How to reduce Ping

Manishh

Question

I am from India and I get 155-165ping, which is not super bad but still trouble me sometimes. I dont wanna do risky changes to firewall, I am using 8.8.8.8 DNS. My internet speed is 50 Megabits. Is there anything I can do to improve the ping? I wanna play on Simulation 1 server since most player are there. The one closer to me which is Singapore server have little to no player. 

Would really appreciate the help

9 answers to this question

Hello @Manishh,

First of all, welcome to TruckersMP forum.

The ping is the latency delay in milliseconds (ms) (1000ms = 1 second) that it takes for information from your client to be sent to the server. Most of the times, when experiencing these sorts of issues, a simple router restart should do, but it's possible it might not immediately fix the problem.

Considering that your hardware did not change and that updates should not affect your latency in any way, this just might be some sort of network "hiccup" and normally isn't serious.

1-Check your connection if there is any device connected into it and they are downloading something. download could increase your network ping.

2-Check your windows update setting(if you are playing in windows), maybe your windows is updating automatically and it could increase your ping too.

Hopefully this helps!

Kind regards,

Mr.Drexyy

Hello @Manishh,

I see you have 50 mbps internet speed so I am assuming you are using wifi. Since the server is in Europe and 150-200 ms is the time it takes to reach it from India. This is considered good ping.

Sometimes your internet might be unavailable for a second or so therefore because of that you would have faced problem sometime as mentioned by you. Elsewise this ping is considered good. Anything below 300 ms is good. Causes no problems. 

But still there is a way to reduce it by 10-20 ms or so and that is by using ethernet cable. You'll get less latency using a ethernet cable as compared wifi. 

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you have more questions do tag me here or message me on forum. 

Best regards,

Aashraye

Branch Manager 

1666005388_ETS2MCG-WEAREFAMILY_smallwhite.png.23bcaa80c923794d8bce693db4a17350.png 

Join ETS2MCG VTC today for best VTC experience      

I doubt you will be able to reach something lower than 150ms. It's just the physical time it takes to reach the servers. But if you have a stable connection it shouldn't create any lag.

To give you an example I currently use a 500mbps internet connection from UK and I have:

• a ping of 15-20ms to London MS Azure servers
  • a ping of 250-270ms to Singapore MS Azure servers

You can test other locations here: https://www.azurespeed.com/Azure/Latency

thanks for the help guys. I do use ethernet and do find other players not moving smoothly but I guess its normal. One of my friend who is from mumbai get around 100-120, (I am from rajasthan if its help you). So I thought 50 ping difference is big.  Would like your view on it.

@øAlmeida

just a few more question

Actually, the 50ms difference is only 0.05 seconds. 50ms ping does not interrupt the moving considerably.

In my case, I live in South Korea, When I connected to the TruckersMP Network, My ping was located within 250~350 ms.

120 ms isn't high ping I think. Don't care about the ping, Play the game enjoyable.

Kindest Regards,

Chemistry_TMP

Chemistry_TMP

TeamAudi Project Manager

Ping depends on the distance, but this distance can be affected by how each ISP routes their traffic towards other providers/servers. Imagine that your ISP could be using a terrestrial route to reach European servers and your friend's ISP could be using submarine cable. This could make your route to a certain server longer in fact, even if your location is closer to that server than your friend's.

By what you describe about your connection, I'd say that there's nothing you can do to lower the ping to TMP servers. Other than change to a different ISP, which could (or not) have a different routing, but I wouldn't gamble on that, things could improve, true, but they could get worse too.

And like others have said, 150 ms is a perfectly fine ping to play in TruckersMP. As long as the connection is stable (no packet loss and very low or no jitter).

• Upvote 1

Hello there,

Due to this topic not wanting to be opened after 1 week of being Inactive, I will have to move it to Unsolved Topics.

If you are still having issues, feel free to contact us here: https://truckersmp.com/support

// Moved to Unsolved.

Kind regards,

djmtrlltc

TruckersMP Support

Regards, 

djmtrlltc

TruckersMP Support + Translator & DBus Translator