Floating gears in real

Carolina_Trucking

So in my own experience, it seems like I'm missing the gears less if I bring the RPMs up to around 2,500, with the turbo no longer whistling, and then let the RPMS fall to 1,500 to shift. I'm missing the gears a lot more if I only bring the RPMs to 2,000, instead of 2,500.

For anyone familiar with real life trucks, is bringing the RPMs to 2,500 too high? Will the turbo actually stop whistling at around 2,500?

I don't have an H-pattern shifter on my wheel so I don't know how accurately ATS mirrors real shifting behavior, but you have a couple issues that would cause you to miss shifts in a real truck.  First, you're winding out way too far.  You should be shifting before 2000 RPM, really closer to 1800 with most engines.  And you're letting the RPM drop too far.  Each shift will drop only a few hundred RPM, which is why you have 10+ gears.  If you're using a transmission in game that is an automatic in reality, like an Allison, they are a completely different animal altogether.

11 minutes ago, HAR_Sabre said:

I don't have an H-pattern shifter on my wheel so I don't know how accurately ATS mirrors real shifting behavior, but you have a couple issues that would cause you to miss shifts in a real truck.  First, you're winding out way too far.  You should be shifting before 2000 RPM, really closer to 1800 with most engines.  And you're letting the RPM drop too far.  Each shift will drop only a few hundred RPM, which is why you have 10+ gears.  If you're using a transmission in game that is an automatic in reality, like an Allison, they are a completely different animal altogether.

I'm using an 18 speed manual, with the cat engine.

Just going by my time from the game, it seems on flat ground, you have to at least bring the RPMs up to 2000, before allowing it to fall to float up a gear. So, L6 to L7. I'm not sure about going from L to H, or to H to L.

On another note, in real life, does the turbo sound actually die out a lot during high RPMs?

On 7/12/2020 at 9:06 PM, Carolina_Trucking said:

On another note, in real life, does the turbo sound actually die out a lot during high RPMs?

Sorry, been busy and just saw your replies.  It really depends on the exhaust system on the truck, but generally no, the turbo will never go silent.  Straight pipes will let the turbo scream and good mufflers will quiet it down to just a whisper.  After a couple years of trucking, I was done with the straight pipes and the truck in my avatar had very quiet mufflers by choice, but I could still hear the turbo all the way through the RPM range.

RL I drove a 10 speed Mack R model. In game 18 speed Kenworth 900. To get good at floating gears, stop trying to read RPMs. The best way to float including in game is by sound. Eaton Fuller trans doesnt have to wind up or down as bad as the old Macks did so shifting is much faster. Also driving the 18 speeds is not hard if ya got a shifter. You gotta remember those boys are skipping gears. Empty you skip 2 or 3 and loaded you probably use every other gear on flat land. This video taught me a lot for 18 speeds.

How to drive an 18 speed

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, blkdeath75 said:

RL I drove a 10 speed Mack R model. In game 18 speed Kenworth 900. To get good at floating gears, stop trying to read RPMs. The best way to float including in game is by sound. Eaton Fuller trans doesnt have to wind up or down as bad as the old Macks did so shifting is much faster. Also driving the 18 speeds is not hard if ya got a shifter. You gotta remember those boys are skipping gears. Empty you skip 2 or 3 and loaded you probably use every other gear on flat land. This video taught me a lot for 18 speeds.

How to drive an 18 speed

I probably should give it a go, but I don't think the sound works good in game as real life?

On 7/13/2020 at 1:57 AM, Carolina_Trucking said:

So in my own experience, it seems like I'm missing the gears less if I bring the RPMs up to around 2,500, with the turbo no longer whistling, and then let the RPMS fall to 1,500 to shift. I'm missing the gears a lot more if I only bring the RPMs to 2,000, instead of 2,500.

For anyone familiar with real life trucks, is bringing the RPMs to 2,500 too high? Will the turbo actually stop whistling at around 2,500?

Hello everybody,

i alway switch from H-shift to automatic and vice versa.

In the H-shift you can clearly determine yourseld when you switch...

If you drive automatic you can set the mode of the transmission in the controller settings.

If you are of course driving in highperformance mode, the truck will only switch the gear shortly before the rev limiter.

In normal or economical mode, the truck shifts mostly at 1,500 rpm.

Kind regards,

ZaroMW

2032295431_role_GameModeratorLeader(1).p

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Create a Report | Appeal your Ban | Feedback | Rules | Support

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Archived