could get for free in SP anyway. And even if it's optional, I find it stupid anyway.

Thanks for your respect, now watch out how huge ammount of Free2Play games like War Thunder or others have been developed, and take a look in MP mod in a couple of years. We will see what happens without any income for nothing.

lkRjRkb.png

Who want to forbid paid mods? Thats a pretty dumb question. If I made a game that supports paid mods i'd take at least 30% from your profit and if you have any copyright issues then thats your problem not mine.

I ment forbid, not take an % of money from them, thats all about "negotiating". Im starting to get tired of so much insults.

• Upvote 1

lkRjRkb.png

Some of you people seriously need to educate yourselves before you speak. :rolleyes:

I actually like the idea, but only if its not made mandatory, and If it's optional. Meaning (You can request custom skins and an additional installer could be made available for those who want to see the different skins/mods. It would be installed seperate from the main MP installer.) but I think it would be better for MP devs to port the game to a newer engine and use different skins. Thus making the mod their own game. Afterall, porting the game would mean manual migration to a new engine, thus further making the code new, and their own. They're already half way there! (That's just IMO.)

Secondly, coming from someone with 8 years study experience in contract law, please stop talking out of your ass about eulas and everything else. Those circumstances are widely disputible should they ever reach a court-room hearing. Which is highly unlikely... SCS would loose so much money if the MP crew packed up tomorrow and quit. Lets face facts, ETS2 is nothing without MP, and its in SCS best interest to currently work with the devs of this mod. Nobody can deny gamers are buying this simulator specificially for multiplayer entertainment. :)

Thirdly, as a programmer, mod/game dev (not for ets). Skins are not required by servers, and they are only required by the clients. If the server is configured to show custom skins, and knows how to parse the information of different skins, then the client will interperate which skin the user will see based on the skins installed by the user of the client. If the user does not have the skin, he/she will see the skin as a default type for the template it represents. Atleast, thats how I've always made custom skins work on games I've worked with. If the ETSMP server works, differently, then the devs nees to change how that works on their client/servers.  ;)

At least now I can learn from a reply, thank you. I feel completely agree with your facts about SCS and MP, and I do realize now about the skin or accesories not being seen by others who dont have them.

That wouldnt be working till the server-side database could handle who can or cant use the skins so all the users will have them "installed" but just "not activated" for them to use. If not all the users could see them, then the "Premium" experience would loose much sense, thats why I think it should come all together.

Anyway, I know in iRacing you can just use default skins and you can also use a different software (TradingPaints) to manage custom skins so you can decide if you wanna load your own and download other´s skins or not. I think thats quite the same as you explained.

lkRjRkb.png

Just ignore the bratty kids Gorkal1ty and go past them, if their posts are one liners or bs with nothing positive to offer, then report that post for what it is and let the mods handle it. Keep in mind, its not the server that should be determining the skins seen by other users, that should be done by the client. Happy trucking, and keep the positive suggestions coming in. :)

• Upvote 1

Aireviel.jpg

Retired ets2mp trucker, cya all elsewhere. B)

• ~~~~~ TripLogger assistant developer. ~~~~~

• ~~~~~ Follow me on TwitchTV ~~~~~

• ~~~~~ Add me on Steam ~~~~~

• ~~~~~ Don't report players, you will be banned for it. ;) ~~~~~

• ~~~~~ Be Chill, life is only a game ~~~~~

• ~~~~~ Aireviel ~~~~~

Some of you people seriously need to educate yourselves before you speak. :rolleyes:

I actually like the idea, but only if its not made mandatory, and If it's optional. Meaning (You can request custom skins and an additional installer could be made available for those who want to see the different skins/mods. It would be installed seperate from the main MP installer.) but I think it would be better for MP devs to port the game to a newer engine and use different skins. Thus making the mod their own game. Afterall, porting the game would mean manual migration to a new engine, thus further making the code new, and their own. They're already half way there! (That's just IMO.)

Secondly, coming from someone with 8 years study experience in contract law, please stop talking out of your ass about eulas and everything else. Those circumstances are widely disputible should they ever reach a court-room hearing. Which is highly unlikely... SCS would loose so much money if the MP crew packed up tomorrow and quit. Lets face facts, ETS2 is nothing without MP, and its in SCS best interest to currently work with the devs of this mod. Nobody can deny gamers are buying this simulator specificially for multiplayer entertainment. :)

Thirdly, as a programmer, mod/game dev (not for ets). Skins are not required by servers, and they are only required by the clients. If the server is configured to show custom skins, and knows how to parse the information of different skins, then the client will interperate which skin the user will see based on the skins installed by the user of the client. If the user does not have the skin, he/she will see the skin as a default type for the template it represents. Atleast, thats how I've always made custom skins work on games I've worked with. If the ETSMP server works, differently, then the devs need to change how that works on their client/servers.  ;)

8 years of experience in law? Pic or lie. Programmer? Pic or lie. Oh btw im the president of the united states. ETS 2 nothing without MP? Hahaha made my day. Stop defending his idea. 1. Its against the EULA. period. 2. Its a stupid idea, because the guys who developed the multiplayer would shift the focus on customization and not the actual game (Why keep developing the mod when we can add customizations and earn money). Oh and we totally need microtransactions in a mod. AAA games have microtransactions even though they shouldn't. If I pay 60€ for a game I don'T want content locked behind a paywall. If you want to spend money donate it to the devteam.

i7 3770k @4.0Ghz, R9 280X Dual-X, 8GB Kingston Hyper X, Cooler Master SilentPro, G27, Track IRv5

8 years of experience in law? Pic or lie. Programmer? Pic or lie. Oh btw im the president of the united states. ETS 2 nothing without MP? Hahaha made my day. Stop defending his idea. 1. Its against the EULA. period. 2. Its a stupid idea, because the guys who developed the multiplayer would shift the focus on customization and not the actual game (Why keep developing the mod when we can add customizations and earn money). Oh and we totally need microtransactions in a mod. AAA games have microtransactions even though they shouldn't. If I pay 60€ for a game I don'T want content locked behind a paywall. If you want to spend money donate it to the devteam.

Ow gahwd, you seem to know what you´re talking about... 

I don´t get this, it´s a great way to show if wou´re a supporter. It´s not about just donate, i bought a WWF cap, did i do it to spend money? No, i did do it because i want to help. Then the cap is to show i´m a supporter.

• Upvote 1

EDIT\\  I've changed what I initially said because I don't want to fuel this discussion anymore. I think the idea isn't great and that microtransactions have nothing to do in mods or triple-a games. (Its also illegal because of SCS's EULA) Most ppl reject that idea too.

Have a nice day!

i7 3770k @4.0Ghz, R9 280X Dual-X, 8GB Kingston Hyper X, Cooler Master SilentPro, G27, Track IRv5

1. Do you think ETS2 sales would be the way there are without MP?

2. Stupid idea? Thanks again for your respect. You should be banned just for such stupid comments.

3. AAA games have microtransactions cause they wouldnt mantain their devs work without them.

4. If you pay 60€ (Have you paid that for ETS2? LOL) your money goes for SCS, nothing to do with MP team.

5. Have you ever donate? Im starting to doubt it.

lkRjRkb.png

That is true. We do not own the right of the games. So in another way we can not make money with the game it self. The only legal way to earn money is with ads and donation.

Thanks for the answer. Im aware now of ETS2 EULA stuff and I do understand. Then about the ads... I think maybe we should work on them. Could you modify the game (trailer-skins) in order to include those ads in the trailers? It could add realism and at the same time income from those publishers. I know it´s earning money from modded game too... but you´re not asking users for it. It´s publishing.

lkRjRkb.png

I would be a better idea if it worked like kickstarter. We start donating money and lets say every 20€ we get more stuff. 

For example:

20€ = More accessories and lights.
40€ = More rims and wheels
60€ = Interior customization
80€ = Custom skins
100€ = VTC Skins + Trailer
120€ = Modded Trucks/Trailers etc.
140€ = Custom maps.
200€ =  VTC HQ on your chosen location
Etc.

What do you think? 

Though I like the idea of helping the devs out, I don't think micro transactions are the way to go.

And as for the EULA, just read it and follow it. By playing the game, you are agreeing to it's terms and conditions. If you don't agree with a point made in the EULA, then this isn't the game for you.

If the EULA says "No paid mods", unless you want your a*se to be sued off, don't offer things to be paid for. Donations are fine, but no making money off of the mod.

Trust me. You're better off just accepting donations. The cost the court will say will most of the time far outweigh the amount of money you gained with the micro transactions.

I know this is off topic but y u no use edit -_- instead of posting 4 separate posts after each other

8fa51dbb1e1906ee08a659826e21c39d.png

You´re right, I had not too much time and I was answering while reading posts lol : )

Though I like the idea of helping the devs out, I don't think micro transactions are the way to go.

And as for the EULA, just read it and follow it. By playing the game, you are agreeing to it's terms and conditions. If you don't agree with a point made in the EULA, then this isn't the game for you.

If the EULA says "No paid mods", unless you want your a*se to be sued off, don't offer things to be paid for. Donations are fine, but no making money off of the mod.

Trust me. You're better off just accepting donations. The cost the court will say will most of the time far outweigh the amount of money you gained with the micro transactions.

It´s ok, then let´s try to find another ways to implement them better and soon. Some ads were mentioned and I asked what about introducing real brands into trucks/trailers skins or companies, publicity charts over the roads, etc etc... That is, stuff with those ads  to earn money from without disturbing too much gameplay. I even think those could add realism into the game.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

lkRjRkb.png

Only some rich moron would pay that much for all of that stuff!

Also, with the "we cannot sell because we don't have rights" thing, then how do GTA San Andreas Multiplayer servers have premium stuff and donations to use certain in-game items like the Infernus or Cheetah or to have a private house?

You don'T know how kickstarter works...

It´s ok, then let´s try to find another ways to implement them better and soon. Some ads were mentioned and I asked what about introducing real brands into trucks/trailers skins or companies, publicity charts over the roads, etc etc... That is, stuff with those ads  to earn money from without disturbing too much gameplay. I even think those could add realism into the game.

What do you think?

As long as it's not intrusive ads, like banner ads that take up 99.9% of the screen, I'm fine with it.

Also, I don't want to look at ads while playing. I think they'd be better suited on the login screen somewhere.

• 2 years later...

TruckersMP is not going to add any third party mods anytime soon because it would require an additional download, thus making the total file size bigger which leads to longer download times. In addition, those modifications always need to be supported by the latest version of the game which cannot be taken for granted when using external mods that have not been created by TruckersMP. Lastly, making the multiplayer paid might speed up certain things, however, also contributes to huge disadvantages amongst the community which we want to prevent.

Rejected.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.