Retarder Usage

I just came up with question: How often do you guys use the retarder instead the brake in-game? And when do you guys use it? 

I came up with this suddenly bc I got a Dualsense controller and I mapped the retarder and engine brake increase/decrease to the touchpad. So I just want to have an idea of when to use it in-game. 

🙂 

1 hour ago, LK-026-Rabbit小怡宝宝 said:

I just came up with question: How often do you guys use the retarder instead the brake in-game? And when do you guys use it? 

I came up with this suddenly bc I got a Dualsense controller and I mapped the retarder and engine brake increase/decrease to the touchpad. So I just want to have an idea of when to use it in-game. 

🙂 

Engine Break has 3 settings, 1 being lowest, 3 highest effect. Engine breaks effectiveness is based on engine speed. So higher RPM will have more breaking then a lower RPM. And as you go down the gears, the effect 'multiplies' based on your ratios. If you drive in 'automatic' mode, the game will do the shifting for you. Be advised, that in auto mode it always acts like it needs you to stop on the dime as opposed to in manual/sequential mode you have more control over gears.
Retarder has 5 levels of setting. 1 being lowest, 5 being highest level of effect. Effectiveness is based on your speed. Meaning, it will have more effect at higher speed (ex. 80-90kph) and lose effect as you slow down. I think in game it becomes pretty much useless around 30kph and under.

As to when you should be using it, well depends on various factors - to some extent as this game isn't super realistic. As an example,  IRL you don't use full engine brake in wet weather or snow. But the very improper and oversimplified explanation above should help you. If you want to simulate some realism or just be a 'good' driver. You can run tests to see how the truck reacts with different cargo weights under different road conditions. You will learn more about your truck and how it drives/behaves. You can do 3 tests for yourself to get a general idea though, one with a low weight cargo, medium weight, and heavy weight. If you also play SP, and want to challenge yourself and see if you really know your truck, you can try one of the special transport routes with the extra heavy cargo weights.

Hope this helps 🙂

• Like 1

I use the retarder all the time for these situations:

• You want to slow down very progressively when you see a red light, junction, roundabout, accident etc... far away and have time to to stop.
  • You are on a long downhill with a heavy cargo and want to control your speed without exhausting your air brakes (if you have this feature enabled)

^Great examples.

I'd like to add to the topic a couple more things;
A general way of getting good examples of usage, is to find some truck driving videos. (ex. searching scania pov drive on YT). You will see when truckers use retarder/engine brake, and what setting they go to based on their load. You might have to find some American truck videos though if you want engine brake examples as engine brake usage is far more common than retarder in US. You could even try searching for explanations of usage for them and see if you find a trucker that explains stuff in a way that clicks for you.

If you are going for 'realism', it could be said that most veteran truckers barely touch the service brakes. They mainly use engine braking/retarder to slow down. This is potentially is changing though, especially for light(er) cargo truckers as trucks get better and better service brakes.

One thing I forgot to mention, IRL, one of the factors for engine brake effectiveness is also engine displacement. Typically bigger engine will have more braking force at the same engine brake setting than a smaller sized one. As for how it's coded in the game, and if different engine sizes have an effect or if it is just limited to the 3 stages of engine brake, I cannot say as I haven't personally done all those different tests in game.

On 11/26/2023 at 6:36 AM, [G-T-R]GrayWolf said:

When i'm hauling the cargo I used the retarder always instead of the brake but with empty trailer when you use the retarder trucks losing control and involve in accident.

yea, i figured it out the hard way

I swiped upwards on the right side of the touchpad for the retarder, and lost control. But I managed to correct it before colliding with someone else when I flick my left stick. Now I know why it drifts, prob bc I was doing empty trailer 🙂

I use it all the time when engine braking is not enough. Friction brakea are a last resort.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:33 AM, LK-026-Rabbit小怡宝宝 said:

yea, i figured it out the hard way

I swiped upwards on the right side of the touchpad for the retarder, and lost control. But I managed to correct it before colliding with someone else when I flick my left stick. Now I know why it drifts, prob bc I was doing empty trailer 🙂

Sounds like you have a geneal lack of control. Are you going too fast? Are you using max retarder all the time?

In addition. do not forget that is dangerous to use the retarder when is raining, snowy or when you are in steep turns, because you can jackknife.

But if you want to use it, don't push it to the maximum, but step by step. 

Why you jackknife whit retarder?

Retarder is using the transmission to brake. How it works? In the end, the main shaft brakes, so only the powered axle breaks. In this case, the weight of the trailer can push you and this results in a jackknife.

PS: In real life, the powered axle tyres get a bit more wear when you use the retared.

• 3 weeks later...

Heya!

Since your topic has been inactive for over fourteen (14) days, I will lock and move it to our Archive section. 

We apply these procedures, in order to keep the forum organized and structured. 

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. 

//Locked & Moved to Archive

Kind Regards,

OmSaL

TruckersMP Community Moderator