Trucking just like old times - The challenge

norbert79

Hey there AmazingFaanDean!

First of all I would like to say thank you for trying this challenge. I took the time and watched your whole recording and I have to say, that your skills amazed me, it was well done, although I found two offences: One minor and one medium severity.

Let me add a few comments going through some of the timestamps:

12:37 - I heard that some money got deducted. It happened at 7am. Was it the loan you had taken?

16:48 - This was your first minor offence. You didn't slow down at the yield sign and you didn't check left nor right either. This happened at the entry towards the first port. This makes -15points. (I might rethink the point deduction system based on the severity of offences)

17:55 - HoBKa-. Yeah, I think you handled this well.

19:47 - HoBKa- again, at the middle of the roadway. Handled well, yet I think this would be even worth of sending in as a report. (IMHO)

21:23-22:19 This short section had a limit for 70 km/h and the 90 km/h section begins at 22:19 yet you seemed to have been driving with 80km/h. I will not deduct any points for this as it wasn't obvious if you were driving with 77 km/h as allowed or with 80 km/h. (as I allowed +10%)

25:41 - This was your second offence: You didn't stop at the STOP sign, just rolled through the cross section. -15 points.

26:33 - While nothing interesting happened here it made me think if it's necessary to use your signal before entering the roundabout. Some countries require it. Just made me thinking.

So your points are, according to current rules:

200-15-15=170Medium prio cargo: 170 x 1.2 = 204Online game: 204 x 1 = 204Adding 1/100 of your distance travelled: 204 + 1.92 = 206

So you scored a final of 206! Well done!

P.S.: I think I will need to modify the calculations for distance, instead of 1/100 it should be 1/10 and 1/6. What do you think?

Thank you for your feedback :D

22.19, i didnt know that the road is actualy 90km/h since i don't see any no speed limit sign :3

TERjqBU.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@norbert79 There is one offence towards AmazingFaanDean I don't agree with, and you should look out for this when judging the runs of other players.

At 16:48. On that intersection the other entrances have invisible walls. Now if it was in singleplayer I understand that offence but in multiplayer nobody stops at those intersections, and if AmazinFaanDean stops at them he might cause a crash, because a truck behind him might not expect him to stop there.

Never knew driving to the next city over could be such a challenge. If at all possible, I would like to try again with a longer load. Anyways, here it is :P

https://youtu.be/0U7NUVbm_CE

Music perfectly fits :)

But that's more or like how real trucking works, although having "up-to-date paper map" by the hand is actually is mandatory for trucking...

To be honest,  I believe it may be more challange in game because in real, there are more traffic signs about directions in real, sun always rise from east - travels through south and sets from west in real (for Europe at least) , in game it does not fit that most of the time too :)

"Trucking is like love... Only newbies go fast and end up early

"

@norbert79 There is one offence towards AmazingFaanDean I don't agree with, and you should look out for this when judging the runs of other players.

At 16:48. On that intersection the other entrances have invisible walls. Now if it was in singleplayer I understand that offence but in multiplayer nobody stops at those intersections, and if AmazinFaanDean stops at them he might cause a crash, because a truck behind him might not expect him to stop there.

Thought that too, actually this route is my everyday job (used to drive Gottenburg (Norrsken) - Kristiansand (GNT) more than 1 a day in game time) and i never spot at than junction since i knew i don't need to stop since there is an invisible wall there. But the sign says so and i ignored it. :D

TERjqBU.png

First of all I would like to thank you all for your feedback! It was very valuable and I will use them to do some minor corrections to the rules and thinking this further too.

Sorry, have to disagree there: Yield sign is a yield sign. Also invisible walls or not, offline you can expect incoming traffic, don't you? :) Also I never asked him to stop, I only said he ignored it...

...You didn't slow down at the yield sign and you didn't check left nor right either...

Anyway looking forward to OvershotTae13s recording! But I need some sleep for now... Also looking forward to record my own tomorrow as well!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
Norbert M. (Vorsitzender)
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d
D-60528 Frankfurt am Main

E-Mail: [email protected]
Telefon/TS3: norbert79

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, HRB 55933,
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
USt-ID-Nummer: DE126789124
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

...actually this route is my everyday job (used to drive Gottenburg (Norrsken) - Kristiansand (GNT) more than 1 a day in game time) ...

Care to explain this a bit further? :) You made me curious on the "my everyday job" part...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Care to explain this a bit further? :) You made me curious on the "my everyday job" part...

I mean, I drive on that road not only once or twice, but every "day in game" time i got job from the same company and the same place to the same destination. So yeah i really know it :D

Thats why in the early video i was in Stockholm and didn't take the job to Gdansk or Ozlyn instead of quick travel to Gottenburg, because Gdansk is too short and i never been to Ozlyn. And in Kristiansand, From the port exit should be turn left for a sortest distance instead of turn right, but i take right because i'm avoiding city traffic and traffic lights. I've get used to drive without GPS anyway :D

TERjqBU.png

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay, I will evaluate the ride of OvershotTae13s and iHazards tomorrow as well. Sorry, something came up in real life and hadn't had the time to check records.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Hello there fellow truckers!

I would like to introduce you to a challenge I was developing for the past week. This challenge is about driving like in old times: No retarder, no GPS, looking at the map only and trying to deliver your cargo in time.

The rules:

• Your truck must be regular one, the engine maximum HP below 550 (around 500)
  • Your truck can't have a retarder
  • Your truck must look as a regular: No fancy things, sunblinds maximum
  • The allowed truck layouts are: 4x2, 6x2/4, 6x2/4 Mid-lift
  • GPS mustn't be used
  • Maps can be only checked before pick-up, before leaving and at petrol-stations and in parking lots.
  • You are only allowed to save where you can check your map too.
  • Yet you are not allowed to restore your save (game-crashes are an exception, but only the last regular save can be loaded)
  • Speed limits must be followed, including regulations for trucks (70 for heavy load, 80 for maximum on regular load)
  • You can drive any distance you are able to handle, but your whole trip must be recorded (needed as evidence).

The point system:

You have a base score of 200

Point deductions:

• Signal not used: -2 points
  • Driving faster, than allowed speed limit (+ 10% is allowed): -3 points (on each occasion)
  • Map checked on the road and not in parking lots/petrol stations: -5 points
  • Correcting your parking more than five times while unloading: -10 points
  • Breaking driving rules (ex.: turning around where not allowed): -15 points
  • Causing an accident: -25 points (this doesn't include events, where it wasn't your fault)
  • Being late: -30 points
  • Using the emergency service for a non emergency situation: -50 points
  • Restoring a previously saved game: x0.5
  • Damaging your cargo: -[the percentage of the damage]

After you successfully delivered your cargo you have to multiply your score:

• by regular cargo: x1
  • for urgent cargo: x1.2
  • and for a highly urgent cargo: x1.5

After that you then multiply your score again if you were driving in an:

• Online game: x1
  • Offline game x1.5 (because of the time limit)

As a last step add the 1/100 of the distance you travelled as point to your score (for imperial systems use 1/60). This will give you your final score.

Example: You drove a distance of 1254 km with regular cargo offline, you checked your map three times, one during the highway, you were driving two times faster, than allowed and you finally parked using 6 corrections. This means:

200 - 5 - 3 - 3 - 10 = 179 => 179 x 1 = 179  => 179 x 1.5 = 268.5   => 268.5 + 12.54 = 281.04 (use integer) => 281

I am still developing this challenge so I would like to hear your opinion about this and I will release my own first recording quite soon as well. And as a last thought let me show you what I drove as my challenge truck:

000000000010887C.jpg

Looking forward to your recordings!

How have you installed a mod on mp?

How have you installed a mod on mp?

I never planned to install a MOD on MP although some mods can be used despite the system complaining, like the light-addon mod. Also the functions for the mod would be only to remove the GPS and your location info from the game. (Not a problem if the mod would work offline only...)

The goals for the mod would be:

• Remove location info from the world-map
  • Remove the functionality for the GPS (removing F5)
  • If possible calculate results from the delivery
  • Any possible additional functionality I wasn't thinking of right now

Of course all these are just plans for now, I still need more feedback and replies on the experiences made. I just would like to see for now if this challenge makes any sense.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

I said I would try this and I finally got around to my third attempt.  My first attempt I got so lost I had to give up. My second attempt I ran out of fuel in SP. In case I failed my second attempt I saved my game before starting.  My third attempt is my save played in MP, I did not run out of fuel this time and made it to the station with 20L I think.   

380HP Scania, its a slow journeyll

Sorry about the gear grinding, lol.

Warning, long and boring.

https://youtu.be/ic1l-oiB5bM

Let me know how good or bad it was and thanks for putting up the challenge.

Best Regards

** edit-- verbage

Ok guys I need to ask you all for now to stop sending in recordings temporary, because it seems these got a bit many and life has taken over my life a bit, but I will evaluate them all during the weekend. :-) Thanks for everyone who have sent in anything so far, after I am done with the evaluations feel free to send new ones.

Thank you all for your understanding, and I will let you all know when I am done! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Hi Norbert79,

I was wondering how this was going to go for you. Evaluating these looks like allot of work, some are over an hour long.  Very time consuming for you. I understand that life should take precedent over this.  If you dont evaluate mine this weekend I wont complain,  It was fun just doing it.  

Thanks again for posting this up.

Best Regards

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say hi; I have already updated the first entry with the slightly modified point-system with changes to the points on distance and I also have added a table with the latest results by date.

I will keep you updated.

Update 6:09pm CET: I am just looking through the records right now, currently watching Ridicuss's recording.

Update 7:50pm CET: Finished Ridicuss's recording, final score is 262. Next one!

Update 8:37pm CET: Finished iHazards recording. He scored 183. I need a quick break.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

380HP Scania, its a slow journeyll

Best Regards

Hello Ridicuss!

So I have watched this ride through and in general I was quite satisfied with your skills, you only had two pain-points basically: signalling at roundabouts (traffic circles) and applying your high-beams.

It is also an interesting addition that you seem to be using an Occulus Rift as I noticed, for which I pretty much envy you. :)

It was also a very quiet ride, you basically had only two incoming trucks during the whole ride; I also want to say here, that hats off not using the map during the whole ride, except at start!

Your ride was: caviar 14t, Bergen, low importance trailer.

Let me go through the recording point by point:

14:46 I have noticed, that while passing this road you have entered a 70 zone; you seem not having noticing this at first but then you set the right speed afterwards.

15:40 The first time I hear your gears grinding. Were you playing with clutches and manual transmission during the whole ride? Impressive, if you did!

16:50 The first time you exited a roundabout and not using a signal. You were pretty much persistent about that, you did the same at 18:54, 19:39, 22:34, 41:28, 43:16. It wasn't easy to decide how I should handle this, I first thought you were just forgetting about it, but you did this the whole ride long. It is customary in Norway to use the signal when exiting the roundabout and anywhere else as well all around Europe, so I have deduct 6x(-2) points for this, which makes -12 points.

17:08 The first incoming fellow player. :)

25:45 You were still using the high beams while being in town. This is not necessary, and in some countries also punishable. I am not sure about Norway around this issue, so I will not deduct a point for this.

26:43 Just an advise here: If you exit a place, where the road is not exactly in a 90° of your position you should really try to imagine it is and use your signal accordingly. So in this situation I would use a right turn signal instead of a left one, since it wasn't forbidden turning around there.

28:06 High-beams again. You could have lowered your beams there so you wouldn't blind the driver of the incoming train.

38:58 Despite the location allowed you driving in one lane, next time please use your signals if you cross lanes. You were changing lanes after all.

43:58 High-beams again. People in the booths could be annoyed by your high-beams. I know, it might sound silly, but it's better you are reminded about it here instead of forgetting about it in real life as well.

48:30 High-beams are not necessary where you have overhead lighting; you were entering an industrial after all, it was bright there.

Your score:

200 - 12 = 188  => 188 x 1 = 188  => 188 x 1 = 188   => 188 + 74.2 = 262.2 => 262
You scored 262 points! Congratulations!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Never knew driving to the next city over could be such a challenge. If at all possible, I would like to try again with a longer load. Anyways, here it is :P

Hello there!

Finally I had a chance on revieweing your recording, and I have to say your ride seemed to be indeed fast, and not just because you were speeding up the playback of the recording.

Your cargo was: Liver Paste, 21,649 pounds (~11 tons), low priority cargo

Distance driven: 75 miles = 120 km

0:36 First bump with the cargo. Luckily no damage there.

1:29 You were driving 90 km/h outside of town. Allowed would have been 80 km/h. I have adjusted the speed-limit rule a bit, but since you were constantly speeding, and as I have changed the rules just right now I will only deduct -3 points only.

2:16 [sPN]htbull_ why is he in the wrong lane? Weird.

3:01 Instant breaking. Not really advisable, especially you were not even looking into the mirror. No deduction, but be more careful next time.

3:30 Entering with a bit faster in the city, than usual. No need to "race". :)

4:44 Instantly switching lanes, not checking behind, just using signal. This seemed to be a very bad choice as you have crashed into TheLost27. I know he seemed to be bumped into you, but he was lagging a bit, he had no chance seeing you switching lanes this fast. 1% damage. -26 points (-25+-1=-26).

5:19 Parking was done using outside view. Main goal was doing this from the inside. I have introduced a new rule to cover this, no deductions from my side for this record as this is a new rule.

Your points are:

200 - 3 - 25 - 1 = 171 => 171 x 1 = 171  => 171 x 1 = 171   => 171 + 12 = 183
You scored 183 points! Well done!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
uKXmbLR.png
ATiR Trans GmbH
Hahnstraße 83d

WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE30732269

Hi Norbert,

Your scoring is more than fair and a bit gracious.

Yes I only use manual shift.  

No Occulus rift. I do use Track IR :)

High beams in game are my weak point.

I know we are to follow the rules of the country we are driving in and I should brush up on those.

In the states when we enter into a scale house, port of entry or anywhere there is a person in a booth it is customary for trucks to turn headlights off and only use running lights so as not to blind the personnel working. I did and do fail to do this in game.

Thank you for taking the time to score this drive I know it was long and boring.  

The lack of drivers when I am able to drive is why I started out doing it in SP.

Hello there!

Finally I had a chance on revieweing your recording, and I have to say your ride seemed to be indeed fast, and not just because you were speeding up the playback of the recording.

Your cargo was: Liver Paste, 21,649 pounds (~11 tons), low priority cargo

Distance driven: 75 miles = 120 km

0:36 First bump with the cargo. Luckily no damage there.

1:29 You were driving 90 km/h outside of town. Allowed would have been 80 km/h. I have adjusted the speed-limit rule a bit, but since you were constantly speeding, and as I have changed the rules just right now I will only deduct -3 points only.

2:16 [sPN]htbull_ why is he in the wrong lane? Weird.

3:01 Instant breaking. Not really advisable, especially you were not even looking into the mirror. No deduction, but be more careful next time.

3:30 Entering with a bit faster in the city, than usual. No need to "race". :)

4:44 Instantly switching lanes, not checking behind, just using signal. This seemed to be a very bad choice as you have crashed into TheLost27. I know he seemed to be bumped into you, but he was lagging a bit, he had no chance seeing you switching lanes this fast. 1% damage. -26 points (-25+-1=-26).

5:19 Parking was done using outside view. Main goal was doing this from the inside. I have introduced a new rule to cover this, no deductions from my side for this record as this is a new rule.

Your points are:

200 - 3 - 25 - 1 = 171 => 171 x 1 = 171  => 171 x 1 = 171   => 171 + 12 = 183
You scored 183 points! Well done!

Ha, much lower score than I hoped. But honest. First run and definitely not use to doing that. Fun challenge.

Hmm... I might give this a try. Though on a short trip. Not because I can't handle long journeys (usually I only do long trips) but because of how large the video file will be. I can't afford having a file that is hundreds of gigs large. Not to mention the time it would take to convert the RAW and then render it. x_x

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

Archived