Hyundai XCIENT Fuel Cell Truck

[GER] 015IronTiger015

The future for trucks not cars.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What is the wave we power our vehicles ?

• Electric
    • Water ( Fuel Cell)
    • Diesel
    • Others

Hello everybody i wanted to speak about the future of today , so iam a big fan of tech stuff from electronics to vehicles and you always see the news about the upcoming Tesla Semi truck (electric) or the startup of Nikola with there fuel cell heavy duty truck.

But personally nobody speaks about Hyundai ! (no news in mass media or something like that)

But Hyundai build the first Fuel Cell Heavy Duty Truck in mass production worldwide.

So long i read the news correct Hyundai will test 5 of these trucks in switzerland, i personally find this topic every interesting.

So its possible that we see this truck maybe in the Eurotruck Simulator 2 or what you guys think ?

End personally its doesnt look bad in my personal opinion.

For the end: a video ^^

I haven't seen any Hyundai trucks in EU, maybe aside from those tiny vans they make.

The truck in the video is just a frame and cabin, where will the truck's body go, with that thing on top of the rear axle? On top of that? That will make loading/unloading from the back impossible, and will severely limit payload.

And if they also make tractor out of this, where do they put that stuff, to make room for fifth wheel?

Iveco makes CNG version of Stralis and new S-way, so does Scania, but only for their smalller P and L trucks, I think, they are basically engines you normally find in buses. They also have engines running on ethanol. Probably every major manufacturer already offer CNG trucks, but mostly only for small trucks for regional/urban deliveries but not HGV, Iveco is the only one that does so for HGV, I think.

Recently Scania launched hybrid and fully electric line based of P and L cabs caleld PHEV and BEV, but again, these are smallest lines.

I think we won't see electric/hybrid heavy duty trucks in the next years, The pandemics, halting everything, will only prolong any progress in tthe developement of not only technology, but also infrastructure that will be needed.

8 minutes ago, Granite said:

I haven't seen any Hyundai trucks in EU, maybe aside from those tiny vans they make.

The truck in the video is just a frame and cabin, where will the truck's body go, with that thing on top of the rear axle? On top of that? That will make loading/unloading from the back impossible, and will severely limit payload.

And if they also make tractor out of this, where do they put that stuff, to make room for fifth wheel?

Iveco makes CNG version of Starlis and new S-way, so does Scania, but only for their smalller P and L trucks, I think, they are basically engines you normally find in buses. They also have engines running on ethanol. Probably every major manufacturer already offer CNG trucks, but mostly only for small trucks for regional/urban deliveries but not HGV, Iveco is the only one that does so for HGV, I think.

Recently Scania launched hybrid and fully electric line based of P and L cabs caleld PHEV and BEV, but again, these are smallest lines.

The Pilot project is really fresh and if they have 10 Trucks in the Eu for testing its i think quite hard to find one of them so.

I had the same question but diddnt found a anwser though.

The think is you cant really compare CNG with Hydrogen the tank system of a Hydrogen tank is completely different as a CNG tank.

The biggest problem with hydrogen is to store it. Hydrogen evaporated very easy through the smallest gap in the past Mercedes , BMW, Opel made pilot projects in the past but which never enterted into big prodcution.

This time its a car the fueled it up and 3 days later the car lost around 50% of its hydrogen. Idk why all europe car builders gave up there sadly.

But that with the Hybrid i dont know either.

From my perperctive , electric isnt the future , im pretty sure the future its like CNG and Fuel Cell , we have to think that producing batteries its also very polluent aswell and to recharge them take alot time , even if we get batteries at high level where they can be charge at % per time i doubt thats the patch for future , diesel engines can also be more explored and creating new tecnolagy to use them little more and be more eco friendly , anything thats is towards better World im in!

20 minutes ago, THE ROCK - PT said:

From my perperctive , electric isnt the future , im pretty sure the future its like CNG and Fuel Cell , we have to think that producing batteries its also very polluent aswell and to recharge them take alot time , even if we get batteries at high level where they can be charge at % per time i doubt thats the patch for future , diesel engines can also be more explored and creating new tecnolagy to use them little more and be more eco friendly , anything thats is towards better World im in!

Fuel cells power electric engines, so I wouldn't say electric is not future, or batteries are not future - think of new technologies for batteries. Also there are many types of different fuel cells, I don't know much about the matter, though.

Then again, almost all hydrogen is manufactured from fossil fuels, namely natural gas, as far as I know, the whole concept behind fuel cells being zero emissions, I don't think in that light that argument could really stand up. Also, hydrogen refuealing stations are very costly to build from what I hear, the whole fuell cell industry has not really been profitable yet, so some companies already dropped the research.

4 hours ago, Granite said:

Fuel cells power electric engines, so I wouldn't say electric is not future, or batteries are not future - think of new technologies for batteries. Also there are many types of different fuel cells, I don't know much about the matter, though.

Then again, almost all hydrogen is manufactured from fossil fuels, namely natural gas, as far as I know, the whole concept behind fuel cells being zero emissions, I don't think in that light that argument could really stand up. Also, hydrogen refuealing stations are very costly to build from what I hear, the whole fuell cell industry has not really been profitable yet, so some companies already dropped the research.

Yeah , basiclly everybody gets stacked to point 0 xD , aint easy to change all world engines , but we must start doing pretty fast.

17 hours ago, Granite said:

I personally see the biggest problem to get that massive amount of energy, the think is gasoline is very easy to get without using a lot of electric energy, the think is its now for Germany idk about the Situation in the other countries we building up a charging infrastructure but do build a charging network like we have only electric cars how should be this possible our current electricity network is far less able to handle. But there is a bigger problem and thats the point how far i can drive with a special amount of energy and the point there is that for example you have charged with a amount of 10kA you can drive around for example 200km with an electric car you can drive in comparison around 150km with a fuel cell truck. So when we all drive Fuel Cell vehicles we need about again 25% more energy. But hydrogen is way more easy to transport as normal electricity mostly over long distances, here in north germany is a pilot project ongoing. The wind turbines park which build some years ago. There is the problem a wind turbine can only feed in energy when its needed but when there is no energy consumption the wind turbines are standing so and the project is when there is no primary energy needed a Fuel cell produces hydrogen which then can be used of other processes and i think that will be maybe the future. sry for the long text by the way.

11 minutes ago, [GER] 015IronTiger015 said:

The wind turbines park which build some years ago. There is the problem a wind turbine can only feed in energy when its needed but when there is no energy consumption the wind turbines are standing so and the project is when there is no primary energy needed a Fuel cell produces hydrogen which then can be used of other processes and i think that will be maybe the future. sry for the long text by the way.

You are probably speaking of water splitting? A hydrogen production method by electrolysis of water, basically turning water into hydrogen and oxygen, with use of the electrolyte (some acid or hydroxide), and of course energy input, when that energy comes form renewable source, such as wind turbines, then it can be considered green. This is of course more expensive than hydrogen from fossil fuels. Fuel cells don't produce hydrogen, it is counsumed in them as fuel, they only waste out unused hydrogen, oxygen and water. 

In real life, I find electric cars dangerous because they make almost no noise and you can hardly notice or overlook them.

For example, a child wants to cross the street but cannot see anything because of parked cars, walks over and then a noiseless vehicle comes along and an accident can occur.

2 hours ago, Granite said:

You are probably speaking of water splitting? A hydrogen production method by electrolysis of water, basically turning water into hydrogen and oxygen, with use of the electrolyte (some acid or hydroxide), and of course energy input, when that energy comes form renewable source, such as wind turbines, then it can be considered green. This is of course more expensive than hydrogen from fossil fuels. Fuel cells don't produce hydrogen, it is counsumed in them as fuel, they only waste out unused hydrogen, oxygen and water. 

Ah sry my fault yeah correct i mean the process to split water with energy into hydrogen.

Well, I wouldn't call that an electric truck, at least not in the traditional sense. It does not have a battery that provides electricity. You basically put hydrogen into the tank as fuel and the production of hydrogen is usually not an environmentally friendly process. Then, the truck uses this hydrogen to create electricity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @[GER] 015IronTiger015,

Thank you for creating a thread on our forum.

It has been 14 days since the last reply to this thread. Therefore, this thread is now inactive.

For the reason above, I will lock and archive this thread to keep our forums organized.

Kind regards,
Chev
Game & Community Moderator

//Locked & Archived.

Have a question? Feel free to message me.

Feedback | Rules | Support | News | Meet the Team

Archived