Sudden Steering with Keyboard

[GER] Schlumpf

Question

Hi there!

Since about 2 month I have a big problem with ETS2 / TMP. My truck suddenly steers to the right or left without doing anything. I AM USING THE KEYBOARD ONLY.

I've read about that problem several times, but normaly its caused by steering wheels. So all of those tipps and tricks did not help me at all, because I can't set rotation axles and stuff by using just the keyboard. I already did a lot of searching for that problem that occours to other players aswell, but haven't found much helping stuff for now. What I've tried already

- reset my keyboard configuration and reconfigured it to my needs

- deleted the AFK-Bot-Text, so nothing is written to the chat while driving

- tried different steering intensities

- used different trucks w/ loaded and unloaded trailers and even without trailer

It happens suddenly and w/o any warning. It's no special moment or place or speed or anything, so I don't have any idea why or when or due to what. It doesn't matter if I am loonely or if there are hundreds of other players around me. It doesn't depend on the FPS as far as I know. It comes in curves or on straight streets. I really have no idea but I have to solve that problem. As far as I know I haven't had that issue in singleplayer, but I hat it very often in TMP. Just in the convoi yesterday it happens 3 times. The driver behind me had it twice that evening.

That issue is quite tricky, because for others it could seem like I steered toward them for ramming, blocking or stuff like that! I do not want to end up with a ban because of that stupid issue! Sure, it is possible to stop that sudden sharp steering by hitting the left or right arrow the direction the truck is moving, BUT NOT THAT QUICK. Also it is unnatural to steer in the direction the truck is breaking out. The normal reaction is to steer to the other side to avoid an accident, but unfortunately this is the most fatal thing you can do - but you always will...

So please help me solving that damn issue. I am member of the VTC "Auf Achse" and we do a lot of convois and there is no place for uncontrolable trucks. And of course it doesn't make fun anyways.

8 answers to this question

Hi Schlumpf,

maybe this can help:

And if that fails, you could check with a recording via OBS and the overlay from the video below, if there is an actual faulty input is present.

Also it could be worth checking with different keyboards or another input device (e.g. a game pad, you could borrow if you don't own one) to see if the problem persists across various input options.

I've already found that first video, but it is meant for using a steering wheel and seems not to work with keyboard only.

The other thing looks interesting, but for any reason no streaming tool works for me or I am too dump to use them. I will have to try it later again.

The load doesn't mind. Not the weight, if axles are steerable or not and not the length on the trailer. Also it has nothing to do with braking because it happens at full speed.

Unfortnately I have noone to lend another keyboard or gamepad or anything like that.

In the meantime I tested along and after my last tour from Stuttgart to Dijon I did not use the cruise control. Normaly I use that because its hard to hold speed by using the keyboard. This time I just put in the speed limiter and tried to keep the speed downhill under 100 kph (trucksbook tour). On the whole 542 km I had no issue. Maybe this was just happenstance and I can't really imagine how the cruise control could effect the steering, but this is what I found out. And after that I found a steam post, where someone made the same experience. Doesn't make any sense for me and I really want to keep on using that cruise-control, but at the moment I will have an eye on this option and will keep on driving w/o cruise control for some time to see, if it has to anything with that. On one hand I hope it does, so I know how to "fix" that problem. On the other hand I hope its not the cruise control, because I really enjoy using that function.

I will let you know soon...

€dit:

Now I am unsure. I just drove a convoi with more than 1300 km, did not use the cruise control and had no problem. The driver behind (also using keyboard) was using the cruise control and had no problems and just 5 to 10 minutes after he had deactivated it, he slammed into a wall, because of the steering issue. Now is the question: Did I have no problems because I did not use the cruise control or was it just luck? And if it was okay because of not using it, why the driver behind me had this issue after he stopped using it???

Edited by [GER] Schlumpf

I would check in the controls settings, at the very top, that the device is set specifically to "keyboard only", and there is no other controller subtype, this should disable all analog input and all analog settings will be greyed out.

Also, while there, check "steering sensitivity" and "steering non-linearity" settings, both should be left in default position, close to the left for the former and all the way left for the latter.

Edit: I've just spotted your last post, while driving with cruise control, do you have transmission with retarder with automatic retarder function enabled?

I've had some really bad problems, but only when going down a steep hills, allowing my truck to gain too much speed and then engaging cc and trying to reduce the speed by setting cc lower, the retarder kicks in with too much force, resulting in sudden steering, sometimes completely losing it. This usually only happens when you are already in a slight turn, and your load is somewhat heavy, and this only happened to me with Scania trucks - for some reason, automatic retarder seems to be much stronger on Scanias, than any other truck. Manual retarder, or exhaust brake don't cause this problem.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, Granite said:
  1. I would check in the controls settings, at the very top, that the device is set specifically to "keyboard only"
  2. Also, while there, check "steering sensitivity" and "steering non-linearity" settings, both should be left in default position, close to the left for the former and all the way left for the latter.
  3. do you have transmission with retarder with automatic retarder function enabled?

1. Control settings are and have always been "keyboard only". The rest is greyed out.
  2. non-linearity is on the very far left, putting the sensitivity to the very left would be not practical for driving, because it would be too slow on turning. also i've just adjusted this menu option serveral days ago first, but the issue has been there much longer.
  3. Yes I always use transmission with retarder. I have to check if it makes any change when I use another transmission. As far as I remember the issue accoured with nearly every truck thats in the game. Also the issue came up uphill, downhill and on smooth terrain.
  4. NO, my problem is not solved yet. Please give me some time to find out what the problem really is. I tell you when I can definetely have solved the issue.

€dit (12.08.2020):

It is NOT caused by the cruise control. I did not use this function in 2 convoys. At first I had no problems, but just 10 min ago in another one my truck suddenly steered to the right on the motorway right infront of another driver who wanted to overtake. Luckily I crashed into the barrier and not into the other truck. Hopefuly he did not report me. I said sorry, but whatelese could I have said?

So please... if anyone has another idea where that stupid issue could come from, please let me know. @Mods: please do not close this thread. It seems to be the only one with this issue for now. But I know that others have the same problem so maybe there is someone who has an idea...

Edited by [GER] Schlumpf
UPDATE

Hello there!

Your topic has been inactive for 3 days since the last reply.

Due to the inactivity, I will have to move this topic to Inactive Topics.

If you still have any questions about this, feel free to DM our support team members, we will open this again.

Thanks to all for participation!

Warm Regards,
Stubborn__
TruckersMP - Support

//Locked and Moved to Inactive.

• Like 1

Hello there,

Your topic has been inactive for 1 week since the last reply.
Because of inactivity, I will have to move this topic to unsolved Topics.

Thanks to all participation.

Sincerely,
General18
TruckersMP - Support

//Locked and Moved to Unsolved.

General18

TruckersMP

My supported languages: English, Danish

Support | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback | How To Downgrade