Driving in manual help

james143611

Question

Hello all,

I dont drive IRL, I've had a 125cc automatic scooter years ago but thats it.

I use a G25 Wheel with manual range splitter with manual clutch. However now and again I manage to crunch the gears, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I sometimes get this sort of grinding sound. It can't be that I haven't got the clutch in, as the gear changes but then when I let off the clutch fully and press the throttle again it makes this grindy sound. Do you have to let the clutch out fully before accelerating? I tried it with releasing the clutch and at the same time pressing the accelerator pedal, but I still get this sound. I don't want to keep replacing the gearbox when I keep breaking it lol!

Also with the switch button between low and high gears, can you realistically press it BEFORE pressing the clutch in?

I find when I'm approaching a T junction in 11th gear and need to turn left and want to be in 4th. I find it tricky to slow down just before the junction, press the clutch, flick the H shifter into N, find the switch button on my H shifter (I have it set to the lower left red button on the G25 shifter) without looking at it, then knock it into 5th or whatever I need, all in under 5 seconds! I often leave the clutch in when slowing down, is that right?

Again I don't have a clue, I've yet to learn to drive, and I'm just trying to work it all out myself!

Also, do you need to go through each gear? When pulling away I'm mashing through the gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in no time, and generates a lot of work before I put it in N, hit the switch, then put it in 7th etc. Pulling away in 2nd seems to work but not sure if thats a realistic way of doing it?

Any help would be most appreciated!

James.

3 answers to this question

Moved from Off-Topic to Help.

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

Ņ‰Ā  PEOPLE'S REPUBLICĀ OF RECKLESS DRIVERS

SprinterFS.gif

You should configure your shifter into this configuration, this way you only use the range splitter key if you need all the gears like climbing a hill with a very heavy load.Ā 

Ā 

To drive normally you just skip gears, I often launch in 3rd gear, then 5th, 7th after that it's 9,10,11

Ā 

So as you explained, when your in 11th gear coming to a corner, just press the clutch, brake to slow the truck down and wait till your speed is ok for 4th gear and release the clutch slowly. That's what I do.

Ā 

hshifter_splitter.gif

• Upvote 1