[SCS Blog] Hungarian and Turkish Paintjob DLCs for ETS2

Some two years ago we did an experiment by releasing a bunch of country-specific paintjobs to spice up a special edition of Euro Truck Simulator 2 aimed primarily at the UK market. We did not fully realize what we were headed into - with the commitment to provide any official paintjob for all the standard cabin configurations of all the trucks included in the game, we are talking over 50 individual graphics files per DLC. These need to be created and adjusted for the various cabin shapes, and then maintained indefinitely through any cabin 3D model tweaks, file format, or shader tech change.

It did not look unbearable early on through the first few paintjobs packs, but now with thousands of files to keep an eye on across the many paintjob sets, it is kind of scary. Creating a paintjob DLC may take "only" a few man-weeks, but if we need to touch a cabin 3D model, it can cause a month of retouching of existing graphics.

We have been talking about winding down our paintjob work for a long time already, precisely to avoid painting ourselves into the corner with so much work to do anytime we change some truck-related stuff in the game or a related 3D engine feature. We are never quite finished with our tech and games, they are ever-evolving. But the requests are coming in loud and clear from fans from countries that we have not yet covered, and we feel that it would not be right to betray them and ignore them. It's a lot of work, but it doesn't fundamentally interfere with any other area of development.

The micro-department here working on paintjobs is creating great pieces of art, and more people are happy to see unique graphics themed after their country's flag and symbols with the new DLC packs. That's what matters to us. We are not pumping out DLCs just for the sake of it, and hopefully most people take paintjobs just for what they are - a totally optional piece of cosmetic content which you have no obligation to buy, but which can brighten up the game for some fans.

Today we are happy to take two more steps in our quest - to provide the paintjobs packs for the territories where Euro Truck Simulator 2 has a lot of very devoted fans - by releasing Hungarian Paint Jobs Pack and Turkish Paint Jobs Pack.

hungarian_paintjobs.jpg

turkish_paintjobs.png
kgQd0N7EQJQ

View the full article

It looks nice, but it would be nice if they quit milking everyone for money, and put out some of the promised important stuff. I"m all for keeping ETS2 updated, but the main focus should be ATS map not paint job or even rims DLC. Like I said it looks nice, just wish they would spend time elsewhere.

I am here to help, I hope I helped in some sort of way.

Come check out my Youtube channel, post videos every 2 days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwBdDxIYboOD73dPPZ8SAQ

35 minutes ago, jukeboxknox said:

It looks nice, but it would be nice if they quit milking everyone for money, and put out some of the promised important stuff. I"m all for keeping ETS2 updated, but the main focus should be ATS map not paint job or even rims DLC. Like I said it looks nice, just wish they would spend time elsewhere.

While I do agree that SCS should step up the development of ATS, they have a dedicated team working on accessories like rims, paintjobs etc. As such, development on said accessories does not stall the development of other game components. In addition, many people have requested new paintjob DLC's for their respective countries and I see no reason why SCS shouldn't capitalize on that. After all, they are running a business.

^agree about people wanting it, but why nickel and dime everyone. The time before DLC was the greatest, get the game and the updates for free and companies were still financially fine. DLC has ruined a lot of games. Just think they should do some stuff for free. I guarantee anything after Arizona is going to be paid DLC. Of course I will buy it because I dont have an option I want more official map, but I really dislike what DLC, and Micro transactions have done to gaming.

50 minutes ago, jukeboxknox said:

Maybe you should read the posted/copied text again....especially that line

" It's a lot of work, but it doesn't fundamentally interfere with any other area of development"

^understandable but that "a lot of work" could have been spent doing something else, or doing it just as an update and not pushing things out for money every couple weeks. You wont change my mind so dont try, paid DLC ruined gaming. You never get a full game until you keep paying out for it. I read that line and I understand, just think there are other things that that micro team could focus on, and maybe get ahead of schedule.

2 hours ago, jukeboxknox said:

As I do agree on that we should have other stuff and not DLC's on DLC's, you should've by now read that ATS and ETS2 are 2 different sub-teams in the SCS-team. Anything done in ETS2 is done by a team, whilst anything done in ATS is done by another, they are not affected by eachother.

Need help? Ask me anything regarding Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer! I Speak: ksdu1BZ.png x4kePui.png j4Bh20f.png 4QDpL1L.png gXILc45.png 405TxXl.png I Understand: lLqk5b5.png GIgj2Ow.png zANQWPE.png syQskDP.png LzW4REA.png

Want me to answer? Quote my post or use @Ediin!

It would be nice if both worked together for alittle bit, to get a nice porting of ATS map done, then split back off. I know people wouldnt like it but ETS2 is big lots of driving room, it took awhile i know but since its big for now, why not move your resources to get a big portion of ATS for that group of players. I know it will never happen but it would be nice. I know they are two different teams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest locked this topic

Archived