Auto-punish for wrong way driving

Bеаn

Suggestion Name: Automatically issue punishments for people who are detected to be driving the incorrect way. 
Suggestion Description: This has been suggested previously, but my suggestion is slightly different. For an offense to have been committed, multiple factors must be determinable. Key among these factors is whether a player is merely overtaking or driving on the incorrect side of the road. To achieve this, I'd suggest limiting this system to cities (like Dover) and to motorways with and without a central reservation. This could also apply to dual carriageways or any road with a central reservation. Possible punishments include, but are not limited to: TPR, TPRK, kick.

continuation of suggestion description
Additionally, a key factor is whether the player has traffic offenses enabled or not. To combat this, there would have to be a way to ensure that the "wrong way" traffic event is permanently enabled. This falls in line with numerous suggestions to enforce all traffic offenses.

Any example images: No. 
Why it should be added: If the system can detect a wrong-way driver before they hit someone, it'll reduce the number of people being rammed. Most incidents of this, from my experience, result in a kick unless a collision occurs. So, issuing a TPRK or kick wouldn't be any different from an admin doing it.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Sunstrider said:

Only way i can see this happening is by adding an automatic script to light poles, certain signs, and lights. It checks the travel lane direction and which way the player is facing. This can allow coverage of the whole road without the need to make "checks" and place them around manually.

In my mind, it'd work by checking for "wrong way" traffic offence events, and then resolving the player's current position relative to known roads. The game already knows if you're in a city, as it adjusts the speed limit - so setting it for cites won't be a problem.  

2 hours ago, Bеаn said:

In my mind, it'd work by checking for "wrong way" traffic offence events, and then resolving the player's current position relative to known roads. The game already knows if you're in a city, as it adjusts the speed limit - so setting it for cites won't be a problem.  

The offense only really works if you're seen by a cop. However, i've seen wrong way's outside of cities. My take on it would be more practical and less time consuming. Allowing wrong way drivers to be caught easier then in a city.

• 1 month later...

The first steps after the detection of a wrong way driver must be to eliminate the threat as fast as possible.

1. Put the vehicle in non-collision mode.
  2. Make the vehicle flashing, indicating that the vehicle has been detected and is in a non-collision state.
  3. Slow the vehicle down to a full stop.
  4. Only offer the options
    a) to F7 teleport to the next service station or
    b) log out.

It is a radical way, but it would lead to a fast and safe termination of a highly dangerous situation.

• Upvote 1

The problem is what is classed as inappropriate overtaking? TMP moderators have literally said you can overtake as many trucks as you want. As long as there is no oncoming traffic, but in my opinion, this is basically driving the wrong way.. They need to tighten the rules regarding overtaking, which would then mean less people would be driving the wrong way! 

On 12/9/2023 at 3:34 AM, MartinV90 said:

The problem is what is classed as inappropriate overtaking? TMP moderators have literally said you can overtake as many trucks as you want. As long as there is no oncoming traffic, but in my opinion, this is basically driving the wrong way.. They need to tighten the rules regarding overtaking, which would then mean less people would be driving the wrong way! 

If there's no-one oncoming, they pose no threat. They may well be on the incorrect side of the road, but this is necessary to complete the overtake. The way I've outlined my suggestion ensures that only roads where overtaking doesn't involve going on the opposite side of the road are considered. It is near-impossible to automatically police inappropriate overtaking, and this suggestion doesn't try to do so. 

On 12/9/2023 at 4:34 AM, MartinV90 said:

The recently updated game rule "§2.4 - Incorrect Way / Inappropriate Overtaking" and "§2.5 - Reckless Driving" cover the offence of inappropriate overtaking:

§2.4 - Incorrect Way / Inappropriate Overtaking*

Driving the incorrect way down a road. Overtaking or undertaking another player in highly populated areas and/or resulting in an accident or the endangerment of other players. This also includes overtaking or undertaking on any one-lane in each direction road where there is excessive traffic such as a traffic jam.

§2.5 - Reckless Driving*

Driving in a way that is considered unsafe or putting other players in danger. This includes but is not limited to: driving backwards, ignoring traffic lights or road signage, speeding, speeding up to prevent overtakes, racing other users (exception made for in-game racetracks, dragstrips or testing grounds). Driving outside of the map boundaries or in areas that are not covered by the mini map/GPS. Hidden roads which are intentionally part of the map are not included. You can use these roads. In ProMods, you can drive on unlocked roads or paths. Attempting to use desync lag or quick saves in order to cause damage to another user's vehicle. Using the ghost mode feature to go through traffic jams.

Even without the danger of oncoming traffic, an overtaking maneuver can be performed poorly and endanger other road users.

For example,

• cutting off another driver by going back into the lane too early (unawareness or misjudgment of rig length)
  • failing to overtake at a significant higher speed than the overtaken vehicle

As a general rule, the longer an overtaking maneuver lasts, the more dangerous it becomes.

Further advise can also be found in my status update:

https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/profile/93876-blabberbeak/&status=43717&type=status

• Like 1

Although it seems like a good idea, sometimes we have to use the opposite lane, so this idea may cause some players to receive unnecessary penalties. Also, some roads on the map require us to use a single lane on both sides, for example the roads in the north. On these roads, this idea may cause problems.

3 hours ago, -MaRtY- said:

Although it seems like a good idea, sometimes we have to use the opposite lane, so this idea may cause some players to receive unnecessary penalties. Also, some roads on the map require us to use a single lane on both sides, for example the roads in the north. On these roads, this idea may cause problems.

You haven't read my suggestion. Read it, then comment. 

Specifically:

On 10/25/2023 at 8:50 PM, Bеаn said:

To achieve this, I'd suggest limiting this system to cities (like Dover) and to motorways with and without a central reservation.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, Bеаn said:

motorways with and without a central reservation.

Of course, cutting your suggestion is the answer. I may have misunderstood, but I will not write an answer without reading your suggestion. I pointed out the parts of your suggestion that would cause errors. I tried to say this in my previous article, if someone hits me and I fall on the side road, if the system will kick me, this system will work incorrectly.  The system you propose will be problematic on roads with 2 lanes, one going and the other returning. A parameter such as a timer can be set to prevent this problem.

33 minutes ago, -MaRtY- said:

Of course, cutting your suggestion is the answer. I may have misunderstood, but I will not write an answer without reading your suggestion. I pointed out the parts of your suggestion that would cause errors. I tried to say this in my previous article, if someone hits me and I fall on the side road, if the system will kick me, this system will work incorrectly.  The system you propose will be problematic on roads with 2 lanes, one going and the other returning. A parameter such as a timer can be set to prevent this problem

My "system" doesn't involve the roads you're mentioning, so I fail to see how its a problem.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2023 at 1:03 PM, blabberbeak said:

The first steps after the detection of a wrong way driver must be to eliminate the threat as fast as possible.

1. Put the vehicle in non-collision mode.
  2. Make the vehicle flashing, indicating that the vehicle has been detected and is in a non-collision state.
  3. Slow the vehicle down to a full stop.
  4. Only offer the options
    a) to F7 teleport to the next service station or
    b) log out.

It is a radical way, but it would lead to a fast and safe termination of a highly dangerous situation.

i whole heartily agree with this approach.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:07 PM, 'MaRtY said:

I believe it should be possible to have it enabled that it only triggers after X distance or X time being on the wrong side of the road so it does not trigger on overtaking.

and with the timer should also have that if need to use other roadside for a second to be able to make a sharp turn with HTC trailers as else cant make it should also be possible then.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good idea, but it would take a lot of work, for example if you're turning into a fuel station how will it know if you're turning into a junction instead of the opposite lane. How would this work for roads with one lane like Kirkenes quarry. Overall a very good Idea maybe its something the development team can look into.

• True Story 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, Bеаn said:

Suggestion Name: Automatically issue punishments for people who are detected to be driving the incorrect way. 
Suggestion Description: This has been suggested previously, but my suggestion is slightly different. For an offense to have been committed, multiple factors must be determinable. Key among these factors is whether a player is merely overtaking or driving on the incorrect side of the road. To achieve this, I'd suggest limiting this system to cities (like Dover) and to motorways with and without a central reservation. This could also apply to dual carriageways or any road with a central reservation. Possible punishments include, but are not limited to: TPR, TPRK, kick.

continuation of suggestion description
Additionally, a key factor is whether the player has traffic offenses enabled or not. To combat this, there would have to be a way to ensure that the "wrong way" traffic event is permanently enabled. This falls in line with numerous suggestions to enforce all traffic offenses.

Any example images: No. 
Why it should be added: If the system can detect a wrong-way driver before they hit someone, it'll reduce the number of people being rammed. Most incidents of this, from my experience, result in a kick unless a collision occurs. So, issuing a TPRK or kick wouldn't be any different from an admin doing it.

Better yet - a 3 months ban from TMP. Please try next time if you are in a VTC.

1 minute ago, Niuro said:

Better yet - a 3 months ban from TMP. Please try next time if you are in a VTC.

A system like this wouldn't be able to issue bans by itself. I don't understand what you mean by "Please try next time if you are in a VTC.", if you could elaborate, that'd be greatly appreciated.