Who's at fault?

WebOutlaw

Hey community,

today I want to gather some opinions on a crash I just had yesterday.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1872759015?t=2h0m35s

I have already decided not to report this one, as I see the blame partially in me, too.

I am just curious how other people view that situation - is it a 50/50 kind of a situation or is there one side more at fault than the other?

What do you think?

Heyoo there, @WebOutlaw

First of all, welcome to TruckersMP forums, nice to see ya! 

There is defenitely a mistake made by player and should be punished. If you look you were doing down from the highway, you were going in right lane and once you finished the turn the player rammed you by his truck into your trailer. It does not matter you tried to overtake him from right but he still should have stood in his lane.. From this situatuon I would assumed that he did not look at his mirrors. 

I have nothing to say about 🙂 

Regards,

RedWolf [CZ] 

TruckersMP Veteran Driver IV | MCG Driver 

• Like 1

RedNub I TruckersMP

(ETS2 - 6,250 hours)

795749874_role_VeteranV(1).png.660f7fd7e1531540532_role_5Patron(4).png.063edcf85

Reporting a player  | Appeal your ban  | Support System  | Recruitment

From what I can tell, the MAN driver is at fault. 2380 has tried to change lanes while it was occupied. This irresponsible maneuver has resulted in a collision. 

• Like 1

If you want to ask anywhere on forums whenever 32-bit version of MP will be supported in future, try to start GTA V on your 32-bit machine before checking game's system requirements.

Instead of quoting the post above, use the ^ character. The character is actually pointing to the post above.

How to fix sudden steering issue on your USB steering wheel

Greetings @WebOutlaw
i look your twitch clip and i see blue man fault, because he dont look mirror and ramming you
It is already his fault for deliberately hitting you while you are moving in your own lane, and in this case he will definitely get a ban because there is no problem with you.
I hope this helped you.

King Regards
'Leo.

• Like 1

Can I help u ? (u can send me message)

ʀᴇᴘᴏʀᴛ   ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʟ ʙᴀɴ  ғᴇᴇᴅʙᴀᴄᴋ

Hello, @WebOutlaw

First of all, I'm sorry for your situation, I watched your rehearsal video and Player 2380 deliberately or unknowingly hit you and led you astray. I believe the 2380 is clearly flawed here.

Kind regards,

Rosmery

Thanks for all the feedback and the surprisingly uniform view of the situation.

To explain a bit more why I am taking part of the blame (although i might have overestimated my contribution to the incident):

a) I did overtake on the right, which i usually try to avoid at any cost. It was a move of laziness, as I did not want to slow down and speed up again.

b) I don't feel that i have taken all precautions to help avoiding that accident. I recall even thinking "damn, what if he doesn't see me and/ or is pulling over into my lane?" There was a way to drive much more defensively, but I decided against that.

Also I was having a longer hiatus, during which i might have gone a bit more soft. I used to report much more erroneous driving. But now I try to look at things a bit more differentiated: Was it just an annoyance? Or did it seriously interfere with my gameplay experience? In this case, I did pick up a load in Calais, was headed to Uppsala and had the accident already in Belgium. So I had not invested much time and effort in that particular journey yet.

That was the reason why I decided rather quickly not to report this incident. And giving the report moderators some slack.

And now it's time to get back behind the steering wheel...

6 hours ago, blabberbeak said:
  1. You are overtaking the other player on the right and might have been in his dead angle when he tried to change the lane.
  2. The other player fails to use the turn signal to indicate his intended lane change in a timely manner.

I suggest to not report the incident, because you're partial at fault.

Aaaah finally! I had to read sooo many comments to finally find someone pointing that he's overtaking on the right which is simply forbidden.

4 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

IMO, 100% fault goes into 2380 here. You were just driving on your lane, keeping your speed, the other driver should have made sure that he could switch lanes and clearly they didn't.

I'm pretty sure in this scenario you have to slow down and overtake on the left. The only scenarios when you can overtake on the right is during congestion/queues and the right lane is faster than the left lane or if there was a continuous white line between both lanes.

In that case there was no congestion and a broken white line between them. He should have slowed down and wait for the other driver to move to the right.

But, as everybody mentioned this time, the other driver didn't check his mirror when changing lane.

So 50/50 imo and not report.

• Like 2

Hello @weda410

You are driving on the right road and overtaking is already halfway through the body, but he changes lanes and hits your trailer, you can report him.

Kind regards,

Dawn - DaPeng

语言:中文 / 英文 |Discord:大鹏

TruckersMP 个人资料 |我的VTC |Steam 配置文件

见到你很高兴!

spacer.png  spacer.png

12 hours ago, Foobrother said:

Aaaah finally! I had to read sooo many comments to finally find someone pointing that he's overtaking on the right which is simply forbidden.

I'm pretty sure in this scenario you have to slow down and overtake on the left. The only scenarios when you can overtake on the right is during congestion/queues and the right lane is faster than the left lane or if there was a continuous white line between both lanes.

In that case there was no congestion and a broken white line between them. He should have slowed down and wait for the other driver to move to the right.

But, as everybody mentioned this time, the other driver didn't check his mirror when changing lane.

So 50/50 imo and not report.

I don's see it that way. This is not actually overtaking, it's one truck going faster than another, on a highway, each truck going on their own lane. Both drivers have to be aware that they are coming from a one lane entry point to a highway and NEVER change lanes without making sure that there's no traffic on the one they intend to merge. I could see the need to slow down if the truck on the left lane had indicated their intentions to switch lanes, but it wasn't the case.

Imagine an entry ramp to a highway, a truck is entering at 90 Km/h, there's a Yield sign ahead, there's a truck approaching on the highway, right lane, at 80 Km/h. The truck entering the highway can join it without slowing down and letting the other pass (as long as it won't disrupt their path), even when it's coming from their right. Because it is not "overtaking on the right". Not the same situation, I know, because in this case, there wasn't even a Yield sign. But it isn't overtaking either.

Besides, in TMP there are no blind spots if you know how to use the different cams, or more simply, the navigation map. IRL you can't send a drone to see what's around, you don't have a proximity radar in your dashboard's screen, but in the game you have those options. Switching lanes into a vehicle that was already there is just careless/reckless driving. Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

it's one truck going faster than another, on a highway, each truck going on their own lane. Both drivers have to be aware that they are coming from a one lane entry point to a highway and NEVER change lanes without making sure that there's no traffic on the one they intend to merge. I could see the need to slow down if the truck on the left lane had indicated their intentions to switch lanes, but it wasn't the case.

I would agree with you if they were on different roads/path and there was a continuous white lane between them or some concrete. But, once the 2 paths are joining (I'm not saying merging!), that's it, you are on one single motorway and you should apply the normal rules. One of them being: don't overtake on the right.

Let me show you what I mean:

spacer.png

fp7DDjK.png

Up to the red line you can overtake on the right. After you have to overtake on the left. Which means that you have to adapt to the speed of the vehicle on the left to get behind and overtake from the left.

If you ask a lawyer or police man I'm pretty sure that's what he will say (in terms of law/rule). Unfortunately I couldn't find online somewhere saying if you can or cannot overtake in this specific scenario. They only talk about slip road (merging) where you have the Yield sign.

But if you consider that from the red line you are on one single motorway, then the law states you can't overtake from the right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Besides, in TMP there are no blind spots if you know how to use the different cams, or more simply, the navigation map. IRL you can't send a drone to see what's around, you don't have a proximity radar in your dashboard's screen, but in the game you have those options. Switching lanes into a vehicle that was already there is just careless/reckless driving. Just my opinion, of course.

I completely agree. There shouldn't have been an accident if the other would have checked a bit what was happening around him!

And that's why I said 50/50. IRL for this specific video/scene I would say more 70% the fault of the one on the right and 30% for the one trying to move to the right without looking.

• Like 1

And yet, "undertaking" is forbidden in certain countries, but allowed in others (in Europe, too), it may be not recommended sure, but not forbidden either. What is forbidden everywhere is to switch lanes without looking at every possible angle to avoid endangering other vehicles on the road.

In any case, being that real road traffic rules and regulations are mostly ignored and/or not enforced at all in TruckersMP, this debate is pretty useless. Nice to see the different opinions from different persons, but in the end, who was at fault in this situation is 100% the decision of a game moderator who may or may not have a driver license (and know or ignore most real traffic rules), who may or may not be from a country where road rules are more or less strict, who may or may not be more lenient, and so on. One could decide to ban the player on the left lane for "reckless driving and collisions", another one could decide to ban the player on the right lane for "reckless overtaking", another one could decide to do nothing at all. Or ban both players.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:19 PM, Foobrother said:

Additionally, I'd expect another (truck) driver to respect the national road traffic rules which might include an obligation to drive on the very right lane, which in return bears the possibility of an imminent lane change.

This however doesn't release the driver from the obligation to ensure that a lane change can be made safely and without endangering other road users.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 

We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards,

OmSaL

TruckersMP Community Moderator + Support