Are we allowed to use a VPN to connect ???

McDodge34 [FR QC]

Question

Ok, a member of my family convinced me to never ever touch the Internet again without a VPN between me and the Internet, so I got an account on PIA and it works #1, I can make the Internet believe I'M anywhere in the world now. But now the question is, are we allowed to use a VPN to play on MP mod here, You can clearly see my account isn't banned and I never broke any rules of any kind, I just want to know if using a VPN can cause me problems of any kind, I choose a VPN server that is literally nearly across the street from my house so the ping should be alright to play, and if it could help, I could choose a VPN that is in EU, maybe that would be even better but I'm not sure...

76561198104067447.png

5 answers to this question

Normally, using VPN is not prohibited.

It is only forbidden if you attempt to use a VPN to abuse the ban system such as attempting to ban evade or anything similar - then it can be a real issue and may lead to further consequences if found out.

But for the most part, using a VPN is allowed. Just be responsible with it :) 

• Upvote 1

VPN's are allowed to be used on the game servers, please keep in mind however that if you have an already slow internet connection, using a VPN service will slow it down even more regardless of where the VPN is located.

When using a VPN your data is encrypted right, this could potentially cause a higher ping while in game since the packets being sent to the server when you are connected to the MP servers need to be encrypted as they go from your HOME > VPN > INTERNET > VPN > GAME SERVER then back to you > VPN > HOME - continuous transfer

I would recommend that if you experience any ping spikes or any sort of lag while in-game that you disable the VPN temporarily when playing the games, you don't really need a VPN when playing multiplayer games and it just adds to the latency. 

There should be options within the VPN client however that you can use to change encryption types if you don't want to disable the VPN fully.