Introducing the Bad sport server. A new step into guiding Trollers to the right path

2Core

Suggestion Name: Introducing the Bad sport server. A new step into guiding Trollers to the right path.

Suggestion Description:
Give temporarily banned players (further referred to as "Bad drivers") a chance to improve their behaviour in a server before they're getting access to all TMP's servers again. As in, before their ban period is over.

This server should only act as a server for Bad drivers. Players who have no temporarily ban (further referred to as "Normal players") won't be able to connect to this server. The same goes for Bad drivers, they won't be able to choose any other server (like sim 1, sim 2, arcade, etc.).

Any example images:

A quick demonstration to give you a better idea of my suggestion.

1717923290_Badsportserverconnection-min.thumb.png.b8c7e26ee1108478efd9e9174a54bb84.png

Why should it be added?:

One of the goals of temporarily banning players is most likely to try to get them to behave normally once their ban period is over.

I'd like to list the advantages/disadvantages of the current situation and the desired situation.

The current situation:

Spoiler

Makes it difficult for Bad drivers to get motivated to learn to behave and drive normally.

• They're not being guided at all.
  • The current situation is like: "stay away from our Normal players and come back once your ban period is over". It's definitely not: "stay away from our Normal players, learn to correct what you did wrong to our Normal players and come back once you learned how to behave normal".
    • Both quotes have one thing in common: trying to make Bad drivers to behave normal. Yet, you probably prefer to hear the second quote over the first one. As the second one is guiding the Bad driver to the right path instead of leaving him alone and hoping for him to suddenly behave normal without receiving any guidance.

TMP is in theory taking away something from the Bad drivers (access to the servers), which can lead into them being negative about TMP.

• This negativity can remain in their minds even when their ban period is over. Which can motivate them to still misbehave after their ban period is over. The bad driver might want to express his anger to Normal players for having something taken away from them.

The desired situation:

Spoiler

• Bad drivers are getting guided to the right path by giving them access to the Bad sport server. This way, they get the chance to learn to behave normal in a real situation (as in, in sim 1, sim 2, etc).
  • TMP is not taking away much from these Bad drivers. Which can reduce the negativity towards an action taken by a Game moderator. This can lead into a positive effect whenever the Bad driver's ban period is over. There's a possibility of this positive effect causing less reports to be made, which means the bans will be reduced, which could lead into having to deal with less appeals. So, in the end: this little positive effect can allow your report/game/any moderator to save some of their time. Which results into less pressure on their work.
  • This server's configuration could be just like Arcade's. Except: there's a speed limit on this server.
    • This configuration allows Bad drivers to practice their skills and improve them. For example: Not ramming into players, not speeding, behaving normal to other Bad drivers/players.
  • Letting the Bad drivers play with each other in a server motivates them to socialize and drive together which can lead into positivity. Just like how it's done with Math: negative multiplied by negative equals to positive. :truestory:
  • It's just like in real life. The players/team members from The Netherlands are probably familiar with the course called "Educatieve Maatregel Gedrag en verkeer" (EMG). Word-for-word translation: Educational Measure Behaviour and Traffic. This course is provided by CBR. CBR is known for administering driving tests to the general public in The Netherlands [1].
    The course is for drivers who were required by a police officer to follow this course because of them driving dangerously/risky on the road. [2]

Spoiler

2Core from the future told me to answer a couple of questions from players who showed interest to this suggestion in a unique way.

1. Why spend your time and energy to Bad drivers?
    Well, we all want to have players to behave normal. Not guiding them doesn't make everyone's experience better, it's the result we see today.
    Bad drivers will still misbehave even after receiving a first ban which still leads into receiving a lot of reports. An example: you probably want to extinguish a fire in a forest even when it's located far away from the population instead of leaving the fire alone and hoping for it to extinguish itself.
  2. Alright, but why would you want to guide Bad drivers by providing them a server?
    The Bad sport server's goal is to recreate the game servers’ atmosphere. It's sort of allowing them to practice their skills to start to learn to behave normal while not taking away much from them. Also, they get to socialize with other Bad drivers, which can lead into positive behaviour/friendships/rides together.
  3. Right now, the servers are already asking too much time of Game moderators. Adding the Bad sport server would only make this worse, doesn't it?
    No, it doesn't. I can't imagine the need for a Game moderator to moderate the Bad sport server. Collision is not enabled (just like the Arcade server) and Bad drivers are in theory already temporarily banned.
  4. Again, why would you spend your money/resources to provide a server for Bad drivers?
    TMP already works with the strategic of having a (physical) server host multiple game servers. As in, not every server is only being used to provide one service. For example: server A can host both Arcade and Event game servers at the same time.
  5. What's your suggestion to make great use of TMP's resources?
    Lower the number of slots on the Arcade server and use those slots to provide a Bad sport server to Bad drivers. You most likely won't need to provide thousands of slots to the Bad sport server. 500 slots might be even too much for this kind of server. On top of that: 50% of Arcade's slots is rarely being used.
  6. Can't the Bad drivers just go to single player and play the game offline?
    They can, but they most likely won't. SP and MP doesn't deliver the same experience to players. Taking away MP from Bad drivers, won't motivate them much to launch SP. They came to MP to play with real people. Creating an environment (Bad sport server) where they're still able to play with other Bad drivers, while being away from Normal players allows them to continue to experience MP while trying to practice behaving normal. The Bad sport server is just like a simulation of Sim 1. It's like the fact that ETS 2 itself is a simulation of real-life trucking.
  7. Why are you wasting your time to write this suggestion? Do you have an active ban or does your friends have one?
    First, my suggestion is not related to any data shown on my profile. Go look at my profile. Neither do my friends have any bans. Most of my (in real life) friends aren't even interested into playing simulation games, lmao.
    To come back to the first part of the question: I keep seeing people complain about Bad drivers. Complaining about this won't make it easy for everyone to come up with a solution. That's why I decided to contribute to the whole "Road to Simulation" campaign by writing this suggestion.
  8. I have one more question that's not answered yet, how can I ask this question to you?
    If you're really excited about this suggestion. Whether that's in my favour or not, send me a private message. Please don't discuss about this suggestion in open places like, the open channels on TMP Discord server or other places. Either send me a private message or wait until this suggestion gets opened for discussion (assuming this suggestion is going to be interesting to many people, which might never be the case).

I hope you'll look into this suggestion from different perspectives. Please try not to have your opinion based upon your experience with a Bad driver. For example: The one who rammed onto you, yesterday evening. Try to look at this suggestion from different perspectives... Try to look for the advantages/disadvantages.

Disclaimer: I've used a lot of different words within my post to describe a group of people. Words like: trollers, bad drivers and banned players. All these words refer to a group of players being temporarily banned.

TL; DR: Check the spoilers + the image to get an idea of my suggestion.

Thank you for those of you who showed interest into this suggestion by looking at it. Big shout out to those of you who took their time to read my suggestion.
I appreciate each one of you reserving your time to look at my suggestion.

I hope you have a great day. Hit me up if you want to ride together at some point in the future. ?

Footnotes

[1] https://www.cbr.nl/nl/over-het-cbr/over/about-cbr.htm 

[2] (only available in Dutch) https://www.cbr.nl/nl/onveilig-rijgedrag/nl/mijn-rijbewijs-is-ingevorderd-wat-nu/onveilig-gedrag-in-het-verkeer/cursus-over-verantwoord-rijgedrag-emg-1.htm 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

• 9 months later...
  • Project Manager

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion.

We will not implement a server for banned players or similar. 

However, we are currently considering how players banned for specific reasons could still be able to play without affecting other players. For example, players who got banned for insulting others could be chat- & CB-banned for a specific time. 

Regarding your suggestion, we could review the possibility to give players banned for road-rules-related reasons access to the Arcade server. This way, their driving does not affect anyone and they could still play with their (not banned) friends. This would require us to have an automated system differentiating between a Reckless Driving ban and a Hacking/Ban Evading ban which we don't have at the moment. 

TL;DR: Maybe in the future but it's too difficult for us to implement with the current system.

Have an awesome week!

Luna

//Rejected

• Upvote 1

Appeal your banSubmit feedback | Have a nice day 🧡