Speedlimiter (How it affects you and others)

Xiolin

Everyone seems to have a varied opinion on this topic. This is mine, based on what I've read on the forums, and based on other situations where two choices were to exist. Those who care will view this and post their opinions. Those who don't care won't be reading this, and well...guess it can end there since they won't be reading it I suppose.

Anyways, there is always one "gleaming" fact that people always want to harp on when it comes to the Speed-Limiter. "There is a majority of people that don't want it". Yes, there is a majority now. Why is there a majority? The answer is pretty simple. Because the limiter is currently in place. That is why there is a majority and minority right now. People that want the limiter won't be saying anything right now because, the limiter is currently in effect. They have what they want, and have what they came to ETS2 Multiplayer for. They have no need to visit the forums and talk about the limiter when its already there. So this talk about majority and minority is, at most, speculation or just plain false. I bet you, any amount of money, if the limiter was removed, there would be a larger amount of people on here wanting the speed limiter back, then not wanting it at all. It is simple statistics, and common knowledge that it will be the case.

Is there a way to fix this?

The simplest, and probably easiest fix would be what Dave suggested in multiple posts from what I've seen. Upon starting the multiplayer, you are given two choices. Do you want the limiter, or not? This option will then set your main server to either be the limiter server, or the non-limiter server. That way, people are aware that two servers do exist, and that they get to choose which is their main.

Am I for or against the limiter?

I'm for the limiter, because this is a simulator and the limiter is simulation to that of EU trucking. Am I against removing the limiter? To a certain extent yes, because there are users out there that will abuse speed, and use it to ruin other members' enjoyment in the game, however, I do get that going faster is enjoyable if done right, and would like to see it. Which is why I am glad that the MP Dev team offers a separate server that offers unlimited speed.

All in all, the petty arguments and protests are getting WAY out of hand. The whole majority/minority claims that crop up are, for lack of a better term, childish. There ARE options there, and ARE servers available that are available to choose by the user. If anything, the arguments that arise because of this sole issue is turning away more members from the MP community, because they don't want to deal with any drama.

Again this is my opinion. May the flak fields commence.

TruckersMP Retired Game Moderator

ETS2 MP didn't have the speed limiter when it first came our it was one server and no limiter and towns had no collision zones around them. Root Killer (Legit Dictator) wanted to place the speed limiter on all servers as to limit the amount of rammers, this did not help at all. RK left then MWL4 took over then took the limiter off. YAY FOR US! Then the minority came out and had a whine about the NSL and made a big fuss on YouTube and twitter Facebook and MWL4 took this and said OK put it back on EU1 Only. Now we are not asking for the SL to be removed what we are asking for is to have a clearer option to what server we wish to join so we don't automatically join EU1. 

The speedlimiter problem has been ongoing since its implementation, however it died on forums because the Dev Team said it was never going to be removed! So we gave up and if a speedlimiter thread was started it was locked and you were possibly banned. Now we have hope that it may return to its original state and it was taken away again, so yes the argument has reignited once again!

Straw Poll July 2014

TVq5Otn.png

ETS2 MP didn't have the speed limiter when it first came our it was one server and no limiter and towns had no collision zones around them. Root Killer (Legit Dictator) wanted to place the speed limiter on all servers as to limit the amount of rammers, this did not help at all. RK left then MWL4 took over then took the limiter off. YAY FOR US! Then the minority came out and had a whine about the NSL and made a big fuss on YouTube and twitter Facebook and MWL4 took this and said OK put it back on EU1 Only. Now we are not asking for the SL to be removed what we are asking for is to have a clearer option to what server we wish to join so we don't automatically join EU1. 

The speedlimiter problem has been ongoing since its implementation, however it died on forums because the Dev Team said it was never going to be removed! So we gave up and if a speedlimiter thread was started it was locked and you were possibly banned. Now we have hope that it may return to its original state and it was taken away again, so yes the argument has reignited once again!

My rebuttal to you is...your signature. How is "EU1 FOR NO SPEED LIMITER" making it a "clearer" option? All that sounds like is just switching servers around, and forcing people into a NSL server, rather then making a clear option for NSL or SL.

TruckersMP Retired Game Moderator

It's the best solution, yes. A shame however after you devs and admins did so much to make everyone happy by giving the option if they want a server with limiter off or on, they (read: just a few people of the supposed majority who want the limiter off) now cry again they want more people to play with and state it's more important for them to play with more people instead of playing the gameplay style they like most... I want free cookies while driving with limiter on but I dont get all I want either.

So yeah lets get that idea implemented and hope this forum gets back to a peaceful place.

YOvd4LO.jpg?1

My rebuttal to you is...your signature. How is "EU1 FOR NO SPEED LIMITER" making it a "clearer" option? All that sounds like is just switching servers around, and forcing people into a NSL server, rather then making a clear option for NSL or SL.

Difference is when you force someone into NSL rather then SL they still get the choise to drive 90KPH or 150KPH.

Need help? Ask me anything regarding Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer! I Speak: ksdu1BZ.png x4kePui.png j4Bh20f.png 4QDpL1L.png gXILc45.png 405TxXl.png I Understand: lLqk5b5.png GIgj2Ow.png zANQWPE.png syQskDP.png LzW4REA.png

Want me to answer? Quote my post or use @Ediin!

Difference is when you force someone into NSL rather then SL they still get the choise to drive 90KPH or 150KPH.

You don't get it, do you? I am well aware of the fact that I can always turn the limiter on for myself, but the problem isn't my speed since I'm always respecting the speed limits. The problem is the speed of the other ones who go as fast as they can, not knowing where their limits are. And it makes no difference at all if I'm doing 70, 80 or 90 kph, whenever there's no limiter, some NFS-kiddie is gonna mess things up big time, destroying the game of serious players with his immaturity, ignorance and stupidity.

signature.png

Visit us on stvtc.co.uk or join our Discord-channel

You don't get it, do you? I am well aware of the fact that I can always turn the limiter on for myself, but the problem isn't my speed since I'm always respecting the speed limits. The problem is the speed of the other ones who go as fast as they can, not knowing where their limits are. And it makes no difference at all if I'm doing 70, 80 or 90 kph, whenever there's no limiter, some NFS-kiddie is gonna mess things up big time, destroying the game of serious players with his immaturity, ignorance and stupidity.

Also known as dictatorship, whatever you're doing everyone else have to follow - no questions asked? You can't reffer rammers to the community, because they aren't a part of it. You just have to hope that Admins and Moderators can ban all of them as soon as possible.

Need help? Ask me anything regarding Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer! I Speak: ksdu1BZ.png x4kePui.png j4Bh20f.png 4QDpL1L.png gXILc45.png 405TxXl.png I Understand: lLqk5b5.png GIgj2Ow.png zANQWPE.png syQskDP.png LzW4REA.png

Also known as dictatorship, whatever you're doing everyone else have to follow - no questions asked? You can't reffer rammers to the community, because they aren't a part of it. You just have to hope that Admins and Moderators can ban all of them as soon as possible.

Do you even believe the nonsense you're writing?? Why the f**k would you refer the actual system, where you have the choice between the limiter on/off to dictatorship? Oh yeah, I get it, because not everyone is supposed to play the game YOU want them to?! I really don't get it why people are still bitching around due to that topic. The devs changed the system so everyone should be satisfied with it, as both parties have to ability to choose for themselves if they want to play with limiter or without it, but still there's nothing but complaining, whining and arguing going on here. It really starts to piss me off to see how everyone's dissatisfied for no reason at all! You want to play with the speed limiter disabled? Then connect to EU2 and stop complaining about it!! -.-

signature.png

Do you even believe the nonsense you're writing?? Why the f**k would you refer the actual system, where you have the choice between the limiter on/off to dictatorship? Oh yeah, I get it, because not everyone is supposed to play the game YOU want them to?! I really don't get it why people are still bitching around due to that topic. The devs changed the system so everyone should be satisfied with it, as both parties have to ability to choose for themselves if they want to play with limiter or without it, but still there's nothing but complaining, whining and arguing going on here. It really starts to piss me off to see how everyone's dissatisfied for no reason at all! You want to play with the speed limiter disabled? Then connect to EU2 and stop complaining about it!! -.-

Why are you being so ignorant. How can my suggestion be the way "i" want to play the game when you get 2 choises in it. With your suggestion you only have 1 choise. And no, this has always been a question that has been turned down by the community, but for whatever reason the devs only see the people who say "yes" to speed limiter. Here's your proof:

April 2014:

2mesokp.png

July 2014:

2mynub7.png

November 2014 (1):

ka4fx2.png

November 2014 (2):

2yn30oz.png

April 2015:

nm0wes.jpg

I never said, that I don't like the idea of the two servers! I just wrote that I prefer the speed limiter turned off for the server I'm driving at, the two-server solution is the perfect fit in my eyes to satisfy both parties. However I'm just reading everywhere protests and complaints that EU1 should be NSL and stuff like that. So you anti SL-guys can't even live with the soultion that both sides are respected, as it is right now. So who's ignorant now?

And I think the only poll that is rather meaningful is the second one you posted, 'cause in the other ones the number of votes is just a really small part of the community. And that second poll isn't that one-sided at all. So why can't we just leave this idiotic argument and accept things the way they are right now? Like I already stated: If you like to play with the speed limiter off, then connect to EU2, if you like it turned on then play on EU1. But I guess some people's point of view is far too limited to accept a solution both sides would be happy about...

signature.png

I never said, that I don't like the idea of the two servers! I just wrote that I prefer the speed limiter turned off for the server I'm driving at, the two-server solution is the perfect fit in my eyes to satisfy both parties. However I'm just reading everywhere protests and complaints that EU1 should be NSL and stuff like that. So you anti SL-guys can't even live with the soultion that both sides are respected, as it is right now. So who's ignorant now?

And I think the only poll that is rather meaningful is the second one you posted, 'cause in the other ones the number of votes is just a really small part of the community. And that second poll isn't that one-sided at all. So why can't we just leave this idiotic argument and accept things the way they are right now? Like I already stated: If you like to play with the speed limiter off, then connect to EU2, if you like it turned on then play on EU1. But I guess some people's point of view is far too limited to accept a solution both sides would be happy about...

You still dont get it! The reason the limiter is on in the first place is due to people like you that complained about being rammed in game. Here is a solution to that complaint, re start a save game and move on! We are simply asking for a way to play the way we want to and not get shammed for it and placed at the kids table at christmas dinner because we was to drive at or over 100km. SCS Software listed to there community why cant these guys!.... Thats my question.....

And you finally got it with a whole server and still are complaining about it. So, yeah, I really don't understand you...

as we said in previouse topic atleast 10 times: having a full server is atleast equaly important as having speedlimiter or not.and now EU1 is simply full due too its EU1.while even people who want no speedlimiter go on EU1 as theres not enough people in EU2

lets hope we dont have too repeat is 50 more times or we will be called whiners again.

as we said in previouse topic atleast 10 times: having a full server is atleast equaly important as having speedlimiter or not.and now EU1 is simply full due too its EU1.while even people who want no speedlimiter go on EU1 as theres not enough people in EU2

But if you choose to play on a server with SL rather than go with the opportunity of a NSL-server just because the first server is more populated, then the whole removal of the limiter was unnecessary. If the limiter was that annoying you would never make the decision to play with it while having the choice between limiter or no limiter. So I don't get your point at all. You're complaining about something you are using voluntarily...

signature.png

But if you choose to play on a server with SL rather than go with the opportunity of a NSL-server just because the first server is more populated, then the whole removal of the limiter was unnecessary. If the limiter was that annoying you would never make the decision to play with it while having the choice between limiter or no limiter. So I don't get your point at all. You're complaining about something you are using voluntarily...

OK so you still don't get it! The only reason the EU1 server is populated is because it is a default server! Do read the whole argument or just the little bits that make you tingle inside? Yes we have the option to play without speed limiter but I can bet my balls that a lot of people choose EU1 simply because it is first in line! So lets make EU2 the SL server and EU1 NSL and see what happens?

OK so you still don't get it! The only reason the EU1 server is populated is because it is a default server! Do read the whole argument or just the little bits that make you tingle inside? Yes we have the option to play without speed limiter but I can bet my balls that a lot of people choose EU1 simply because it is first in line! So lets make EU2 the SL server and EU1 NSL and see what happens?

Swapping the two servers around is not going to solve the problem.  Yes, all the anti-limiter crowd will cheer because now the default server is the no-limiter server, but now all the pro-limiter players will be making all the same complaints that the anti-limiter crowd is currently making.  Swapping the servers around is only going to shift the problem from one side of the fence to the other, it won't get rid of the problem completely.

Changing the login interface so that all three servers are listed and visible at the same time with more detailed descriptions of what each server offers, and either remembering/pre-selecting the server you were previously connected to or simply not selecting a server by default, I believe would solve the problem and eliminate the bias towards EU#1. 

- If the client does get coded to remember the previous server, then you'd only ever have to click on EU#2 once, and that would now be your default server.  You'd never have to click on EU#2 to get away from EU#1 again.  Eliminates the bias towards EU#1 because now you have the freedom to choose EU#2 as your default server if you choose.

- If the client were coded to not pre-select a default server at all, then there's no bias towards any server at all because now you have to specifically choose which server you want to connect to every time, no matter which server is your favorite.  No bias, no favoritism, everyone has to do it.

http://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/10242-log-in-interface-suggestions/ <--- An excellent example of how the login interface could be changed.

If the system right now was really that bad and unfair, then your only suggestion is "Let's turn it around!"? Well, sounds kind of selfish to me...

signature.png

Swapping the two servers around is not going to solve the problem.  Yes, all the anti-limiter crowd will cheer because now the default server is the no-limiter server, but now all the pro-limiter players will be making all the same complaints that the anti-limiter crowd is currently making.  Swapping the servers around is only going to shift the problem from one side of the fence to the other, it won't get rid of the problem completely.

Changing the login interface so that all three servers are listed and visible at the same time with more detailed descriptions of what each server offers, and either remembering/pre-selecting the server you were previously connected to or simply not selecting a server by default, I believe would solve the problem and eliminate the bias towards EU#1. 

- If the client does get coded to remember the previous server, then you'd only ever have to click on EU#2 once, and that would now be your default server.  You'd never have to click on EU#2 to get away from EU#1 again.  Eliminates the bias towards EU#1 because now you have the freedom to choose EU#2 as your default server if you choose.

- If the client were coded to not pre-select a default server at all, then there's no bias towards any server at all because now you have to specifically choose which server you want to connect to every time, no matter which server is your favorite.  No bias, no favoritism, everyone has to do it.

http://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/10242-log-in-interface-suggestions/ <--- An excellent example of how the login interface could be changed.

correct.i personaly also mentioned this idea few days ago just like few other people in the SL discussion.

its an excelent way too keep it fair.and i think a vast majority of the people agree (both SL and NSL)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived