Trucking just like old times - The challenge

norbert79

Hello there fellow truckers!

I would like to introduce you to a challenge I was developing for the past week. This challenge is about driving like in old times: No retarder, no GPS, looking at the map only and trying to deliver your cargo in time.

The rules:

• Your truck must be regular one, the engine maximum HP below 550 (around 500)
  • Your truck can't have a retarder
  • Your truck must look as a regular: No fancy things, sunblinds maximum
  • The allowed truck layouts are: 4x2, 6x2/4, 6x2/4 Mid-lift
  • GPS mustn't be used
  • Maps can be only checked before pick-up, before leaving and at petrol-stations and in parking lots.
  • You are only allowed to save where you can check your map too.
  • Yet you are not allowed to restore your save (game-crashes are an exception, but only the last regular save can be loaded)
  • Speed limits must be followed, including regulations for trucks (70 for heavy load, 80 for maximum on regular load)
  • You can drive any distance you are able to handle, but your whole trip must be recorded (needed as evidence).
  • *New rule: You mustn't use outside view while driving the truck
The point system:

You have a base score of 200

Point deductions:

• Signal not used: -2 points
  • Driving faster, than allowed speed limit (+ 10% is allowed): -3 points (on each occasion, between junctions)
  • Map checked on the road and not in parking lots/petrol stations: -5 points
  • Correcting your parking more than five times while unloading: -10 points
  • Breaking driving rules (ex.: turning around where not allowed): -15 points
  • Causing an accident: -25 points (this doesn't include events, where it wasn't your fault)
  • Being late: -30 points
  • Using the emergency service for a non emergency situation: -50 points
  • Restoring a previously saved game: x0.5
  • Damaging your cargo: -[the percentage of the damage]
After you successfully delivered your cargo you have to multiply your score:
  • by regular cargo: x1
  • for urgent cargo: x1.2
  • and for a highly urgent cargo: x1.5
After that you then multiply your score again if you were driving in an:
  • Online game: x1
  • Offline game x1.5 (because of the time limit)
As a last step add the 1/10th of the distance you travelled as point to your score (for imperial systems use 1/6th). This will give you your final score.

Example: You drove a distance of 1254 km with regular cargo offline, you checked your map three times, one during the highway, you were driving two times faster, than allowed and you finally parked using 6 corrections. This means:

200 - 5 - 3 - 3 - 10 = 179 => 179 x 1 = 179  => 179 x 1.5 = 268.5   => 268.5 + 125.4 = 393.9 (use integer) => 394
I am still developing this challenge so I would like to hear your opinion about this and I will release my own first recording quite soon as well. And as a last thought let me show you what I drove as my challenge truck:

000000000010887C.jpg

Looking forward to your recordings!

[table]

Date

[/td][td]

Player name

[/td][td]

Score

[/td]

AmazingFaanDean

[/td][td]

[/td]

iHazard

[/td][td]

[/td]

OvershotTae13

[/td][td]

[/td]

Ridicuss

[/td][td]

[/td][/table]
  • Updated the score given for the distance. Now it is 1/10 th instead of 1/100th.
  • Added table to reflect current scores.
  • Adjusted some of the rules: speedlimit and outside views.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
Norbert M. (Vorsitzender)
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d
D-60528 Frankfurt am Main

E-Mail: [email protected]
Telefon/TS3: norbert79

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, HRB 55933,
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
USt-ID-Nummer: DE126789124
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuses excuses... That's why you record your trip.

J-Spec is about the look only, not a challenge, but yes you could call my requirements j-spec like, yet I went a step further.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Excuses?

I didn't read recording part.

I have no excuse, I am doing it currently on my all drives, except I don't record it (2 minutes of manual backwards record if there is someone to report ofcourse), beside 1200 km+ full recording could take a lot of disk space, no?

On the other hand, since you rule out GPS and retarder, let's make it "manual gear" since automatic gear is kinda newer tech for trucks than retarder at least...

Final note: Being late on MP is impossible if you don't log out for hours... (also due to SCS bug, it is impossible for SP if you have to use long sea lines) Seriously...

"Trucking is like love... Only newbies go fast and end up early

"

Exactly why you have no multiplyer for an MP game. Well diskspace might be an issue, you are right yet OBS offers quite good options for finetuning. Last time I checked: Maximum quality settings (specifications later) a 30 minute recording needed 5.3 GiB.

Manual gears seem only a good idea if you own a wheel only; many of the players do not own such. I don't either. I prefer real automatic.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Still, why not just try it out first on your own? No need to share for now... Also it's not a must, yet I am hoping to see recordings uploaded...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Does it have to be in MP?  Its late on EU servers and only about 300 players online.

Not necessary, MP has the advantage of having more time to complete your delivery in case you get lost, how I did while doing the challenge. :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

It´s true the timing in MP is "bugged", but I still think surviving the MP (even without Traffic and timing) is quite more challenging than in SP, and timing in SP is really easy too driving safe.

Nice challenge in here. I cant start recording all my trips long though, I wish there could be some way of implementing this to MP, so there could be different "difficulty/simulation" setups so you could take one and earn xp according to it.

In that case, there could be some like Modern (with GPS, Auto. Gearbox, Retarder, etc.), Traditional (the one you said), and Arcade (with the F3 Map and stuff unlocked and other game´s simulation aspects unchecked, like air pressure, etc.). I see it like a great MP Gameplay stuff after the economy system is developed, obviously.

That all looks like a whole new game though, and no one will go that far : (

lkRjRkb.png

You should have a rule that it should be done in SP, due to the traffic. What kind of a challange is it if you're driving on empty roads, 80 KM/H :P

Need help? Ask me anything regarding Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer! I Speak: ksdu1BZ.png x4kePui.png j4Bh20f.png 4QDpL1L.png gXILc45.png 405TxXl.png I Understand: lLqk5b5.png GIgj2Ow.png zANQWPE.png syQskDP.png LzW4REA.png

Want me to answer? Quote my post or use @Ediin!

...I wish there could be some way of implementing this to MP, so there could be different "difficulty/simulation" setups so you could take one and earn xp according to it...

In that case, there could be some like Modern (with GPS, Auto. Gearbox, Retarder, etc.), Traditional (the one you said), and Arcade....

That all looks like a whole new game though, and no one will go that far : (

I am open to all sort of ideas and advices how such could be achieved using MODs or any other methods. Also feel free to fiddle around with the point-system as well, I am all open that you hit me with further ideas. I like those what you already mentioned, great ideas!

Also yeah, it might be a whole another game, but for the moment I think it would be enough building some basis for the whole idea and then probably developing some MODs to support this.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

You should have a rule that it should be done in SP, due to the traffic. What kind of a challange is it if you're driving on empty roads, 80 KM/H :P

You are right, yet I wanted to balance this using multipliers during the calculation for the points. If you check my first entry you will see, that you get a multiplier of 1.5 if you drive offline because of the time-limit and traffic while you have a multiplier of 1 if you drive online.

Yet these ideas are still in development, we can go to a different direction as well, I am interested in your experiences with my challenge to be able to collect the feedback on first impression and first experiences made.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

I dont know why the "Challenge" Word must be some kind of "Hard to Drive Through" situation. Do you think Old Trucking was like a survival just because the traffic or timing? Load safety, maneauvering, or the route choice are features which doesnt need extreme driving skills, but a bit of intelligence and resistance. Driving an empty road for hours without making any mistake and watching for any surprise (a truck in MP may be) is a challenge too. And here we are, in the MP forum.

Anyway, your signature makes me think you wont understand.

lkRjRkb.png

I dont know why the "Challenge" Word must be some kind of "Hard to Drive Through" situation. Do you think Old Trucking was like a survival just because the traffic or timing? Load safety, maneauvering, or the route choice are features which doesnt need extreme driving skills, but a bit of intelligence and resistance. Driving an empty road for hours without making any mistake and watching for any surprise (a truck in MP may be) is a challenge too. And here we are, in the MP forum.

I laughed at the last sentense. Well yeh I can somewhat agree, it would be kinda nice to be able to watch out for other real players who drive like maniacs, but that would be like 1% of the trip. In SP you have to watch out for AI at least 90% of the trip.

Need help? Ask me anything regarding Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer! I Speak: ksdu1BZ.png x4kePui.png j4Bh20f.png 4QDpL1L.png gXILc45.png 405TxXl.png I Understand: lLqk5b5.png GIgj2Ow.png zANQWPE.png syQskDP.png LzW4REA.png

Want me to answer? Quote my post or use @Ediin!

Why do you judge me based on my signature? Don't be this pre-juridical (Besides my signature is made up, none of the data there is true)! I understand a lot of things and I am aware about safety on the roads, how ADR works and such. And of course I have calculated these factors into this as well, yet the goal of the challenge must be between professional driving and fun. My main goal is to balance the idea, be challenging for those who are not interested in the rules and how-tos, just want to drive and for those, who are a bit more experienced.

Not easy to do so.

So, when can I expect your record? ;-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Why do you judge me based on my signature? A bit biased, I would say. I understand a lot of things and I am aware about safety on the roads, how ADR works and such. And of course I have calculated these factors into this as well, yet the goal of the challenge must be between professional driving and fun. My main goal is to balance the idea, be challenging for those who are not interested in the rules and how-tos, just want to drive and for those, who are a bit more experienced.

Not easy to do so.

So, when can I expect your record? ;-)

Lets read mate, it was a answer to Aurora. And I respect both SP and MP challenges for sure. LOL. ; )

lkRjRkb.png

Looks like the way i play this game, challenge accepted :3

Just finished upload it, here is it

*Warning* This video will be very very boring!

I did passed 50km/h a bit in 50km/h zone, and i met a kid stop in the middle of the bloody highway make me scared  -_-

Hey there AmazingFaanDean!

First of all I would like to say thank you for trying this challenge. I took the time and watched your whole recording and I have to say, that your skills amazed me, it was well done, although I found two offences: One minor and one medium severity.

Let me add a few comments going through some of the timestamps:

12:37 - I heard that some money got deducted. It happened at 7am. Was it the loan you had taken?

16:48 - This was your first minor offence. You didn't slow down at the yield sign and you didn't check left nor right either. This happened at the entry towards the first port. This makes -15points. (I might rethink the point deduction system based on the severity of offences)

17:55 - HoBKa-. Yeah, I think you handled this well.

19:47 - HoBKa- again, at the middle of the roadway. Handled well, yet I think this would be even worth of sending in as a report. (IMHO)

21:23-22:19 This short section had a limit for 70 km/h and the 90 km/h section begins at 22:19 yet you seemed to have been driving with 80km/h. I will not deduct any points for this as it wasn't obvious if you were driving with 77 km/h as allowed or with 80 km/h. (as I allowed +10%)

25:41 - This was your second offence: You didn't stop at the STOP sign, just rolled through the cross section. -15 points.

26:33 - While nothing interesting happened here it made me think if it's necessary to use your signal before entering the roundabout. Some countries require it. Just made me thinking.

So your points are, according to current rules:

200-15-15=170Medium prio cargo: 170 x 1.2 = 204Online game: 204 x 1 = 204Adding 1/100 of your distance travelled: 204 + 19.2 = 223

So you scored a final of 223! Well done!

P.S.: I think I will need to modify the calculations for distance, instead of 1/100 it should be 1/10 and 1/6. What do you think?

Update 2015-06-28: Changed score reflecting changes in the pointing system.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269