Rework Calais Intersection

Sunstrider

Most players (at least the ones I travel with) prefer to drive in crowded areas. Unfortunately, this currently only applies to CD. However, no one wants to spend hours in traffic jams or having to deal with constantly slow-moving traffic. But that's exactly what has been the case since the Duisburg rework: the route is often so crowded that it is no longer fun to drive from Duisburg towards Calais. From Calais it's just about acceptable (after an Calais intersection rework this would probably no longer be the case).

In my opinion, the rework of the second gas station (seen from Calais) has led to an improvement at this point. But there are still at least two problem areas: the other gas station and the railroad crossing. Therefore these two bottlenecks should first be defused, for example by converting them to make it impossible to turn left into the gas station from Calais. The level crossing should be constantly open or the frequency of trains should be significantly reduced.

If these two problems on the CD road have been alleviated, one could also think about rebuilding the Calais intersection. If the intersection is converted first, the route will probably become impassable because even more vehicles would be able to drive towards Duisburg per unit of time.

LegendsTruckers.deyoutube.com/vipmagazinyoutube.com/gamesmag

Languages: German, English, Spanish • Discord: Marco.aus.Berlin

On 11/25/2023 at 2:02 PM, scipion34 said:

Why not just use the interchange that's used in real life for Calais? There's plenty of space around it and for anyone getting in, and no traffic lights are needed. Highway interchanges are also used in Duisburg, which from my experience improved the experience drastically back when I was playing in 2019.

image_2023-11-25_130150605-min.png

Probably no one will take this response seriously, but oh well...

If one day SCS/TMP decide to rework the Calais area, I think it should be as realistic as possible. There are enough fantasy routes on the map that don't match the original in the least.

That's why I find your idea of following the original very obvious.

(Of course I'm aware that the whole CD road does not exist at all in reality, but because of its popularity it should be an exeption to the rule and not being changed too much, at least not into a four lane road ... there are enough highways on the map).

46 minutes ago, Marco aus Berlin said:

Most players (at least the ones I travel with) prefer to drive in crowded areas. Unfortunately, this currently only applies to CD. However, no one wants to spend hours in traffic jams or having to deal with constantly slow-moving traffic. But that's exactly what has been the case since the Duisburg rework: the route is often so crowded that it is no longer fun to drive from Duisburg towards Calais. From Calais it's just about acceptable (after an Calais intersection rework this would probably no longer be the case).

In my opinion, the rework of the second gas station (seen from Calais) has led to an improvement at this point. But there are still at least two problem areas: the other gas station and the railroad crossing. Therefore these two bottlenecks should first be defused, for example by converting them to make it impossible to turn left into the gas station from Calais. The level crossing should be constantly open or the frequency of trains should be significantly reduced.

If these two problems on the CD road have been alleviated, one could also think about rebuilding the Calais intersection. If the intersection is converted first, the route will probably become impassable because even more vehicles would be able to drive towards Duisburg per unit of time.

Realistically, what about the people who are trying to get into Calais from any other route but can't because of the traffic at the intersection? That was the approach I was going for.

29 minutes ago, scipion34 said:

Realistically, what about the people who are trying to get into Calais from any other route but can't because of the traffic at the intersection? That was the approach I was going for.

Sure, that is of course a reasonable point.

For this matter I would suggest a quite simple solution without rebuilding the whole intersection:

(however, any rework that causes less traffic jams at the intersection would probably cause a lot more traffic jams on the DC road and in Calais itself - especially at the traffic light near the workshop).

On 8/24/2023 at 9:54 PM, User_3879767 said:

i think a good idea would also be this: 

COLORS MEANING:

Blue: For the arrows, just to point out the suggested changes

Red: Road that should be added

Green: ROUNDABOUT(intersection with the circle in the road instead of traffic lights)

this should make the traffic NOT non-existent but significantly lower

Screenshot_1.png

Hello, I am familiar with this type of interchange however the average TMP player would probably be confused by this. The amount off rule breakers, trollers and reckless drivers does not help.
However, the post quoted below would be a good fix to the Calais intersection's traffic issues.

On 8/25/2023 at 3:54 AM, lIIlIlllIlIlIIlIlIlIlII said:

i think a good idea would also be this: 

COLORS MEANING:

Blue: For the arrows, just to point out the suggested changes

Red: Road that should be added

Green: ROUNDABOUT(intersection with the circle in the road instead of traffic lights)

this should make the traffic NOT non-existent but significantly lower

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1