1.38 Development Update

Digital

9 hours ago, Manager/Tyler Pence said:

Is there anymore update on theRelease  yet?

Yeah   17 hours ago, mwl4 s

Posted with how coding truckersmp works. and he also said that if patron don't increase in getting income he can't  tend to truckersmp full time . turns out his a programmer for another gaming company.  So yeah good luck patrons trying to make as much income as a full studio can so    mwl4 s could work full time on truckersmp.

Just so nobody gets bent out of shape(upset) let me give you my translation of what @mwl4 said.

1. He works a real job @ CD Projekt Red(if you don't know, they are making Cyberpunk 2077...VERY popular up and coming game) pays bills WAY more than TMP Paetron donations.

2. Although Paetron's from TMP are very generous!! They do not give him the ability to leave his job at CDPR to work on TMP full time. Therefore, he can only work on it in his spare time. This is not a cry for more Paetron money.

3. The job of programming code in TMP is something that is EXTREMELY high end from a programmers view, hence hiring another programmer on would be near impossible unless they wanted to work for peanuts or had a passion for TMP like @mwl4 does. It' not that he's against it.

4. TMP is not done , just being done slowly. MANY things contribute to this...Real life job, SCS changing the code, SCS adding code(new sounds ect), GF/Wife wants him to do the dishes.....you know what I mean.

5. This is my take on this.

Have a little faith brothers, he wouldn't be posting if he didn't care about you all. 

Throw him an extra $10 this week if ya can. Maybe it will help in the long run.

Remember, he was doing this for free out of pocket LONG before donations started...show some love!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7
  • True Story 1

Well, one of mine never said that TMP should take precedence over real life. Also, I never said it was an easy task.

But due to the fact that it is a "voluntary" task, it does not mean that you are a player who is the patron and that you appreciate the performance without having to leave any information.

My posts are just about getting more information.

I am in patron to show someone that I am happy with my work. But if there is no more information or you don't see any progress, why should you invest money?

Here it is only a maximum of $ 5, but let's think about it.

There is a company in which we don’t invest 5 $ but 1500 $ as a patron because we like to see the product on the market.

But then there is no more information for 4 weeks. Does it make sense to continue to invest $ 1500 in this project if you don't get any real information?

It's the same here. When I try to get information about the current state of affairs with my posts, I always get the same answer:

Hard and a lot of work!

Yes, we are still there!

Evidence or state of affairs? Nothing ...

As long as I don't see any progress, I'm no longer willing to be a patron. Especially because we have to drive our VTC UpToDate for the purpose of software and therefore only drive in the SP for weeks.

And yes, that is our decision! Just like us patrons from our shipping company, we don’t have to donate money to TMP for the time being.

Some of the patrons also have a real life and have to work for their money and every donation hurts them.

Maybe you slowly understand what I'm about.

Simply for more clarity and information !!

P.S: Googel Translation

2 minutes ago, BigBahamut /:\GER/:\ said:

Some of the patrons also have a real life and have to work for their money and every donation hurts them.

Sorry, but it is your own decision. Why should you make that decision if it hurts you financially? There is no obligation of you to support us financially at all. This is for the loyal players, who are willing to spend their spare money towards securing the near future for TruckersMP.

10 minutes ago, BigBahamut /:\GER/:\ said:

Simply for more clarity and information !!

Of course, we want to give you more information, we just can not find ways to wrap the boring and obscure part of our development in something that you all can easily comprehend. Also, there is a time aspect - mwl4 (as one and only source of core development news) has a limited time to work with updates, let alone writing a periodic newsletter with all the changes done in code.

"We can decode his boring and obscure stuff", you say? Okay, but what "305 of 507 functions are ported" information can give you? This is not even an estimate. Like I said earlier with the progress percentage example, you can not expect that 202 remaining functions will be done in the exact time that first 305. You can brainstorming one and only thing for months with no huge success or just find a way to do it in seconds thanks to experience and a little bit of luck. This is a reverse engineering nature, you can't be sure how much time will be spent on the development.

As you can see with mwl4's recent comment, there is also a network code that can be improved, but you can't spend much time on it when you have nothing to synchronize - you need to make all the changes to the core engine to support the latest game version.

We appreciate your support, it is really valuable. It is mind-blowing to see that huge support over a fan project, moral and financial. There is so much we can and want to do. If only we can have more spare time without hurting real-life experience...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • True Story 4

26 minutes ago, CJMAXiK said:

Of course, we want to give you more information, we just can not find ways to wrap the boring and obscure part of our development in something that you all can easily comprehend. Also, there is a time aspect - mwl4 (as one and only source of core development news) has a limited time to work with updates, let alone writing a periodic newsletter with all the changes done in code.

"We can decode his boring and obscure stuff", you say? Okay, but what "305 of 507 functions are ported" information can give you? This is not even an estimate. Like I said earlier with the progress percentage example, you can not expect that 202 remaining functions will be done in the exact time that first 305. You can brainstorming one and only thing for months with no huge success or just find a way to do it in seconds thanks to experience and a little bit of luck. This is a reverse engineering nature, you can't be sure how much time will be spent on the development.

As you can see with mwl4's recent comment, there is also a network code that can be improved, but you can't spend much time on it when you have nothing to synchronize - you need to make all the changes to the core engine to support the latest game version.

We appreciate your support, it is really valuable. It is mind-blowing to see that huge support over a fan project, moral and financial. There is so much we can and want to do. If only we can have more spare time without hurting real-life experience...

Don't get it wrong: BUT .....

It is just misunderstood what I am talking about ?

I know how difficult the work is.

I know that I wouldn't understand the way to work ... But that's not what I wrote in my posts here.

I just won't expect a player like me to be understood anymore.

But one more thing should be said.

I have patience, that was never an issue here!

I know how hard the work is. That was never the topic here either!

I hope it will be ready soon, even if I have a different opinion because you haven't even said "Yes, we are on the way, we are getting closer to our goal towards 1.38 ... Even such an unimportant sentence without a date does not come .

Greetings BigBahamut

20 minutes ago, BigBahamut /:\GER/:\ said:

I hope it will be ready soon, even if I have a different opinion because you haven't even said "Yes, we are on the way, we are getting closer to our goal towards 1.38 ... Even such an unimportant sentence without a date does not come .

Like I said, you can't say "we're getting closer" for sure. The reason why we don't share any ETA or updating your on a progress more frequently - you can't be too sure and we can not set high expectations just for them to be ruined when reality doesn't meet them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • True Story 1

2 hours ago, CJMAXiK said:

Like I said, you can't say "we're getting closer" for sure. The reason why we don't share any ETA or updating your on a progress more frequently - you can't be too sure and we can not set high expectations just for them to be ruined when reality doesn't meet them.

Do you see the next post?

I mean that. Such questions keep coming up because there is no longer an appointment at all. Believe me when I say that many just expect: "Sorry folks. You have to wait at least 2 more weeks"

You shouldn't throw out an ETA, but crumbs, that's usually enough ?

Greetings BigBahamut

But it's not like I don't understand you ? It's always difficult to get everyone right.

Greetings BigBahamut

23 minutes ago, BigBahamut /:\GER/:\ said:

Do you see the next post?

I mean that. Such questions keep coming up because there is no longer an appointment at all. Believe me when I say that many just expect: "Sorry folks. You have to wait at least 2 more weeks"

You shouldn't throw out an ETA, but crumbs, that's usually enough ?

Greetings BigBahamut

But it's not like I don't understand you ? It's always difficult to get everyone right.

Greetings BigBahamut

I have seen companys put out ETA's and  when company's failed to meet the ETA's the community got ticked off and plus you really can't put an ETA on revese engeering Cause ANYTHING can Happen. How many more times do the project team and members of the community have to explain this too you?

Read, understand & comment. I can handle that. Not with any other!

I never wrote that I want an ETA !!!

But is good. Keep people asking cheerfully.

I don't see anyone wanting to go into detail about those who keep TMP where it is. Free to play for everyone!

I am now out of this Thema.

When TMP is back and we can happily ride it again without the big gap to SCS or Promod, we'll see. Maybe then it will be patronage again.

Until then.

P.S: Google Translation

Let it go, BigBahamut. The last ETA (end of August, beginning of September) has also passed. It wouldn't do any good anyway. : /
I am also disappointed that the update takes so long. But I also know that nothing will change in the short term anyway because the requirements are missing. Getting upset doesn't help either.

My only hope is that they will have to come up with something in the medium and long term!

In any case, the way things are currently going cannot go on.

With that in mind, for now, do the same and wait :)

• Like 1

• Community Manager

I think people underestimate how much time it can also cost to write a proper status update where you are correct, maintain a language everyone can understand and not promising things you cannot live up to. I'd rather have that mwl4 spends that time on updating the source code rather than explaining things here.

The update will come when it is ready. What is so wrong in playing 1.37 in the meanwhile (or 1.38 in single player if you rather have that). The choice is yours.

There is no point in saying we are at 95% now while that last 5% will cost you more time than that 95% for instance. With more annoyed users as 95% means it is almost done doesn't it?

If you want to support the project and can afford to do so become a patreon but don't expect faster updates or being kept up to date about current afairs just because you became a patreon. This is a community driven project which unfortunately  also means it is a project for people's spare time. But on the plus side peolple are dedicated to TruckersMP so appreciate the time spend in people's spare time to ensure you can play the game with other users. For now at 1.37 but later on at 1.38 and later also 1.39 etc. Enjoy the events the event team organizes for you, the moderators that keep discord and the forum a better place, the media guys who create and post the most beautiful content and all the other staff that work hard and with passion in their spare time.

But what is the point in discussing when 1.38 will come? It won't come any faster by discussing it over and over again. It just creates annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • HaulieLove 1
  • True Story 1

Groet / Sincerly,

Pascal (Purrie)

First off, I don't want to put any hate towards the dev team or really any of the team. I've played the mod since the day it came out for ATS and combined between games I probably have over 700 hours in MP. I love the mod and have been thinking about becoming a patron, but I agree with many of the concerns voiced in this thread. I am disappointed by the lack of communication as a whole from this... situation we'll call it. Since the original news post we have heard little to nothing and what we did hear was something mwl4 took time out of his job and development to write. I feel that the news team should have better communication with developers in relaying information. I don't want full length blog posts, I just want a quick sentence every once in awhile like "Hey, we hit a small roadblock, add a day or two to our estimate" or "Well, we found a much easier way to do the part we were dreading, take off a bit of time". Not exactly like that but you get the point.

Now onto the development side- I feel like you guys should try to get into contact with SCS about a potential partnership of sorts. If so much of the time is spent reverse engineering to find the source code, having a communication line with SCS to have that code to start with would, in theory, speed up the process a lot. As others have mentioned, without multiplayer much of the ATS/ETS2 playerbase is gone, so it'd be in SCS' best interest to partner. I understand their concerns with doing it themselves and I think you guys have done a great job of getting things generally working as a system, so there isn't a need for SCS to redo it themselves.

@BigBahamut /:\GER/:\, you make great points and I agree with most all of what you've said. You're being respectful about it and I think that's a great thing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CarCat said:

As others have mentioned, without multiplayer much of the ATS / ETS2 playerbase is gone, so it'd be in SCS 'best interest to partner. I understand their concerns with doing it themselves and I think you guys have done a great job of getting things generally working as a system, so there isn't a need for SCS to redo it themselves.

SCS have a mutual agreement with TMP, however the two will never join...As Pavel himself said " we tolerate each other " he even ref to the mod as a " battle royal " mode....SCS are going in the WOT Contracts route, using that system to create a virtual online economy in real time ( like how the recent events have worked ). 

10 hours ago, Bed Bound Jazzyduster said:

im not going to downgrade everytime steam does updates

Nobody forces you to do it, the decision is yours alone.

5 hours ago, Digital said:

Hi everyone! ?

Thanks for that updated informations ;) I appreciate your detailed explanations.

5 hours ago, Digital said:

Hi everyone! ? I have been reading through the last few pages of comments, and though I cannot answer all of them individually, I can see the main concern here is a lack of smaller updates on the progress. This is something I would like to address here, and continue to do so more regularly in the future. Although, bare in mind it won't be possible everyday, it's simply not possible. But if there is any significant change in development, I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as possible, right here in this topic.

Just like everyone else, I'm a big supporter of TruckersMP and can understand why you are feeling frustrated and impatient with us. I often see it with a lot of my favourite game developers where we won't receive information or updates for months... it's awful! Luckily, my position here helps me to understand why we're in the current situation, so the aim with the development updates is to be level with you guys and share all the details we know. 

With that said, here is what's currently going on. While on the surface it seems no progress is being made, behind the scenes I have been in contact with mwl4 regularly to chase on the current progress. As it turns out, we are edging closer to 1.38, but there's plenty more work to do yet.

Here's a little insight to help you understand the current progress:

There are 3 stages to the porting process: Functions porting, classes porting, hooks porting. The first stage is what takes the longest. Weeks, months even. Last weekend a lot of work went into the second stage, so hopefully that will be done at some point this week.

Then it will be the third stage, which mwl4 reckons will take only a few days. After this stage, the multiplayer client will be working on the latest build (1.38), but there are a few more days of bug fixing and testing required (checking for broken functionality, game crashes, etc). Our team of over 180 people will have access to a development environment, and are given specific tasks by the developers. Other than that, the aim is to essentially try to break the client. Test everything you possibly can, and if something doesn't work, they report it and it is fixed. If it can't be fixed in a reasonable time and isn't a game-breaking bug, it's taken note of and will be worked on and pushed as a hot-fix at a later date. An example of this is the sound bug which was presented in 1.37 (this is still being looked into, but is a very, very complex issue).

With this current progress then, it appears there are only roughly two weeks until it's ready. However, take this with a pinch of salt. We are not promising a release date, as in this kind of development, any damaging bugs or issues can cause a setback to anywhere from a few hours, days, or weeks.

So, I hope this smaller update was somewhat useful to you. I will spend some time with mwl4 in a few days to check the current progress, and report back if anything significant is brought up. Until then, stay safe and keep on being awesome. ?

Thank you so much.

I think that is exactly what many expected here, in the first place of course me because of my post here ?

But exactly what you wrote was on my heart. With your answer we know that it still takes, but we now really understand why the most important aspect is: We see with your answer: you are fully involved and let us participate.

Thanks again.

Greetings BigBahamut

• Like 1