Desync when driving on the highway for extended time

LongBowNL

My friend and I drive some long stretches on the highway. But it causes a lot of desync.

We appear on different places on each other's screens.

This is annoying because it looks like it's clear to go back to the right lane for the first player, but the second player gets rammed because the truck has not passed on his view. :wacko:

It's actually rubberbanding. Don't know why we use the term 'desyncing' - since desyncing, atleast for the communities I'm from - is when the game can't keep it self in sync with the server - be it timing or an outcome differed from the server. So the client ends up being disconnected. In this case, it's the server keeping the player in synced - and updating. Your friend might either have bad lag to the server (ping =/= network lag) or has low framerates / a poor computer performance.

signature.png

There are several factors into why this amount of desync exists:

• Speed - You're travelling much faster than many other online games so the server needs to update much more frequently to make sure everyone is in their correct places.
  • Lower quality servers - The servers for ETS2MP might not be as good as other online game servers because they don't get paid for this. Other servers such as League of Legends or World of Warcraft have a massive amount of money that they can push into their servers.
  • Game not designed with MP in mind - The title for this one says it all, but SCS didn't develop ETS2 with MP in mind, so to be able to even play online in a game like that is amazing.
  • Poor network optimisation - This largely comes down to the above server quality and that the game isn't designed with MP in mind.

[...]

• Speed - You're travelling much faster than many other online games so the server needs to update much more frequently to make sure everyone is in their correct places.

[...]

I guess it is unfair to compare ETS2 to other games. BF3/4, ArmA, DCS also have fast moving vehicles but do not seem to lag behind. I guess due to the high performance servers. (And fewer players per server)