Recording games via Medal or other services

FloatYourBoat

Question

Hi helpful forum peoples!

I'm really struggling to get any decent quality on game recordings.

I've only started on TruckersMP about a month and a bit ago and I've started recording snippets after a player deliberately rammed me and blocked my way last month. As I didn't have evidence I couldn't complete the report form.

I'm very new to the whole recording gaming thing and I really don't know what's best. A friend recommended Medal and I've tried that. But no matter what settings I use, the videos and associated audio are very jittery. 

Are there any better services to use?

Tech Specs: I'm on a gaming laptop atm, with an Nvidia Geforce 940MX graphics card, 12B RAM and an SSD.  

Cheers in advance! :)

4 answers to this question

• Business Analyst

Hey, welcome to TruckersMP. One of our team members has written a guide on which software you could use to record your gameplay and how to set it up. I recommend you to give it a read: https://truckersmp.com/knowledge-base/article/788. Personally, I mainly use Medal and as backup the Windows Game Bar, in case Medal would fail. The main advantage of Medal is that it's extremely easy to trim your clips and the upload times are very low. Windows Game Bar works fine too, but trimming takes more time and you will need to upload your videos to a third party website such as YouTube. The latter takes way more time, so Medal is more convenient in that sense. For high quality recordings, I'd recommend NVIDIA GeForce Experience. Overall, it comes down to your personal preference, so the best practice is to try various software out and pick your favourites. Good luck and have fun!

Hey there,

Thanks for creating a forum topic! My name is Stubborn__ from the TruckersMP Support Team :) 

There are many, many different recording software's that you can use to record gameplay, and each with varying quality and ease of use. 

I also use Medal, but in the past have also used OBS, GeForce Experience and Windows Game Bar and probably many others that I used too long ago to remember :D

Windows Game Bar has improved a lot over time, so I would suggest giving that ago. However, if your GPU also allows you to use GeForce Experience to record, I would recommend that over anything as it doesn't use CPU encoding, which saves computer resources so your game will run more smoothly. OBS is very thorough and configurable, but can be quite heavy on your CPU depending on the settings you choose. I think you maybe are able to use GPU encoding on OBS and Medal which would solve the problem but I cannot say for definite. 

I hope this helps and be sure to get back to me if you have any further questions!

Kind Regards,

Stubborn

TruckersMP - Support

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stubborn__ said:

Hey there,

Thanks for creating a forum topic! My name is Stubborn__ from the TruckersMP Support Team :) 

There are many, many different recording software's that you can use to record gameplay, and each with varying quality and ease of use. 

I also use Medal, but in the past have also used OBS, GeForce Experience and Windows Game Bar and probably many others that I used too long ago to remember :D

Windows Game Bar has improved a lot over time, so I would suggest giving that ago. However, if your GPU also allows you to use GeForce Experience to record, I would recommend that over anything as it doesn't use CPU encoding, which saves computer resources so your game will run more smoothly. OBS is very thorough and configurable, but can be quite heavy on your CPU depending on the settings you choose. I think you maybe are able to use GPU encoding on OBS and Medal which would solve the problem but I cannot say for definite. 

I hope this helps and be sure to get back to me if you have any further questions!

Kind Regards,

Stubborn

TruckersMP - Support

Thanks @Stubborn__, very helpful! I'll have a run through a few of those and see if I can get better performance. :D 

Hello there! :)

Because of 'Best answer' has been selected, I suppose your problem has been resolved.

Thank you to everyone for helping here!

If you require more help in the future, please do not hesitate to create another Topic or a Support Ticket.

Kind Regards,

General18

TruckersMP - Support

//locked and moved to Solved Topics.

General18

TruckersMP

My supported languages: English, Danish

Support | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback | How To Downgrade