What's The Point Of ATS

SMRY

I'm feeling very lost, not sure have the abilities to keep up with ATS / TMP.

I grabbed me a load down in Raton to deliver in Twin Falls.

On my way, finally got to test / use the CB a nice touch.

However I be lost, least in my thinking, for,

I noticed several small groups of truckers along the way, which, overtook me going the speed limit, no problem.

While in city limits however,  while I stopped for traffic lights, they again overtook me & passed thru the stop lights without a care in the world.

Are we all seeing the same playing world while driving?. For the life of me can't imagine bothering with the simulator, if, a sense realness not going to be part of the equation.

I'm hoping can swing it here, though, sadly, the O'l thought processor beginning to 2nd guess myself both within ATS & TMP.

I notice a lot on ATS, 90% of the players essentially say "because the rules say you don't need to".

Its unfortunate in my opinion, since ATS used to have players who cared for at least some level of simulation and not just keeping the gas pedal down 24/7 with no regard to whats going on.

Now in regards to stop signs, I can understand why people don't fully stop at them in ATS. They're a nuisance, and most of the stop signs across the US would make more sense being yield signs, hence why most people treat them like yield signs in real life too. But, it it what it is.

24H4oa0.jpg

3 hours ago, P h o e n i x said:

I notice a lot on ATS, 90% of the players essentially say "because the rules say you don't need to".

Its unfortunate in my opinion, since ATS used to have players who cared for at least some level of simulation and not just keeping the gas pedal down 24/7 with no regard to whats going on.

Now in regards to stop signs, I can understand why people don't fully stop at them in ATS. They're a nuisance, and most of the stop signs across the US would make more sense being yield signs, hence why most people treat them like yield signs in real life too. But, it it what it is.

I can understand impatience with the many stop signs, esp, those near the rd's blocked by "XXXX".

Sadly, though, the truckers I encountered blew thru red lights, without a care in the world. Every instance had been both 3 / 4 way inter sections along main st. & containing no "XXX" along any entry/exit point.

Hell, even the rules of the Rd MP style anyways, say ok to blow thru red lights. That one will indeed be hard for me to swallow after a life time of driving. Now that I'm 88 I can take down rows of mailboxes with the best.

No great loss nor big deal. Take care of my own doorstep, all I can muster. I'll admit, haven been late several times, may change my toon eventually, &, now that I know better of NCZ won't sit tite take my turn. 

Be like going back to SP mode if you will. I was forced to reread various rules, tips,, others, some of it still coming to terms. Least I better understand the use of NCZ, others will follow as I move along.

Just now, KaizeNG said:

I think the rules should be followed no matter what, personally, I am a habit of standing at the red light even when the road is empty. :)

I too whole heartedly agree with you. Though I believe we be out numbered when push come to shove. Besides those that think / drive like us, will most likely go out of business rather quick,

loosing contracts, lateness, slow pokes, you name it. The Trucking World, has no place for rules of the rd. lol...?

Rules are rules, aren't they? They're implemented for a reason and players should follow them nonetheless. Sitting on a red while nobody's around shouldn't be something worth praising for, it should be expected since running reds aren't allowed ?

Perhaps drivers don't feel the need to follow traffic rules since there's significantly lesser players on ATS than on ETS2, you're on a simulation game, it should be expected of you to take things seriously and realistically. 

10 minutes ago, Strad said:

Rules are rules, aren't they? They're implemented for a reason and players should follow them nonetheless. Sitting on a red while nobody's around shouldn't be something worth praising for, it should be expected since running reds aren't allowed ?

Perhaps drivers don't feel the need to follow traffic rules since there's significantly lesser players on ATS than on ETS2, you're on a simulation game, it should be expected of you to take things seriously and realistically. 

Strad, reading other areas of TMP appears the same sort of unrealistic maneuvers taking place within ETS as well. Guess no matter where we go, expect little of everything whether realistic or....But,

what would I know, only live within U.S. Can't fight the system it appears. I guess we've got to live with it as in the TMP rules does allow for red light & stop sign running. Overtaking etc. in bad locations long as done safely...lol...

I try to make things as realistic as possible, with the exception of stop signs. When I'm coming up to a stop sign I take a quick glance at the GPS, if there's blue dots near by then it's treated as a stop sign, other wise it's a yield (a give way sign to us UK players lol).

When it comes to traffic signals (lights), I always slow down to 20mph well before a turn and stop on reds unless it's a right turn, those I treat as yields.

For ETS2 I more or less follow the exact same rules as ATS, the only difference being that I stop on all red lights (no right turns on red).

As for other players, they can run as many red lights, stop signs and yield signs as they like, at the end of the day it's just a simulator. Some of us are in game simulating what it's like driving a truck in real life, others are in game simulating what it would be like driving with a lead foot :D.

The main thing is that we have fun while we play, we allow others to have fun while they play and most importantly, we try not to bump in to each other when we're out there on the roads.

The problem I see here is the fact that we can see players approaching on the GPS, it let's us drive less carefully, why bother stopping at a red light when you know for a fact there is no one around you for miles. Now if I see someone already stopped at the light i'll stop too, to me that's the way I show respect for a player who plays even more on simulation side than I do. I used to run red lights whenever possible and safe, if no one sees me I didn't do it, no report, no ban. Latelly now I started to stop at them, one major reason for that being, when they lowered speed limit to 110 they got rid of many racers, so the world you see now is much more on the simulation side as it was lets say 2 years ago, I am actually surprised, especially ETS2 has changed so much, ATS was never a problem if you ask me. I mean there are people who have no idea how to drive a truck and while this isn't the best, I'm fine with them, unless someone makes me park in a ditch or something like that.

I'd say, play the way you want to, ignore others, it's easy to get distracted by all the bad drivers, but keep in mind at least ETS is waaaaaaaay better than it used to be.

7 hours ago, Strad said:

Kurallar kuraldır, değil mi? Bir sebeple uygulanırlar ve oyuncular yine de onları takip etmelidir. Etrafta kimse yokken kırmızının üzerinde oturmak övülmeye değer bir şey olmamalı, kırmızı koşmaya izin verilmediğinden beklenmelidir?

Belki de sürücüler, ATS'de ETS2'den çok daha az oyuncu olduğu için trafik kurallarına uyma ihtiyacı hissetmiyor, bir simülasyon oyunundasınız, işleri ciddiye almanız ve gerçekçi bir şekilde almanız beklenmelidir. 

I do not agree, although the game is included, you enjoy the game more when you play it realistically, personally, I enjoy playing it more.

Welcome to the community, I guess. Better learn fast to ignore certain things, while you want to keep it as real as possible. I'm on my 6th year here, and haven't given up yet.

You are not powerless, though, and don't have to allow others have their way with you. While certain things, that would cost you a driving licence in real life, are tolerated, even though there's "simulation" in the server's name, you can still report bad behavior causing you any problems, there's both in-game report system (unreliable due to too many reports flooding the system and timing out) and website report system (100% reliable, all reports are reviewed, but it can take up to a week and you need to provide video evidence).

As you said, expect everything, people in this communtity come from all over the world, and it's not like that the bad types or good types are limited only to some groups or areas, no, both can be from anywhere and can be found anywhere. Because of the anonymity of internet and online gaming, you can't be sure whether you are dealing with 5-years old kid or a mature person, but I would guess most of the communtity is of very young age - in that regard, it's amazing you are playing multiplayer game in your age, not that there's anything wrong with that, so

stay safe and don't give up.

In my opinion ATS has a different community to ETS in general. ETS having been so popular for so long I think people just tended to go a bit freedom mode on ATS.

I personally find the game too quiet however the people I do meet seem friendlier.

In terms of the traffic, it has less people so I guess they feel they don't need to follow the rules so much. If people are around me I will always abide by the rules as if I were driving in real life. 
As Granite said, you learn to ignore certain things and focus on your gameplay and why you play the game. At end of the day it is a game and there will always be people who don't play it the way it should be. 

• 2 weeks later...

I play ATS quite often on the US server. I very rarely see anyone run through red lights. The players are considerate and polite. Overall, it's been a good experience.

On the ETS2 side, it's been the opposite. Even though I enjoy the game, I find a lot of the players to be careless and rude. I've been criticized for NOT running through red lights. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived