bring the 90KM/H cap back to Sim 1

seth_haveron

I'm gonna throw my hat in.

The game is ultimately a simulator, the people who are enthusiasts for simulators typically want to play them as they would if they were doing it as a real-life job and that includes following the legal rules for such a thing.

If I was a truck driver in real life, I wouldn't be spending my time driving half-expecting someone to whizz by me at 120kmh, tip over in the road, and then for me to crash into them.

It could happen, sure, but it's unlikely and very illegal.

Because of this I'm very much in favour of enforcing the legal speed limits in-game. To be utterly realistic, people would still be able to drive over the limit but it would be a reportable and bannable offense. However that would also require significantly more moderation. So with that in mind, the easiest thing would be to lower the achievable speed whatever the road signs say.

Afterall, the arcade server will still be there for people who don't want that experience. I feel like most people who want to drive like a maniac on the Simulation servers don't want to do it because "it's possible in real life" but rather they simply enjoy ruining the experience for the more serious players.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

This is not a discussion about whether it's OK to do it, this is only your faulty interpretation. This whole conversation was based on his argument about high speeds being unrealistic in trucks. And like i said to him, if you want to favor the speed limit, you should find a different argument, because as you can see from the video such speeds are pretty realistic.

Let's see...

realistic

/rɪəˈlɪstɪk/

adjective

having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

"I thought we had a realistic chance of winning"

representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.

"a realistic human drama"

One Youtube video you watched doesn't make what you saw in it a realistic thing. What we see every single day in every European roads does. Of course, this is only my faulty interpretation. You instantly read "This is OK", you failed (apparently) to read my last sentence in that post. Let me make that clearer:

It's the behaviour of the other 99% of not crazy people that should be taken as example of "realistic".

8 minutes ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

I believe what @Granite means with "unrealistic speed" is that the majority of truck drivers you see IRL on the road drive at reasonable speeds way below 150 kph, and that a dozen of trucks driving at 150 kph would stick out like a sore thumb.
But maybe I got him all wrong...

During my journeys on European highways in the last 40 years I have never seen a truck driving faster than 120 kph. Now, I don't rule out that it happens but I think it is rare.

I agree that a truck can drive faster than 90 kph. 

But driving faster comes at a price. You will need longer to stop and you have less time to react to unforeseen incidents which could lead to an accident.

The video that you posted shows irresponsible and reckless truck drivers.
Luckily, the street seems to be deserted, the weather and visibility is good and the course of the road is straight.
Nevertheless, a tire blowout at that speed could end in unnecessary damages and casualties.

Let us not forget that the initial question of the OP @seth_haveron was what we think about lowering the speed limit to 90kph. For my part, I hardly ever reach the 90 kph, so lowering the speed limit would not make a difference for me.

And for you?

I wholeheartedly agree with you. 

The point @Granite made though regards realism, so that would be whether a truck could reach that speed in the game. It's a whole other conversation whether a truck should reach that speed.

Personally, i think that the speed limit is a mediocre solution for a much deeper problem and decreasing it even further would only divide the playerbase even further. 

The game in its current state lacks a clear goal for the players. If you can simply cheat your way for money and XP then there's no point in actually completing jobs. So that basically makes the game a free roam for most players and as a follow up they don't really care about driving within rules and limits. As a casual player myself, i rarely care if some troll or a simple accident would cause damage to my cargo. I just like to drive around, enjoy the scenery and interact with other players. That's how i treat the game and i imagine that several other players do so aswell. ( Now i'm not saying that this applies to everyone. There are people who like to deliver their cargos perfectly and that's fine. )

This problem could be solved by a server-side economy, because that would actually give value to the in-game currency and would reward cautious and hardcore simulation players. Furthermore, i strongly believe that it would also reduce accidents as players would have to drive carefully since they'd value their trucks and their money. I'd certainly be twice as careful as i am now (and i don't consider myself a reckless driver) while driving a truck that took me several hours of grinding long journey jobs to purchase. Right now, the player can simply load unlimited XP plus 100 million to his account and join the game, get the best truck available, get every modification available and drive around. Imagine how different the game would be if you had to grind for acquiring all these stuff instead of getting them with no effort at all.

This system wouldn't stop trolls entirely. That's why there's a reporting system though. But anyway, i don't think that there's a system capable of keeping trolls entirely out of a game. It would certainly make the players though to think twice before doing a dangerous overtake or drive with 110 km/h in a steep curve because that could lead them to actual bankruptcy.

9 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

This problem could be solved by a server-side economy, because that would actually give value to the in-game currency and would reward cautious and hardcore simulation players.

I also believe that a server-sided economy will make the multiplayer better for the reasons you stated.

It has been suggested already and IIRC will be considered by the TruckersMP team in the future, though they can't say when it will happen.
I imagine that all players would start with a new profile like in single player. They would need to pick a city for their headquarter and then do quick jobs until they have gained enough money to buy their first own truck...

No profile tweaking, no money cheating, no level cheating, no nada.

And then we will see how long it takes until the trolls run out of money and loose interest.

25 minutes ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Let's see...

realistic

/rɪəˈlɪstɪk/

adjective

having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

"I thought we had a realistic chance of winning"

representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.

"a realistic human drama"

One Youtube video you watched doesn't make what you saw in it a realistic thing. What we see every single day in every European roads does. Of course, this is only my faulty interpretation. You instantly read "This is OK", you failed (apparently) to read my last sentence in that post. Let me make that clearer:

It's the behaviour of the other 99% of not crazy people that should be taken as example of "realistic".

Can it be achieved? Yes.

Is it accurate and true to life? Yes. 

It succeeds in both definitions. Realism can be considered a synonym of common-sense like you presented it. It's also a synonym of pragmatism which is an approach that assesses the truth of meaning of theories or beliefs in terms of the success of their practical application (google's definition). 

8 minutes ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

I also believe that a server-sided economy will make the multiplayer better for the reasons you stated.

It has been suggested already and IIRC will be considered by the TruckersMP team in the future, though they can't say when it will happen.
I imagine that all players would start with a new profile like in single player. They would need to pick a city for their headquarter and then do quick jobs until they have gained enough money to buy their first own truck...

No profile tweaking, no money cheating, no level cheating, no nada.

And then we will see how long it takes until the trolls run out of money and loose interest.

It will certainly diversify the game, make it more immersive and it will finally add a sense of accomplishment in completing jobs. That would certainly re-surface my interest about TMP

11 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

It will certainly diversify the game, make it more immersive and it will finally add a sense of accomplishment in completing jobs. That would certainly re-surface my interest about TMP

I would also like to add the following:

Server-sided truck adjustments.
Truck stability adjustments and truck speed limiter will be preset server-sided and can not be altered to allow for a more realistic experience.
This also includes disabled aerial view.

However, the latter (restrict views) has already been rejected.

33 minutes ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

So driving trucks at 150 Km/h on European roads is "Accurate and true to life". Good to know. It must be just me that has never seen one in more than 50 years. I have to start paying more attention, I guess...

I'm telling you again that what you're describing is common sense and not realism per se.

If someone asks you if a truck is capable of reaching that speed in a european road, what would your answer be?

By your definition, people who live in countries near the equator should deny the existence of snow. 

And I'm telling you that realism is what you see in real life. "Accurate and true to life". What can be done is real. But not necessarily realistic. Can a person survive a fall from the 10th floor of a building? Yes. Is it realistic that persons survive a fall from the 10th floor of a building? No.

Clearly, we have completely different ideas about what's realistic, this is going nowhere, so I'll stop here.

But I want to say that what you posted a bit earlier about making the game's economy server-sided and everything that Joao proposed in his replies, would have 100% of my support.

I believe that limiting the speed will correct the situation in part. There are always trolls. So need to introduce own server economy, as mentioned earlier. However, it is worth thinking about VTC, which distribute common game profiles with truck's tuning and money. If everyone has to start a new profile and develop from scratch without cheat way for money then the development of all VTC will pause for a long time. 

well i recently got a nice example of what might happen "if" we keep up with the speedlimit. 

it was a nice Rabbit and Hedgehawk race over 2500km form Dortmund to St.Peterburg ..... it turned out that the other guy form another German VTC had the same destination as myself. 

He was Speeding like his life would depend on it and needed to throw a anchor at every turn along the way... he literally took every turn in a 70degree angle almost flipping it every time. 

and i trundelt along with my trusty 90/kmh limit..... eager to keep my momentum and flow up as good as it gets.   

long story short: we both arrived with a time difference of only 8,5 seconds ....  despite the speed difference , despite a different driving style , despite bordercontrols , despite tallgates .... 

1:20 Hours for 2500 kilometer is a good rate if you ask me...  

so again the argument that 90 is to slow or you cant get a job done in a giving time is a fairytale.  

1 hour ago, seth_haveron said:

1:20 Hours for 2500 kilometer is a good rate if you ask me..

Given that time ratio is 6 to 1, meaning that 6 game time units correspond to 1 real time unit (6 game hours = 1 real time hour), it seems a bit too fast.

Here are my calculations.

1h 20 min real time = 1,33333 h

1,33333 h * 6 = 7,99999 h game time, let's say approx. 8 h game time

2500 kilometers / 8 h = 312,5 km/h ?

So if you drove at 90 km/h, it would take you :

2500 kilometers / 90 km/h = 27,78 h game time or 4,63 h real time.

Maybe your pen slipped and you missed a number...?

Just wondering.

Very good idea, i always said that this is simulator not some truck racing game, im going 90 kmh like everyone should do and i hate when  someone coming behind me, starting horning and blinking with stupid 110 kmh forcing me to go faster. Servers named simulation isnt simulation its racing.

9 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

Given that time ratio is 6 to 1, meaning that 6 game time units correspond to 1 real time unit (6 game hours = 1 real time hour), it seems a bit too fast.

Just wondering.

Driving at 80 Km/h tops I can do 1000 Km in about 40 minutes (real time). Never tried, but 2500 Km in 80 minutes, driving at 90 Km/h all of the time seems quite doable to me. I know about the "time translation" in MP, but in this case, I'm speaking from experience, I've measured the real time it took me to do 1000 Km while driving one of my jobs, more than once and it's always those 40-ish minutes.

@Domantas.S. No one forces others to go faster, it's your decision to go faster only because some imbecile doesn't want to stay behind your vehicle and honks and flashes like a psycho. If I'm doing 80 and someone comes from behind at 110, they are free to overtake safely, to slow down and stay behind or to overtake like the GTA kids they are, cause an "accident" and be reported and banned. But I won't accelerate. It's them who are speeding, anything bad happens, their fault.

14 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

Just wondering.

do you ever took a closer look at the time to distance data the server is giving you while driving ?? 

250 km are passing slower then 500km   

i have more trouble with the Dortmund/Bremen tour then Dortmund/Stockholm. 

also the server time is slipping back or forth.  its quite inconstant.  

also D-B takes me 13-15 minutes one way. 

on a good day without my focus issue i get to finish 10 tours Dortmund /Bremen ....that takes me 2hours and 30 minutes.   the inner City restrictions and the Kebabs in both Citys are slowing me down the most. 

And just before i forget it (again)  

i want to Thank you for participating in this discussion, for your opinions, your suggestions and your points of view. 

i would never thought this would keep itself up for such a long time compared to the other posts that came after and are already gone.  

still not sure if my mission was a success or still work in progress ...   

On 1/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, seth_haveron said:

long story short: we both arrived with a time difference of only 8,5 seconds ....  despite the speed difference , despite a different driving style , despite bordercontrols , despite tallgates ....

Which speed difference? You understand speed is only a sum of distance over time, right? If you arrived at the same time it meant that yours and his average speed were the same.

It's very nice that he overtook you with 110. But it also means that he did way slower than 90 in other parts.

So your argument that 90 and 110 makes no difference is busted by your own words...

Kind regards,

partyaap

Driver - Bruijn Logistics

Rules | Knowledge Base | SupportFeedbackRecruitmentNews | Events | Staff Team

*Views and opinions expressed are my own and do not represent anything or anyone else.

On 1/7/2021 at 5:24 PM, Joao Rodrigues said:

@FernandoCR [ESP]
@seth_haveron

Thank you both for your feedback.

Apparently, the time ratio of 6 to 1  that I measured some time ago is not valid anymore.

I think you were thinking a bit too hard about this, no offense :lol:. The time compression ratio of 1:6 in multiplayer is valid, but not for this calcualtion, because it does not correspond with the map scale, like in singleplayer.

Considering most of the map is in scale 1:19 - this applies to time, distances, fuel consumption etc., then 1000 km in game translates to about 52,5 km in real life. This will take you about 39 min in real time, when driving 80km/h, not matter if you are in singleplayer or multiplayer.

Time is scaled up inside cities, some truck stops and other places to 1:3, if I recall correctly, and this also means that distances are scaled up as well for these places.

23 minutes ago, Granite said:

I think you were thinking a bit too hard about this, no offense :lol:. The time compression ratio of 1:6 in multiplayer is valid, but not for this calcualtion, because it does not correspond with the map scale, like in singleplayer.

Considering most of the map is in scale 1:19 - this applies to time, distances, fuel consumption etc., then 1000 km in game translates to about 52,5 km in real life. This will take you about 39 min in real time, when driving 80km/h, not matter if you are in singleplayer or multiplayer.

Time is scaled up inside cities, some truck stops and other places to 1:3, if I recall correctly, and this also means that distances are scaled up as well for these places.

No offence taken.

I thank your for your input!

I wasn't aware that the map scale in multiplayer differs from single player. To my knowledge only UK has a different scale to the rest of the European map. 

However, according to my time measures the time ratio in multiplayer doesn't differ between driving in a city, driving outside of a city, driving in the UK or parking.

Could you take some time measurements so we get another source?

On 1/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, StateCA (NL) said:

Which speed difference? You understand speed is only a sum of distance over time, right? If you arrived at the same time it meant that yours and his average speed were the same.

It's very nice that he overtook you with 110. But it also means that he did way slower than 90 in other parts.

So your argument that 90 and 110 makes no difference is busted by your own words...

i busted everyones thinking that 110 does better or best ....   

he had to slow down many times more then i needed to doe his crazy speeding but thats logical ....   

Archived