Unban Tokens

Mattify

Suggestion Name:  Unban Tokens

Suggestion Description: Pretty self-explanatory. I have already suggested this around 2 years ago but went inactive and couldn't give more arguments. The way it works is that for every accepted report a player submits, they get 1 ban reduction token. They can use these tokens in case they get banned and each token reduces the ban length by 1-2 hour(s)

Any example images:  N/A

Why should it be added?: This could be very beneficial for people that are mass-reporting and helping the community. In case they do a stupid mistake, they can get banned for it. I see this as a nice way to reward people that help with clearing the roads from rule-breakers that might unintentionally break the rules, as mistakes do happen. I don't find it that fair to get rid of a lot of trolls and then get banned because of an accident. Also, the ban reduction tokens won't be too overpowered, as you need 12-24 accepted reports to cut a day from your ban.

This suggestion was declined initially because people argued that the report system might be abused to get these unban tokens. This is not true however, because every incorrect report reduces the number of active reports you can submit, so over time abusers wont be able to submit any other reports.

I can see this being very harmful towards the community, if this was to be introduced then players would go and report every small incident that occurs in front of them just to get as many "unban tokens" as possible, this would cause the community to be even more toxic than it already is with it's "rec ban" culture.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Stormboi1337 said:

I can see this being very harmful towards the community, if this was to be introduced then players would go and report every small incident that occurs in front of them just to get as many "unban tokens" as possible, this would cause the community to be even more toxic than it already is with it's "rec ban" culture.

Oh, I see. Yeah this can definitely turn into a problem. So we dont want to incentivize people to report rule-breakers?

Hello @Mattify,

Whilst I can appreciate that you have evidently applied some thought to this suggestion, I personally would have to agree with Stormboi's comment;

6 minutes ago, Stormboi1337 said:

As you are most likely already aware, the load on both the web and game report systems are usually high, and with the addition of such "rewards", this would only increase that number by potentially double or triple the amount. Additionally, as Stormboi has also pointed out, such "reward" would also lead to a spam of unnecessary reports for small incidents, which only makes our work much harder 😅

Fundamentally, the reporting systems exist to help the Game Moderation Team catch those that break the rules when we cannot be present in-game ourselves.

Lastly, it is also worth mentioning that such "tokens" wouldn't provide much purpose, regardless of how it was set up. For example; If you were to keep the value of each token low, as per your comment, this would require a lot of tokens to even reduce your ban by a day. On the other hand, if you were to increase the value of each token to 12 hours for example, this would then encourage users to spam the report systems until they have enough tokens to completely remove a ban should they ever find themselves breaking the rules, thus defeating the purpose of a ban.

spacer.png

The problem with this is that it encourages people to abuse the reporting system so they can then go abuse the rules earlier.

If it were a small community of say 4000 people, then this system wouldn't put too much of a load of spam into the report system and incorrect reports could be appropriately dealt with. However, there are millions of registered users and lots of accounts are created every single day, so no matter how you look at it, the report system would become full of spam and stay that way.

Basically, you shouldn't "gameify" reporting other players, because it will wreck the reporting system and create extra toxicity in the playerbase which we really don't need.

24H4oa0.jpg

This is a horrible idea. Why?

1. Every little infraction will be reported by everyone involved leading to an excess amount of reports against the player.
  2. Bans already start out at around 2 weeks, with an extra month if more are racked up during the 1 year the ban is active. Taking 1 to 2 hours off isn't worth it in the long run as you can do other things to pass the time.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello @Mattify,

Thanks for the suggestion!

After careful consideration and reviewing the comments here, we have decided not to implement such system. Introducing ban tokens may encourage the abuse of the report system, leading to a toxic community culture. Our aim is to maintain a positive environment, and we do not want to exacerbate existing issues.

Sincerely,

Leon Baker

Community Manager

// Rejected