ATS Servers - merge into one?

-LoneWolf-

Hello,

I`ve just a short question - just like in topic. We have definitely less online players according to ETS. Server stats show that [US] Server is much more popular then [EU] and Arcade. Maybe merging this servers into one will be the best option? It may stay the United States. I think latency from Europe is around 150ms - that`s not bad in game such this. Everyone will benefit from more online players.

Is it possible? Or why not? What do you think?

P.S ATS will be expanded more and more. The more roads we have, the more empty they are.

I don't think that would help, because of different timezones, peak times are different for EU and US servers. Yesterday I was playing on US server with about 500-600 players (still barely any player encounters), and there was less than 30 players on EU server at that time. While EU server peaks maybe around 250 players at best, at that time US server will have less than 100 players, absolutely no differnce at all. Many EU players already opt to play on US server anyway, but majority of the player base is in USA and Canada.

I think that the biggest issue would be the latency. When connected to EU server I have around 50ms but on the US server I have 125ms. That means if I brake the other players will see 1 second later that I am braking, which can be a problem sometimes. Not taking into consideration the fact that some people do not have then best internet connection and using the US server will make the situation even worse. 

However if we would take into consideration the idea of merging the servers, that would not fix the problem in my opinion. That means the server would have around 600-700 players at the time taking into consideration the maximum amount of players at peak times. Of course this would be better, but the roads would still be relatively empty. The real problem might be something else, like the lack of motivation to play ATS which would include lack of content or road scenery. Recently WS was added which is very cool and that might attract more players.

I consider that the scenery of vanilla map(ATS without any DLC map) would be a weak point. For example, the roads of Nevada(some) are surrounded by desert and a few dead bushes and that's all, furthermore some of the textures are low quality. Even though the overall graphics of ATS are very awesome, the map would require an overhaul.

Hello! Thanks for response!

Of course I know that even merging servers into one is not solution. It would be just a step for better situation. Timezones are not the point in my opinion, when I write this answer, there is evening in Europe - so this is the moment with potential highest peak of EU players. The ratio of population of both servers is 1 to 4. Naturally I understand your point. One ATS server is just a sugestion for talking.

1s latency is 1000ms. 50ms to 200ms will be definitely make a difference in online shooter but truck game? I don`t think so. Especially when we realize that it will be not really often situations.

The best option would be AI traffic for tests in ATS Servers - but this is song of future I think. It`s a pity! ?

40 minutes ago, Mircea541real said:

I consider that the scenery of vanilla map(ATS without any DLC map) would be a weak point. For example, the roads of Nevada(some) are surrounded by desert and a few dead bushes and that's all, furthermore some of the textures are low quality. Even though the overall graphics of ATS are very awesome, the map would require an overhaul.

Base map of ETS 2 is so much more awful, with only exception being reworked parts of Germany,  assets are reused over and over (including Going east DLC) that you can't tell if you are in Poland, Switzerland or Hungary. Compared to that, these old looking regions in ATS are much smaller, but still look much better than ETS2. Southwest of USA is the most arid region with several desert/steppe areas, it is to be expected to look kinda dull, wait until we get to the relatively flat central part. Some would probaly agree it would have been better, if SCS opted to start on the East coast instead, but then again, it would look outdated by now, so maybe it's worth waiting, considering how the develompement of new states vasty improved. Maybe if SCS in the future expands the base map to include some more states (by making several map DLC included for free), more people will be willing to get the game.

38 minutes ago, -LoneWolf- said:

Timezones are not the point in my opinion.

I would disagree, right now looking at servers stats, it is 22:00 CEST, EU server - 65 players, US server - 400 players. I guess this means that most of EU players are already on US server, which has not reached peak numbers at this time yet, which will be 4-6 hours later, when these EU players will be gone sleeping already.

2 minutes ago, Granite said:

I would disagree, right now looking at servers stats, it is 22:00 CEST, EU server - 65 players, US server - 400 players. I guess this means that most of EU players are already on US server, which has not reached peak numbers at this time yet, which will be 4-6 hours later, when these EU players will be gone sleeping already.

Exactly, so why do we need EU server? ?

The subject refering to number of players on the servers might be debatable because not daily there is the same amount of players at certain times. Sometimes the US server might have 500 players, sometimes it might have only 150, it depends.

However I really like the idea of adding a mod map to MP. It would be cool to have a server like ETS2 has(ProMods). I am not familiar with modding and I don't know if there are any cool maps for ATS, but if something is going to be added it should be very neat so it can bring a lot of players on it. For example, there is a documentary on History called "Ice Road Truckers" which features ice(not asphalt) roads from Canada and Alaska, something that is unique and you don't see anywhere else. If a map that features those roads would be added it would bring a lot of active players for sure. This is just a suggestion and there might be better ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

As the last reply to this topic is older than 2 weeks (14 days), I will go ahead and close this topic for further replies.

To keep our forum clean and manageable, we have to close old topics to prevent the forum sections to get "messy" or too full.

Thanks to everyone for contributing in this discussion! If you deem it necessary to keep discussing about this topic, feel free to open a new discussion. 

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to conact me via private message on the forum or on Discord.

//Archived due to inactivity

truckersmp-logo-sm.png

----------

Former 743469563_role_SupportManager.png.780765

Support - Appeal - TruckersMP Rules - Feedback - Report

Archived