Distant Crashes

DPSimulation

Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, so please accept my apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place.

Yesterday on the server, two situations I was involved in have led to me asking this question.

First case was after finding out another guy was going to the same location and we were travelling together. I go to overtake him and from my view I am at least another truck length ahead and go to pull in to the inside lane again. In my mirror, I see his headlights flick up in the air suddenly, it's apparent he has crashed. I ask what is wrong, he says 'sorry about that' so I am certain I had no involvement.

Second case was when I was travelling alone towards Scandinavia and a car rapidly approaches to my outside on the middle lane, blasting the horn repeatedly. He gets 25-30m ahead and changes to the lane in front of me, but then gets completely out of control and flips over landing right in my path, my truck is totalled. Although I am nowhere near the guy, the behaviour of his car as he pulls in looks like the back end was clipped. As the guy disappeared pretty much as soon as he had landed and I had hit him, I didn't catch the name but someone put a few expletives in chat.

My question is simple really, is there the possibility of some sort of discrepancy whereby I actually crashed in both incidents, but I didn't see it, yet those two guys saw something different to what I could see?

Thanks in advance.

The answer is simple as well: Yes, there is. It's called desync, as in desynchronization. It happens in most online multiplayer games and comes as a consequence of players having different internet connections, speeds, etc. Say, someone connects to the server, he lives in France, so the distance to the server gives 15 ms. ping time. Another player lives in China, the distance to the server gives 300 ms ping. It can be seen easily that the communications between the server and the second player's PC take 20x the time when compared to the first one. This is the main cause for desync, which leads to things like what you described in your OP. You are seeing the truck way behind you, but in that player's screen, you can still be overtaking him. And that's why we all need to be very careful when playing TruckersMP, leave always enough distance when driving and overtaking, some people (me included) usually send signals when overtaken, if you overtake me, I'll send a couple of highbeam flashes to let you know that it's safe to merge in, but others don't, so the better thing to do is leave at least a 100 meters distance and keep an eye in your mirror so you can see if when you start merging the other truck does something unusual (if it swerves to a side, it's probably because the driver is seeing your trailer too close and is trying to avoid being hit).

I hope I made things a bit clearer. Welcome to the forums and happy trucking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Sunort locked this topic

Archived